Random Thought Thread

This is one of the things I've wondered about: how do folks in AK, MN etc. cope with extreme cold?

.... -60f windchill SUCKS. My uncovered face cramped up in under 30 seconds).

How do folks deal with -40f and colder temps?
Screenshot_20210211-092934.jpg

I work outside for several hours in this. Block heaters on vehicles are common for us. Employers typically have plug ins for employees. Battery blankets are another option to help with these temps.

For me to stay warm is easy enough. Base layer needs to wick moisture away to stay dry. Next layer is typically a fine wool like merino, as it will continue to insulate when wet. Next is a thicker thermal like helly hanson or thinsulate. I sometimes put a t shirt over top. Then a fleece. Next a wind breaker. I use a basic rain jacket. Then i have my 7 oz cotton cover-alls. Liner socks under thick wool and finger gloves inside mitts. Toque wrapped in a merino shemagh and covered in the rain jacket hood. -39c for hours, no real issue. I hate going back and forth from heat to cold. I honestly love the cold. Always have. Heat kills me.

P.S don't kiss your carothers knife when it's this cold. It won't stop kissing back!

View attachment 1511410

I work outside for several hours in this. Block heaters on vehicles are common for us. Employers typically have plug ins for employees. Battery blankets are another option to help with these temps.

For me to stay warm is easy enough. Base layer needs to wick moisture away to stay dry. Next layer is typically a fine wool like merino, as it will continue to insulate when wet. Next is a thicker thermal like helly hanson or thinsulate. I sometimes put a t shirt over top. Then a fleece. Next a wind breaker. I use a basic rain jacket. Then i have my 7 oz cotton cover-alls. Liner socks under thick wool and finger gloves inside mitts. Toque wrapped in a merino shemagh and covered in the rain jacket hood. -39c for hours, no real issue. I hate going back and forth from heat to cold. I honestly love the cold. Always have. Heat kills me.

P.S don't kiss your carothers knife when it's this cold. It won't stop kissing back!

F4E403E8-CCB2-4F85-BD36-9F74D420B28A.jpeg

"This is one of the things I've wondered about: how do folks in AK, MN etc. cope with extreme cold?"

My question is WHY? WHY do folks in AK, MN etc. cope with extreme cold? I grew up in Florida and spent my youth shaking my head whenever the evening news would show those folks up there freezing in below-zero temps during winter.

I'm older now . . . but I still don't get it. Life is too short for that. At least for me. Frankly, winter sucks AFAIAC even here in NoVa, and this is NOTHING compared to Minnesota, Montana, Alaska, etc. I'm getting the hell out of here in the next few months for warmer climes. I will leave a lot of nice snow shovels behind for whoever buys my house. DSFDF, I guess.

Different people like different climates. For me, I would much rather work outside at 20 degrees than 80 degrees. And anyone anywhere close to a coast has to understand the nature of cold in continental climates. Winter is our sunny time of year with blue skies, dry air, and unfiltered sun. Even at near 30 below the sun feels warm on your skin. 60 degrees in a foggy coastal climate is miserable compared to 10 below in full sun out of the wind. And you body gets used to it. What feels cold in fall seems downright balmy by winter.

I don’t wish to use the word “thrived” because they are now extinct but for lack of a better substitute, the Neanderthals did exactly that for about 200K years during many ice ages in the continent which we now know as Europe. They had no shelter but caves which certainly were devoid of any central heating, no modern warm clothing made from space-age materials and no Nathan Carothers to improve on their shitty flint stone tools. Oops!
Well, some percentage of the current population does show a small percentage of neanderthal DNA, so some of them bred with homo sapiens, and they aren't technically extinct, just outbred.

People in northern climates watch the news and wonder why people would want to live in high heat deserts, areas that experience frequent wildfires, tornados, hurricanes, etc.

I’ll happily shovel some snow to avoid all that other shit. :)
Can't recall which standup comedian had a bit where he wondered about why people would choose to live in a part of the country nicknamed "Tornader alley".

Different people like different climates. For me, I would much rather work outside at 20 degrees than 80 degrees. And anyone anywhere close to a coast has to understand the nature of cold in continental climates. Winter is our sunny time of year with blue skies, dry air, and unfiltered sun. Even at near 30 below the sun feels warm on your skin. 60 degrees in a foggy coastal climate is miserable compared to 10 below in full sun out of the wind. And you body gets used to it. What feels cold in fall seems downright balmy by winter.
Yeah, I'd have to concur with this.

Shoveled about 10" of snow yesterday in 17f. Put on a light insulated windproof jacket over a t-shirt and was fine. I'm not a fan of 80+f.

As for the very last sentence, that part does crack me up. In the Fall, when it first dips below into the 40s Fahrenheit, just about everyone is wearing a coat. In the middle of February after a week or two in single digits to teens Fahrenheit, if it gets up in the 40s, some people will be walking around in shorts and sandals.

***edited to add***
P.S.
Interesting tip for my fellow snowbelters:

I wanted to try something to see if it would work/help: i.e. I used one of the newer Ceramic/SiO2 auto polishes on the snow shovel to see if it would stop the snow from sticking. It does! :D

There are several brands available. The one I used was Meguiar's CMX. I applied 3 coats to the Toyota around April/May 2019. Aside from washing the car every now and then, I have not reapplied any polish/coating since 2019. I was curious to see how the claims of these types of auto coatings lasting much longer, held up.

It still beads water on the car. I literally applied it to the entire exterior. Paint, plastic, glass, everything. I use Rain-X windshield washer fluid year round, but the coating applied to all the windows and mirrors is still holding up and beadin water. The rain washes bugs and dirt off the car!

I figured if it worked that well on the car, maybe it would stop snow from sticking to the shovel, and it does. I used to spray the shovel blade with a silicone based lube spray before shoveling, but it would usually wear off before I was done (and anyone who's shoveled snow, knows how annoying/tiring it gets when the snow starts sticking to the shovel). Now I'm curious to see how long the non-stick properties on the shovel will last.

Application (on a vehicle or snow shovel) is super easy. Spray on a microfiber applicator, and wipe it on to apply. Let it dry for a few minutes. Buff it off with a microfiber towel. Unlike some older style waxes, the CMX buffs off with very little effort. I think I'm going to polish the shower next.

Last edited:
Just finished the book "The Impossible First" by Connor O'Brady

First guy to cross Antarctica solo, unaided, unassisted (no para sail), on x'country skis manhauling a sled. 53 days straight or something like that.

I was miserable just reading about it, but it is a fantastic tale!

I will never understand the pursuit of something that, if (IF) everything goes perfectly, AND you catch every possible break, it will for sure almost kill you.

Mat, I see two cups, who is the other one for?
#imnotmatjustwondering

Both for me of course! What a question! And both of those muffins too ;)

In reality, I am high maintenance enough so I am absolutely undatable and I have very high "aesthetics" standards (brains? eh, overrated!) . Victoria Secret models or naught else. Did I say that I was very shallow too or had you already figured that part out? :p :D

I wanted to try something to see if it would work/help: i.e. I used one of the newer Ceramic/SiO2 auto polishes on the snow shovel to see if it would stop the snow from sticking. It does! :D

I bought some of that silicone wash made for “waterless” washing and used it on my quad plastics. It’s amazing how much mud and dirt just slides right off while riding now.

it's Colin o'brady guys,his story is not completely true about him traveling solo across antarctica.

Right. Colin.

Interested to hear more. I loved the book. Curious how it may be untrue. Please do tell.

Edit... I just googled the controversy around his exploits. I don't care if he did embellish some of it - he's still nucking futs for doing it!

Last edited:
I think we'll do two versions of the new upcoming SDFK. The idea behind this knife was a full 1/4" thick unbreakable saber ground blade that can cut bolts without taking much damage to distribute on Amazon in order to reach a new demographic of folks who want a good heavy duty knife but aren't knife nuts.

1. The basic version for Amazon distribution that will be in the ~$250 price point. As-milled and tumbled and super basic and stripped of some details that we're known for in order reach that price point but well designed and Delta 3V to introduce the unwashed masses to our brand.

2. The signature series that will be around $350. This is a little less than the HDFK was for a little longer blade, but without fullers. The primary grinds would be thinned a little and get an S grind before tumble and it would get the weight reduction features such as a swedge at the tip and skeletonizing in the tang and be more carefully balanced, though probably not quite as brilliant as the HDFK. It would also get the big chamfers and jimping that have become characteristic for our knives.

...somebody had asked earlier and I said I'd need to think on it. Well, I thought on it...

Back