Random Thought Thread

Night Shift?

MV5BOTFmMmM4Y2EtZDM3NC00NjhlLTkzODItMDk1NmY2NTNiOGU0L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,645,1000_AL_.jpg
Night shift:p

Screenshot_20190914-211748_Photos.jpg

But aren't you worried about the ethics of using ivory on your knife? How do you sleep knowing an elephant died for your knife?

Ha! Just kidding.

You gonna scrimshaw it?
I've been able to stick to mammoth whenever I've actually bought ivory as it does concern me a bit and the mammoths didn't really stand a chance;). That being said, if it's a choice between recycling piano keys or tossing them in the fire...a lot of my personal stuff is going to have ivory accents:cool:.

Hmmm...scrimshaw, haven't actually tried that yet;)

Question for you steel gurus: what type of stainless would this be? It’s said to be 50’s or 60’s vintage, “drop forged, then hand forged.” I have no idea when 440 even came on the scene.

vjKlqQo.jpg
Inox is an old school stainless with less than 1.2% carbon and at least 10.5% chromium
ETA: should’ve said no more than 1.2% carbon, instead of ‘less than’. Corrected by google yet again

Last edited:
Inox is an old school stainless with less than 1.2% carbon and at least 10.5% chromium
ETA: should’ve said no more than 1.2% carbon, instead of ‘less than’. Corrected by google yet again

I’ve had some modern 440 I hated. And then I have an old 70’s Puma that has some pretty impressive 440 (A/B/or C? Don’t recall.). So I’m wondering if stainless of this era sucked, or is actually pretty good. Good to me in this case could be like good ole carbon steel - good sharpening and decent toughness.

I’ve had some modern 440 I hated. And then I have an old 70’s Puma that has some pretty impressive 440 (A/B/or C? Don’t recall.). So I’m wondering if stainless of this era sucked, or is actually pretty good. Good to me in this case could be like good ole carbon steel - good sharpening and decent toughness.
Haven’t had any Inox myself in a long time, but as I recall it sharpens very easily, but doesn’t hold that edge too long. It’s softer than the good ole carbon steels

This is all Nathan's fault;) Border scratched and design layed out:)

View attachment 1197272

Pretty darn pleased, for a first try at scrimshaw:D

View attachment 1197290

I know nothing about engraving, but that never ending knot design is becoming a bit of a signature look for you. Maybe it's a common design that comes in the manual with the starter kit, but you've made it your own with this piece, making it fit the space. It's really cool!

I know nothing about engraving, but that never ending knot design is becoming a bit of a signature look for you. Maybe it's a common design that comes in the manual with the starter kit, but you've made it your own with this piece, making it fit the space. It's really cool!
In the world of engraving, scrollwork is the norm by and large (especially on firearms) but never really did it for me. I've loved Celtic knotwork since high school, and the relative rarity of it in the engraving world is a big part of what pushed me to take the engraving courses 25 years ago. Now that I'm actually getting into it like I wanted to, I intend to stick to what I enjoy...there's already a ton of engravers doing scrollwork;)

Last edited:
Back