Random Thought Thread

Yesterday, I felt like this again (at our gas station)

i-bfp9z2Z-L.jpg

I was home schooled growing up and that gave my folks the freedom to travel all across the country - I think there are only 2 or 3 states that I haven't visited. As a result, I have experienced all sorts of critters, with some of the weirdest bugs experienced in Kentucky.

Anyhow, we kids had a game we played with yellowjackets and other winged stingers - we would slap them down with an open palm and then stomp on them. The kid with the most kills wins. Great sport until I slapped one down and then couldn't find where the flying devil hit the ground. My hand all the of the sudden felt like it was on fire - the damned thing had gotten trapped between my fingers and clung there, jabbing the bejeezus out of my hand.

I didn't quit playing the game but I did so more cautiously going forward.

In late breaking news, the Charlotte Hornets have reported that they are strongly considering dropping their team name as it has proven offensive to certain individuals who find the name both objectionable and distasteful.

973e4b37-529a-45f0-b715-955d8d3e29ac_1.8da941b1d66fc93200e34d15a9cff6df.jpeg

While the team has not yet identified the individuals, our sources indicate that a local family has given the team and its ownership an offer they may not be able to refuse. An unconfirmed rumor gaining traction is that the new name for the team may be the "Mooresville Machinists".

Updates will be provided as more information becomes available.

Osage orange is pretty much my favorite wood now. It is gorgeous and glows in the sun. Tony really is an artist when it comes to bringing out the best in the woods he works with.
I've had two fixed blades and a custom mini ax with Osage Orange. Great stuff indeed.

Two of the three in this image...my little homage to Nessmuk.

NessmukCombo1.jpg

And the third...

Cliff2_001.jpg

I can’t wait for summer to end. If it weren’t for my motorcycle and enjoyment to play golf once in a while, I’d hate it even more.

I’d rather shovel snow than mow the lawn, put clothes on to stay warm than sweat my ass off, and lastly F you mosquitos! Damn they’re bad this year.

I can’t wait for summer to end. If it weren’t for my motorcycle and enjoyment to play golf once in a while, I’d hate it even more.

I’d rather shovel snow than mow the lawn, put clothes on to stay warm than sweat my ass off, and lastly F you mosquitos! Damn they’re bad this year.
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I agree with you... especially about the mosquitoes.

Agreed! Summer can kiss my ass, work is to busy, no time for vacation or to even play golf! 🤬👎

Fall is my favorite season, but yeah, I prefer cold to hot and I hate mosquitoes too.

About a month ago, at least one of those a-holes followed me in as I was entering the front door. Fell asleep on the recliner and had about a dozen bites when I woke up. Time to go medieval on its/their ass.

1) folks may not be aware, but those Thermacell devices made to keep mosquitoes away outside? The active ingredient is from the Pyrethroid class of insecticides. They're rated only for outdoor use, and they work well to keep mosquitoes away, but if you use it in a confined space where the mosquitoes can't keep their distance, it WILL kill them.

I put 2 in the living room in open cookie tins (just in case) with new pads, then went outside for about 4 hours doing yardwork. Killed whatever a-holes followed me in. Then opened the windows to air it out.

This trick also works for camping if they get in the tent. Hotbox the tent using the Thermacell (with no occupants, of course) with all the rain flies closed for 15-30 minutes, then remove the Thermacell and leave it near the entrance while opening the rain flies.

Let the tent air out with just the no-see-um mesh, then get back in and enjoy peaceful sleep without getting eaten alive (the Thermacell near the entrance stops any new ones following you in. Bring it in and shut it off when you enter the tent).

2) I know the mosquitoes hide in the hedge and shrubs near the door, so entering around dawn or dusk is hazardous wrt them following a person inside.

I went and bought a Burgess mosquito fogger and a gallon of Black Flag fogging insecticide. I then added 2 oz of 32% Permethrin to the gallon of fluid to create a residual insecticide fog (the Black Flag fog kills on contact, but what I wanted, was to not only kill them, I wanted the fog to leave insecticide residue on the underside of the leaves of the shrubs and hedges, where the mosquitoes land and hide, so it kills any new ones that show up).

It's been working so far. First day after fogging, I was outside at dusk and had only 1 mosquito land on me (which I promptly squashed). Following week, I fogged all the non-flowering shrubs and plants (don't spray flowering things with a residual. It'll kill bees and butterflies we don't want to kill) within 30 yards of the house. Haven't noticed the a-holes trying to swarm me around the door at dawn/dusk anymore.

P.S.
Cat, fish and amphibian pet owners beware: pyrethrin/pyrethroid insecticides are highly toxic to those animals. Don't use them anywhere near those. For cat owners, the pyrethrin/pyrethroid insecticides are generally safe after they've dried, but cat owners might still choose to avoid using them at all.

Fall is my favorite season, but yeah, I prefer cold to hot and I hate mosquitoes too.

About a month ago, at least one of those a-holes followed me in as I was entering the front door. Fell asleep on the recliner and had about a dozen bites when I woke up. Time to go medieval on its/their ass.

1) folks may not be aware, but those Thermacell devices made to keep mosquitoes away outside? The active ingredient is from the Pyrethroid class of insecticides. They're rated only for outdoor use, and they work well to keep mosquitoes away, but if you use it in a confined space where the mosquitoes can't keep their distance, it WILL kill them.

I put 2 in the living room in open cookie tins (just in case) with new pads, then went outside for about 4 hours doing yardwork. Killed whatever a-holes followed me in. Then opened the windows to air it out.

This trick also works for camping if they get in the tent. Hotbox the tent using the Thermacell (with no occupants, of course) with all the rain flies closed for 15-30 minutes, then remove the Thermacell and leave it near the entrance while opening the rain flies.

Let the tent air out with just the no-see-um mesh, then get back in and enjoy peaceful sleep without getting eaten alive (the Thermacell near the entrance stops any new ones following you in. Bring it in and shut it off when you enter the tent).

2) I know the mosquitoes hide in the hedge and shrubs near the door, so entering around dawn or dusk is hazardous wrt them following a person inside.

I went and bought a Burgess mosquito fogger and a gallon of Black Flag fogging insecticide. I then added 2 oz of 32% Permethrin to the gallon of fluid to create a residual insecticide fog (the Black Flag fog kills on contact, but what I wanted, was to not only kill them, I wanted the fog to leave insecticide residue on the underside of the leaves of the shrubs and hedges, where the mosquitoes land and hide, so it kills any new ones that show up).

It's been working so far. First day after fogging, I was outside at dusk and had only 1 mosquito land on me (which I promptly squashed). Following week, I fogged all the non-flowering shrubs and plants (don't spray flowering things with a residual. It'll kill bees and butterflies we don't want to kill) within 30 yards of the house. Haven't noticed the a-holes trying to swarm me around the door at dawn/dusk anymore.

P.S.
Cat, fish and amphibian pet owners beware: pyrethrin/pyrethroid insecticides are highly toxic to those animals. Don't use them anywhere near those. For cat owners, the pyrethrin/pyrethroid insecticides are generally safe after they've dried, but cat owners might still choose to avoid using them at all.

When camping, we use one of these:

InsectRepell-X2.jpg

except for the occasional bzzzz, works well, mosquitos, horse flies, even for wasps, and food around :)

DutchOvenC-L1001381-X2.jpg

Don't ask about the Christmas lights .... :)

Roland.

Back