Random Thought Thread

Your Q started my nerding out! There was once an anomaly which was a Nathan made knife with a 5 inch blade which was kinda UF looking without the swedge. Otherwise all 6" UFs come with a swedge grind.

7.jpg~original

10.jpg~original

Ohhhhh man, want!

That’s surprising to me, I have Nyala from CRK that I use to field dress white tail deer and have left it in the bed of the truck completely covered in blood and goo, wrapped in bloody rubber gloves for at least a day, not a bit of staining or rust. I do have a large Sebenza 21 that did take a very faint stain, like I touched it with the tip of a pencil, from the same treatment- still pretty impressive to me.
To me S30V and S35VN are great steels for outdoor use and I’m sure they’d be even better with a slightly harder heat treat. Surprising that it did that from a name like Hinderer, but, nobody is perfect and there’s a reason I won’t touch S35 from CRK for the first 3 years that they used it.
On a side note, that HDFK that you sold me is absolutely awesome! Thanks for selling me my first CPK at a more than fair price!

Hehe, happy to spread the 'sickness' :D. You're very welcome! The HDFK is an amazing knife!

Yeah, that experience with that FXM was a bummer, I really like the idea of S35VN. I have a 3" XM18 in S35VN, but I've never used it because of that.. Maybe I'll give it another chance, from another maker; going to do some research on who's good at heat treating it properly.

Cheers!
C.

That was a 36-inch hollow grind. I should do more of those sometime.

Back in the day, there was some discussion about the lineage of that knife. Some peep were thinking of it as a shorter UF. I had said that it was closer to a Skinner on steroids! Did we ever settle on anything? Utility Skinner or a Skinny Fighter?

Back