Random Thought Thread

My grandfather was a machinist. He was no Nathan, but they used to say that he could make anything out of metal. In 1940, he moved his wife and three kids all the way from Oklahoma to Charleston, SC to work as a machinist for the huge Charleston Naval Shipyard there, all for a pay increase of five cents an hour. True story. Also generated a pretty good income making window and door screens for folks as a side hustle. This was before Home Depot. 🤣

We need to get together and tell grandpa stories. 😎

Got the mail today and one came out of the mailbox with the letters and such and landed right in the middle of my chest.

I did not panic, but lightly brushed it aside (stepped on it on the sidewalk).

2 minutes later I got the shakes and almost threw up. F#<'ng yellow jackets!
Quite understandable when every encounter is a potential life or death situation.

Not pumpkin beer but a local favorite. Sorry Nathan 😂

WsRzW6M.jpg

Anyone else exercise or train regularly? Could be strength training, cardio, whatever. Just curious if there's anyone else out there.
I lift weights (squat/bench/deadlift type stuff). I got a screwed up hip flexor before Covid and had to take a couple months off, then Covid hit right as I was starting to lift again and I took another couple months off. I ended up building a home gym and working my way back up (I also added an air bike for cardio).

I've been privileged enough to have most all of the courier companies come up with excuses for non-delivery...real, imagined and fabricated.
Had that issue where the courier would mark a package 'Delivered' but it was nowhere to be found, only to magically show up the next day, or the tracking shows, 'Delivery Attempted, No one home' or some such BS, despite the fact that I was sitting 8 feet from the door the whole day.

Got tired of it and setup security cameras to cover the door, driveway and mailbox/street, so I could confirm/prove that the delivery drivers never even attempted delivery when they claimed they did. After calling the various couriers and explaining that I had video proof, those issues magically disappeared.

Had that issue where the courier would mark a package 'Delivered' but it was nowhere to be found, only to magically show up the next day, or the tracking shows, 'Delivery Attempted, No one home' or some such BS, despite the fact that I was sitting 8 feet from the door the whole day.

Got tired of it and setup security cameras to cover the door, driveway and mailbox/street, so I could confirm/prove that the delivery drivers never even attempted delivery when they claimed they did. After calling the various couriers and explaining that I had video proof, those issues magically disappeared.
In my area, FedEx ground was the biggest culprit. They've since upped their game.

Some of the excuses, from darkness to gates being locked were laughable. While it actually does get dark here (and we don't have street lamps), you'd have to travel far and wide to find a gate of any sort. "Floods" were another favorite.

Oh, I've had the "knocked, no one home" excuse while I've sat panting in anticipation at the door and all the others. The excuses are only limited by the imagination of the driver.

C'est la vie.

(But UPS better not even think of coming up with one tomorrow. LOL.)

Back