Random Thought Thread

Four and for are homophones. Different words with different meanings and different spellings that are pronounced the same. Because English is stupid.

But. Four times 10 is "forty". That's stupid. It should be spelled fourty. "Forty" should be an adverb that is something that is particularly for something. Like "wow, that so much for something it's forty something". "Fourty" should be a number. For example, "compact disk players are forty fourty year olds."

...nevermind...

Four and for are homophones. Different words with different meanings and different spellings that are pronounced the same. Because English is stupid.

But. Four times 10 is "forty". That's stupid. It should be spelled fourty. "Forty" should be an adverb that is something that is particularly for something. Like "wow, that so much for something it's forty something". "Fourty" should be a number. For example, "compact disk players are forty fourty year olds."

...nevermind...

If you think English is stupid, just wait till you see how stupid the bastardized American English is, like taking a U out of a word because it’s too hard to have one more letter in there?

I’m curious what my fellow knife enthusiast enjoy when it comes to wine.

Anyone out there recommend a Central Coast or Sonoma county, perhaps even Russian River oaked Chardonnay, bold but balanced sweetness, and more on the softer side. Nothing too far on the acidic.

Anyone out there recommend a Central Coast or Sonoma county, perhaps even Russian River oaked Chardonnay, bold but balanced sweetness, and more on the softer side. Nothing too far on the acidic.

Not sure of exact geography but I enjoy Ramey, Frank Family and Cake Bread Reserve. Those are my go to “nice” bottles, but I’m by no means a connoisseur.

I quit drinking earlier this year, which just means I have a higher budget now for CPKs :D

...nevermind...
You’re so right. In Spanish, for instance, vowels are always pronounced the same. An A is always pronounced A. Not A, O, E... Like the name Sara. In England it is pronounced like it would be in Spanish: SARA. In the US it sounds in Spanish like SERA. I mean, why make it easy if you can make it difficult, right? o_O

Not exactly what you’re arguing but an added quirk of the language.

I always wonder why language is so heavily focused on gender, english, italian, spanish- a foundational aspect of all are 'his and hers' etc. Seems like things could be much more efficient if things were more generic

Oh man, German is even worse...there's like 42 different ways to say "the" depending on the gender of the object (masculine/feminine/neuter), tense(past/present/etc.), and social status of the speaker (higher/lower than the object):confused:

Back