Random Thought Thread

I have always had a hard time getting a watch to fit my wrist, the few I've had I had to have a jeweler add several links to fit and none of them lasted me long. I have thought about trying a watch again now that I'm older and wouldn't destroy one so quickly but I'm not sure after all these years I could stand wearing one. I have two old pocket watches that I carry if I'm out and about and need to keep track of time.

I have always had a hard time getting a watch to fit my wrist, the few I've had I had to have a jeweler add several links to fit and none of them lasted me long. I have thought about trying a watch again now that I'm older and wouldn't destroy one so quickly but I'm not sure after all these years I could stand wearing one. I have two old pocket watches that I carry if I'm out and about and need to keep track of time.

Have you tried a strap instead of a bracelet? Or swapping to a different bracelet design might work too.

Have you tried a strap instead of a bracelet? Or swapping to a different bracelet design might work too.

Straps were a no go couldn't find one to fit back then. My wrists aren't quite as big anymore since I'm getting older and no working out as much. I do think they offer bigger sizes now than they used to. My brother is a watch-aholic I'm sure he could help me find one if I ever decide to try another wrist watch. And I wouldn't be nearly as hard on a watch now.

Straps were a no go couldn't find one to fit back then. My wrists aren't quite as big anymore since I'm getting older and no working out as much. I do think they offer bigger sizes now than they used to. My brother is a watch-aholic I'm sure he could help me find one if I ever decide to try another wrist watch. And I wouldn't be nearly as hard on a watch now.

The nice thing with straps is many will eventually mold to your wrist. That said, I ordered an elasticized strap for my Garmin gps watch (https://nickmankeydesigns.com/). The stock rubber one is okay but I wanted something with more stretch.

I had a Tudor watch with the Snowflake hands but sold it to buy more knives. Priorities. I figured automatics arent nearly as accurate as a good quartz so I bought a Longines Conquest VHP . Its a high accuracy quartz (+/- 5 seconds per year) and has gear position detection which the watch stops running if shocked or in a magnetic field and corrects itself afterwards. Great watch at a fraction of the cost and maintenance of an automatic.
First I'd heard about the shock/magnetic protection. That's pretty darned cool.

For whatever reason, I've never owned a Longines.

Similar reasoning is how I ended up back with the G-Shock. I wanted something waterproof. tough, accurate and that wouldn't need battery replacements. The Rangeman fit all those bills with the Tough Solar, daily Atomic clock syncing, 200M waterproofing etc.

I've also found the other small features to be useful, eg. The Timer and Stopwatch on occasion, and the one feature that has turned out to be pretty helpful is the graphing barometer (there's a button to switch between showing the day of the week, or a barometric graph).

There've been times when I've glanced at the watch and noticed the barometric pressure plummeting over the last 30-60 minutes. Whoops, time to get to shelter.

First I'd heard about the shock/magnetic protection. That's pretty darned cool.

For whatever reason, I've never owned a Longines.

Similar reasoning is how I ended up back with the G-Shock. I wanted something waterproof. tough, accurate and that wouldn't need battery replacements. The Rangeman fit all those bills with the Tough Solar, daily Atomic clock syncing, 200M waterproofing etc.

I've also found the other small features to be useful, eg. The Timer and Stopwatch on occasion, and the one feature that has turned out to be pretty helpful is the graphing barometer (there's a button to switch between showing the day of the week, or a barometric graph).

There've been times when I've glanced at the watch and noticed the barometric pressure plummeting over the last 30-60 minutes. Whoops, time to get to shelter.

I feel like the atomic clock syncing is kind of overlooked. It basically means the humble Casio will always match with every device that syncs to the US atomic clock, which is almost every phone and desktop computer.

I have only ever seen one, a Tissot, that has numerals at the 2, 4, 8 and 10 o'clock positions. Ever since I saw that I have always wanted one. I am not sure why, but it would be my grail watch (if that were a thing). Not the brand, just a watch with numbers only in those positions. Alternatively, I'd look for one with numbers only at 4, 8 and 12.

I feel like the atomic clock syncing is kind of overlooked. It basically means the humble Casio will always match with every device that syncs to the US atomic clock, which is almost every phone and desktop computer.
I used to check my automatic watches against the time.gov site at least once a month (my Omegas used to gain ~6 seconds/month).

When I first got the Rangeman, I initially checked it daily at different times of the day, out of curiosity, then weekly, then monthly. It always sync'ed perfectly to the seconds ticking away in sync.

I haven't been back to the time.gov site in years (since ~6 months after getting the Rangeman), because it's always in perfect sync, to the second.

I can even scroll to a screen that shows the last time it sync'ed (the watch might not be able to receive the sync signal, depending on where you are, and potentially even in certain buildings that may interfere with reception).

I've had times when traveling, where it couldn't receive the sync signal. Even without the sync signal for a month though, most digital watches won't see even a full second variance.

I really like the minimal maintenance aspect of never worrying about whether it's running fast or slow, trying to remember when it last had a battery change, adjusting the calendar every month etc. The only times I ever need to doublecheck/change something is for DST twice a year.

I used to have a bunch of expensive watches but my OCD prevented me from really enjoying them because they would inherently get dented or scratched and that would damage the resale value which I always kept in mind because I never found anything I was in so much love with I knew I’d keep it.

Imagine the look on my face when my Ex dropped one off my desk onto the floor. Of course I took it off when typing to prevent scratches.

Style was moving bigger and bigger at the time and my 175lbs at the time didn’t warrant a wrist anchor.

Ended up selling my last about half a dozen Breitlings when my son was born and intended to find one keeper, but due to previous life experience I almost always know pretty accurately what time it is, and if I don’t know exactly my cell phone will tell me.

These days I keep up with this collection thinking one day something may speak to me:

View attachment 1477892

I just realized my 2020 is still stuck in the US. Ugh. Can’t miss one.
You and I have a similar issue lol. So if I buy a knife , I have to buy two. No joke, I have to know I have one all mint condition or I can’t do anything with the other. It gets crazy cause I’m even that bad with car wax !!!! I won’t use a can unless I have a spare !!! Lol

I used to check my automatic watches against the time.gov site at least once a month (my Omegas used to gain ~6 seconds/month).

When I first got the Rangeman, I initially checked it daily at different times of the day, out of curiosity, then weekly, then monthly. It always sync'ed perfectly to the seconds ticking away in sync.

I haven't been back to the time.gov site in years (since ~6 months after getting the Rangeman), because it's always in perfect sync, to the second.

I can even scroll to a screen that shows the last time it sync'ed (the watch might not be able to receive the sync signal, depending on where you are, and potentially even in certain buildings that may interfere with reception).

I've had times when traveling, where it couldn't receive the sync signal. Even without the sync signal for a month though, most digital watches won't see even a full second variance.

I really like the minimal maintenance aspect of never worrying about whether it's running fast or slow, trying to remember when it last had a battery change, adjusting the calendar every month etc. The only times I ever need to doublecheck/change something is for DST twice a year.

I use time.gov to set/check my time too.

I didn't even think about checking my Fenix 6X against it but I just did and it's off by ~2s. Not horrible but slightly disappointing. You'd think the Garmin would autosync perfectly like your Casio. What else is interesting is the website on mobile will show how much deviation there is between your phone and the atomic clocks. My Pixel 4A is off by -1.199s.

I have a feeling my Garmin is syncing to my phone, which would explain the ~2s discrepancy.

I use time.gov to set/check my time too.

I didn't even think about checking my Fenix 6X against it but I just did and it's off by ~2s. Not horrible but slightly disappointing. You'd think the Garmin would autosync perfectly like your Casio. What else is interesting is the website on mobile will show how much deviation there is between your phone and the atomic clocks. My Pixel 4A is off by -1.199s.

I have a feeling my Garmin is syncing to my phone, which would explain the ~2s discrepancy.
Wow. The updated site is pretty neat. Says my phone's clock is -0.541 seconds.

I use time.is and usually reference once a month or so to remain accurate for work; by rule, my time piece must be within 30 seconds of real time. It's not as important as it once was, but 2 decades ago accurate time pieces were mandatory on the railroad.

My work watch went from moderately priced G Shocks to the humble Casio W800-H with countdown timer mod.

My ulnar head is huge. My watch would need to be tight as to not slide down and hit the ulnar head. If I leave it below then it needs to be a little loose to not restrict the hands range of motion so it’s like a bracelet and slops around on the back of my hand.

I figure some of us just don’t have the right anatomy for it.

Back