Random Thought Thread

With the amount of plane travel in the world nowadays this will be everywhere soon

It will be a monumental task but the authorities will have to scrutinize the air travel manifest originating from the Wuhan province for like 3 weeks prior to Patient Zero having been diagnosed with Coronavirus and then take it from there, and that is only the air travel method from the origins of this contagion! Add land travel to this mess and you have yourself an improbable task trying to backtrack. With China being such an authoritarian country, who knows as to what degree their government will show willingness to be transparent.

It will be a monumental task but the authorities will have to scrutinize the air travel manifest originating from the Wuhan province for like 3 weeks prior to Patient Zero having been diagnosed with Coronavirus and then take it from there, and that is only the air travel method from the origins of this contagion! Add land travel to this mess and you have yourself an improbable task trying to backtrack. With China being such an authoritarian country, who knows as to what degree their government will show willingness to be transparent.

I heard today they had admitted it is now un-containable. Scary stuff

I heard today they had admitted it is now un-containable. Scary stuff

Both of our countries have made crucially pivotal decisions in the past 3+ years. The number of folks in both nations who have stuck to their victorious decision as being almost divine vs those on the losing side who think of the new direction as being a disaster is almost 50-50 with hair-trigger margins! My guess is that we will soon find out if our leaders are indeed the epitome of competence or utter incompetence and failure. Sadly though, this is no gauge for determining real winners and losers but FWIW for this old skeptical bastid, I think that we're up shyte-creek.

Here’s the secret to the Bowie’s ability to penetrate: the point of a proper Bowie is actually not a needle point. It is a very small radius, and the knife is sharpened around the point. Thus, the point of a good Bowie never tears, but it always slices. Not only this, but the clip point of a Bowie actually displaces about 25 percent less volume than a dagger of the same width, so the effort required for insertion is correspondingly less. If this weren’t enough to tip the scales in favor of the Bowie for penetration, here’s the rest of the brilliant engineering behind the point of a Bowie that makes it penetrate so easily: in cross section, the point of a Bowie is composed of a short, stubby triangle, which is the clip, on top of a long, slender triangle, which is the primary edge. The long, slender triangle slices much more efficiently (remember the razor) than the triangle with more abrupt included angles. Thus, the sharpened clip, because it does not slice as well, puts added pressure against the more efficient, thinner primary edge, causing it to do what it does best. It slices and elongates the wound channel. In contrast, the dagger has a cross section of two relatively abrupt triangles, neither of which works as well as the thinner slicing edge of the Bowie.

Till last night, I had not really heard of Billie Eilish! In passing references, I had thought that the radio and such were referring to some guy called Billy Irish! Then to my surprise, I found out that it's actually a young girl with green tinted hair! Sucks to be older and outta the swag loop!

The original reports of low infectivity appear to have been optimismistic. But we still have no reports of droplet transmission - if it were really infective, one would think that the people traveling on planes with the infectied individuals would have begun to display symptoms by now.
There's a family of 5-6 in China who all tested positive for 2019-nCoV after visiting with relatives from Wuhan. The 10 year old was asymptomatic, but popping him in the scanner showed his lungs had signs of pneumonia.

They've confirmed multiple cases of 2nd and 3rd generation transmission. That's why I stated that we'll know for sure in about 2 weeks.

There are still a lot of flights coming in from China. The mayor of Wuhan stated that a few million residents had left the city for Chinese New Year, before the quarantine took effect, and we aren't flagging the flights that aren't directly from Wuhan.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...holding-information-coronavirus-outbreak.html

Not trying to start a panic, but keep your ears to the ground. If you're in a position to do so, consider stocking up on essentials ahead of time. A little extra stored food/provisions and sanitary products won't hurt, and are things that will be used anyway, even if this ends up blowing over fairly quickly.

If we DO see a sudden jump in cases here in the next 10-14 days, the news cycle will blast it 24/7, and folks trying to stock up then, will be competing with the panicked hordes.

The rate of increase in numbers in China is alarming. The CDC's statements of "low-risk to US citizens at this time"...

- the incubation period for 2019-nCoV seems to be as long as 10-14 days
- infected persons are contagious before becoming symptomatic. Some infected may not even become symptomatic, but are still contagious
- an increasing number of doctors and other healthcare workers in Wuhan, are confirmed to have caught 2019-nCoV while tending to patients

Last edited:
The original reports of low infectivity appear to have been optimismistic. But we still have no reports of droplet transmission - if it were really infective, one would think that the people traveling on planes with the infected individuals would have begun to display symptoms by now.

Its more infectious then SARS, both SARS/MERS Primary transmission was by droplets. The Chinese have claimed its airborne for more then a week. You are right in that we are at about the time people should start showing symptoms.

on that note now a 110 new suspected cases are currently being tested in the USA.

I sort of watched the news last night. The breathless talking head said that face masks have sold out in many areas. The CDC says not to bother. A face mask will not protect you from the Coronavirus.

images

I’d like to get one of those plague doctor masks and modernize it by filling the nose with some kind of baffles with nano-structured antimicrobial surfaces, covered with tiny spikes that physically rip the pathogens apart as they tumble over the surfaces through the baffles. Ingesting and breathing the torn up viruses might even inoculate me. Actually, maybe just filling the nose of the mask with baffles made of dragonfly wings would be easiest.
upload_2020-1-29_15-21-37.jpeg

edit- actually I think the spikes on dragonfly wings might be too big to rip up viruses

I’d like to get one of those plague doctor masks and modernize it by filling the nose with some kind of baffles with nano-structured antimicrobial surfaces, covered with tiny spikes that physically rip the pathogens apart as they tumble over the surfaces through the baffles. Ingesting and breathing the torn up viruses might even inoculate me. Actually, maybe just filling the nose of the mask with baffles made of dragonfly wings would be easiest.
View attachment 1274481

edit- actually I think the spikes on dragonfly wings might be too big to rip up viruses

game-of-thrones.jpg

ETA: I think that someone was wearing that tuca-bird mask in my fave hedonistic flick Eyes Wide Shut.

ETA2: Come to think of it, I think that mask will go down really well in KSA since the burka already exists. Maybe you're onto a huge money-maker here Eric :)

View attachment 1274481

fill mine with waffles please

Back