Random Thought Thread

I bought a 2.2 slim, 3.3 slim, and xl. I think the smaller one should be great for my edc, and am hoping the xl will work for belt/no belt. The 3.3 will get used on something I'm sure. Thanks again!

I hope you like them! I personally love mine. My local shop that carries them is out of the Slim 3.3 but I'll be buying more as soon as they come back in stock.

By the way, you may want to purchase the screw/spacer kit. Due to the bump in the kydex sheath, I had to use 2 different length screw/spacers to fit the slim3.3 on some of the sheaths:

IMG_20200527_124645.jpg

I hope you like them! I personally love mine. My local shop that carries them is out of the Slim 3.3 but I'll be buying more as soon as they come back in stock.

By the way, you may want to purchase the screw/spacer kit. Due to the bump in the kydex sheath, I had to use 2 different length screw/spacers to fit the slim3.3 on some of the sheaths:

View attachment 1348192
I got the hardware kit and a few other attachments from them as well to fool around with. Thanks for the insight!

View attachment 1348192

Just wondering if you (or anyone reading this) know which CPK stock sheaths will these clips fit? Or what the measurements on the sheaths for these 3 knives are? EDC2 ... FK2 ... DEK1 ?

I am not home to measure any of them currently. But was looking for clips for the EDC2 and FK2 ... maybe to try on the DEK1 when it gets here.

If anyone knows I appreciate the info ... if not I'll hold off until I get home Friday or Saturday.

Thanks,

JJ

Just wondering if you (or anyone reading this) know which CPK stock sheaths will these clips fit? Or what the measurements on the sheaths for these 3 knives are? EDC2 ... FK2 ... DEK1 ?

I am not home to measure any of them currently. But was looking for clips for the EDC2 and FK2 ... maybe to try on the DEK1 when it gets here.

If anyone knows I appreciate the info ... if not I'll hold off until I get home Friday or Saturday.

Thanks,

JJ

Not sure about the DEK1 or EDC but here's the HDFK and FK2 with Ulticlip slim3.3 installed. The fit on the UF is similar to the HDFK (widely spaced screws). The FK2 will allow you to adjust the position. If anything, you can just use 1 screw as that will allow you to play with the position but I would loktite it.

IMG_20200423_114441.jpg

Buying a six pack of Beck beer on sale and then finding out once cracked one open to supposedly enjoy, that it's non-alcoholic just SUCKS. Bargain hunting with poor eyesights while not wearing glasses SUCKS EVEN MORE!

:mad:
I only need glasses for reading so I took a pair of thin optics and used double sided tape to affix them to my cell phone case. Adds hardly any bulk but now I can read labels without having to take a picture and then zoom the image.

oh come on man, I'm serious. I don't have a Duramax, I have a powerstroke. Have you ever tried to keep a powerstroke on the road? I need some help here bro
Hey my duramax toasted a computer without even moving ????
Lol !! 7.3 or 6.0 or ?
I don’t mix any oils lol. But I do truly believe in Amsoil. I run it in everything ! If need to run dyno oils then shell rotella.
I use to wrench on powerstrokes a lot when we had horses.

Hey my duramax toasted a computer without even moving ????
Lol !! 7.3 or 6.0 or ?
I don’t mix any oils lol. But I do truly believe in Amsoil. I run it in everything ! If need to run dyno oils then shell rotella.
I use to wrench on powerstrokes a lot when we had horses.

7.3 liter.

8,400 lb F-450 pushed by 235 horsepower of furious turbo diesel. 0 to 60 and under 30 seconds. Unless it's cold out.

oh come on man, I'm serious. I don't have a Duramax, I have a powerstroke. Have you ever tried to keep a powerstroke on the road? I need some help here bro
And here I thought the post was humor.

If it actually isn't:
A) For something that's spec'ed for 10w40, running either 5w40 or 15w40 is fine. If the first number is lower, that's sort of OK (***details below).

The first number is the cold viscosity. In theory, the lower the cold viscosity, the better, as the oil flows better on cold startup.

The 2nd number at the end is the hot viscosity, or the viscosity at typical running temperatures. That's the number that's important, as a lower hot viscosity may be too thin to maintain the oil film necessary for protection under load.

As far as the cold viscosity goes, in theory, the lower the better, but with caveats. Depending on the particular multigrade oil and formulation, some oils require more VIIs (Viscosity Index Improvers) to achieve the viscosity spread.

The viscosity spread used to be gauged by dividing the hot viscosity by the cold viscosity, eg. a 10w30 has a 3x spread. A 10w40 has a 4x spread, a 5w40 has an 8x spread (I say 'used to be gauged' because now we have 0w30 oils etc. and dividing by zero would give math teachers an aneurysm).

Anyway, to attain the viscosity spread, some oils need VIIs, which are basically long-chain polymers. Multigrade oils start out with their base viscosity (i.e. if you want to formulate a 10w30 oil, you start with a base oil that has a cold viscosity in the cSt (centiStoke) range for a 10 cold weight oil, then add VIIs as necessary to limit how much the oil thins when hot.

When cold, these long-chain polymers stay tightly coiled, allowing for the lower cold viscosity. When hot, the long-chain coils would only uncoil so far, limiting how much the viscosity thins out when hot.

Some engines stress the oils a lot more than others, and can result in a phenomenon known as viscosity shear. The long-chain polymers physically shear, and no longer limit how much the hot viscosity decreases. Viscosity shear can result mechanically (turbocharged engines pushed hard, towing very heavy loads, engine run extremely hot), or chemically as the oil degrades.

5w40 is a wide spread, so if the engine will be pushed hard, you'd want to make sure it's a good oil, or only use it for colder weather and lighter loads.

Conversely, I wouldn't worry about running 15w40 in the South Carolina summer. It's not cold enough for the cold viscosity difference to make a big difference and the smaller viscosity spread will maintain viscosity better if the engine is pushed hard. Just change it before the weather gets too cold.

For diesels, Rotella and Delo are both great oils.

Back