Random Thought Thread

Random observation: if Russia wanted to create discord, instability, and division with their interference and misinformation they have been fairly successful. They're winning and we're letting them.

the current division and polarization affecting America right now is a self-inflicted wound. We could stop whenever we want.

Too many people rely upon too few sources of information and are susceptible to the echo chambers. We don't stop to wonder why do we believe what we believe. Too many people "know" what they think about a subject without knowing why they think it.

Random observation: if Russia wanted to create discord, instability, and division with their interference and misinformation they have been fairly successful. They're winning and we're letting them.

the current division and polarization affecting America right now is a self-inflicted wound. We could stop whenever we want.

Too many people rely upon too few sources of information and are susceptible to the echo chambers. We don't stop to wonder why do we believe what we believe. Too many people "know" what they think about a subject without knowing why they think it.

A-fucking-men

we're living in 'interesting times', other than that I will keep my soapbox safely stowed! Meanwhile, I'm watching all the various proceedings with equal parts dread and hope

We don't stop to wonder why do we believe what we believe. Too many people "know" what they think about a subject without knowing why they think it.
I really have a hard time comprehending this part.

I understand being lazy/ignorant/uneducated, but I can't comprehend the 'firm belief' without understanding why. Those types will accept any anecdotal snippet that confirms their bias, but will ignore/reject any data/evidence that contradicts their belief.

I know that I don't know everything. That's why I'm willing to learn.

It's probably one of the reasons why I like CPK so much. Nathan's one of the few folks, willing to take the time to explain things.

It's not just, "Ours are the best". "Why? What, specifically, makes it better than other options?". "You don't need other options, because ours are the best". "Alrighty then..."o_O

Instead of saying that I know what something is, I like to state the facts and point to knowing what it ISNT. Then admitting that I don't know what it is is helpful to me.

It seems more productive and helps build conversations about controversial subjects.

What is it? I dunno. It's not a car. A bike? A submarine? What do you think it is?

Who was that? I dunno. Not your mom, that's for sure.

I've noticed that there are a bunch of false binaries out there is all. It's usually a trap to get you to stop seeking the truth.

Stating that you don't know and showing that there are more options helps break those spells.

Back