Rant about a thread over in the training section...

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI blades have been proven all over the globe. Not just in hundreds, but in God knows how many thousands. Yangdu is carrying on exactly that tradition, and more.

munk

Dave?

Watch out for the concrete abutments in the woods.

be well and safe.

HI blades have been proven all over the globe
Afghanistan, for example. Thanks, Sarge.

Attachments

• Sarge's Afghan kukri and hats.jpg
    Sarge's Afghan kukri and hats.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 148
Nasty said:
Simon's self promotion is obvious...and the troll than jumped to his defense is laughable.

What amazing news...some khukuri are better than others for MA application...wow <yawn>.

The bolster was an attempt to tailor the product for our use...and originally embraced by many here. The cho (or whatever you want to call it since there are different dialects) position is esthetic...as was said, that portion of the blade is not used anyway. Both thickness and tip shape are a matter of model selection.

I agree with Nasty on the above points. As most of you know by now, I am relatively new to khuks and need to learn more - even though I own 2 dozen + HI products acquired since January. So, I would not ask for a ban on Simon from the forums but rather ask him to explain WHY he believes each of the points he made is a weakness in the design - except for the rounded point which is on a few HI models. I did not buy most of the khuks I own for MA purposes - even though some, if not most, of them could be used very effectively for that purpose. If we're going to talk about life and death and killing, then I prefer the one finger MA - but then I guess Brits can't legally own guns.:D I hear there's a movement to take their knives away also. Perhaps if the same bureaucrats over there found out that Simon is selling weapons and not tools, his importing would be stopped in short order.

I have read a few of those types of post ..just take it with a grain of salt...he is a salesman

The world of martial arts is like that everyone ready to tell you why their sytem and their products is better etc... That typically works on people that really don't know a lot, but for those that have been around well they just smile.

I, for one, am happy that Uncle Bill and Rusty were not here to absorb the abuse Sirupate threw around. Y'all were right to say Uncle would not stoop to answering Siru's trash....but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have bothered him. Uncle Bill was all about quality. Quality sells, and quality khukris keep the kamis and their families fed. Knowing this, I am satisfied HI kamis will soldier on, making the best damn knives they can....and I'm having a hell of a good time handing them out to old friends as gifts. The "gee whiz" and big smile on their faces tell me there is instant recognition of the quality in their hands. Weeks later, I enjoy hearing how much my friends are enjoying their new khuks....HI rocks!

Jebadiah_Smith said:
Too Rounded a Point- Only the WWII is that rounded.
The WWII clearly been set up
to look like junk according to the bogus criteria that was presented.
That's the badness.
It was a setup.
& HI was the intended target;
obviously, from the bogus criterea of good vs bad.

My post:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3171412&postcount=24

~
~~~~~~~~~
<> THEY call me
'Dean' :)-fYI-fWiW-iIRC-JMO-M2C-YMMV-TiA-YW-GL-HH-HBd-IBSCUtWS-theWotBGUaDUaDUaD
<> Tips <> Baha'i Prayers Links --A--T--H--D

I am reminded of what an old acquaintance said to me once when we were talking about handloading .44 Rem Mag for a Ruger revolver. He made me up some hardcast 300 gr. SWC loads for pigs, and marked everything he loaded for my Old Model 3-screws with the words "For Ruger Revolvers Only!", and told me (correctly in my opinion) that you could put loads into a Ruger that would "scatter a Colt across the countryside."

Well, I own 3 Tora's, fifty times that in HI products, and 15 NKH blades, and think of this comparison often when matching HI against everything else. The Tora Tin Chirra I bought was a pretty copy of the exact knife offered by NKH, which I also have, with a thin non-brass buttplate twice as thin as anything you have seen on an HI knife, which quickly loosened after just a few chops on a 4X4. The worst beater POS HI abortion I have ever seen that shipped accidentally out of BirGhorka would chop rings around it, and my very first HI blade, a 21" Chitlangi, is more of a "fighting" knife than anything Tora ever made on their best day. As is any Chainpuri, Malla, Junge, or Samsher. Yes, I guess my chitlangi is useless "traditionally" because it has a habaki bolster, but I'll suffer through the crushing disappointment somehow.

Also note that every single HI knife I own has a spine of moderate width, while the Tora blades are very thin, like the last run of Foxes Folly's. The only thick spined knives I have are 3 Shop 1 AK's, and a BirGhorka Gelbu Special. Nothing currently manufactured by HI could be described as overly thick at all. Incidentally, since Tora embraces tradition so much, I am curious as to why none of their knives are offered with carved handles or inlaid swords of shiva, at least that I recall. The carving on the lowliest chandan kumar karda is obviously beyond the skill of their kami's. Finally, offering just 7 or 8 models must make things easier. I just jumped over to my spreadsheet of HI knives and in 2 minutes roughly counted SIXTY-SEVEN separate Himalayan Imports models. That isn't counting at least 8 or 10 out of production knives I don't have. You would have to go to a modern folding knife manufacturer like CRKT to find even close to that many models offered from one company.

I think I know what Uncle Bill would have done. He would have made light of Simon's post, tried to minimize any posts criticizing Simon while skillfully redirecting the conversation, would have forgiven him in his heart, and sent up smoke and a prayer wishing him peace and understanding.

For his sake and the positive impact he had on my life, I will try to follow that example.

But, if it's all the same, while I'm trying to do that to honor Uncle Bill, I think I'll spend the $ I had set aside for a Tora M-43 on one of the junk touristy HI Salyans coming out. At least I won't have to pay $60 shipping on it!

Thanks & regards,

Norm

Negative advertising is a sign of a lack of much good to say about one's own product.

Were Sirupate, kukrilove and Gurkha the same person? Who cares? If they were, he's making himself crazy trying to hide behind three different styles of writing. Since none of them has an email address listed, none of them seems willing to engage in anything but argumentative conversation.

Peace. Himalayan Imports showed the way a long time ago. If they aren't willing or able to walk the same path, they won't arrive at the same destination. And we won't see much more of them.

The less response they get from us, the harder they'll have to work to generate any buzz about their own products.

I did think it was funny that he insisted that studying martial arts using the kukri requires an absolutely traditional model.

Does that mean that someone studying firearms can only use muzzleloaders -- or blunderbusses? :D

Svashtar said:
I think I know what Uncle Bill would have done. He would have made light of Simon's post, tried to minimize any posts criticizing Simon while skillfully redirecting the conversation, would have forgiven him in his heart, and sent up smoke and a prayer wishing him peace and understanding.......
Thanks & regards,

Norm

I'd like to follow that path but right now I'm just ...pissed. :mad:

I think Uncle Bill would just say very little and let the blowhard blow, while he let the products speak for themselves.

Kismet said:
I don't think Bill Martino was much bothered by mosquitoes.
Of course, there's always that reputation scale thingie which allows one to address one's response to a post without contributing to flaming.
Justa thought.
Excellent suggestion, Kis! Unfortunately, the ghost in the machine says I must spread rep around....I find this interesting, as I have never before given negative rep to anyone. It would have been my intention to suggest that Simon find an alternative sheath for his khukri somewhere other than on his belt.

Esav Benyamin said:
Negative advertising is a sign of a lack of much good to say about one's own product.

Were Sirupate, kukrilove and Gurkha the same person? Who cares? If they were, he's making himself crazy trying to hide behind three different styles of writing. Since none of them has an email address listed, none of them seems willing to engage in anything but argumentative conversation.

Peace. Himalayan Imports showed the way a long time ago. If they aren't willing or able to walk the same path, they won't arrive at the same destination. And we won't see much more of them.

The less response they get from us, the harder they'll have to work to generate any buzz about their own products.

Amen.

The less said the better. Don't feed the trolls.

We like HI products. If someone else doesn't, it's ok. It only makes them look bad when they trash the competitors product. As long as they stay out of our house (The Cantina) let them blow.

Steve

I just had a thought while reading svashtar's post.

tradition and history are in the maker, not the materials he uses. Additionally, fellowship and collective intent are things that can not be duplicated, replicated, or subtley put down in off the cuff internet postings.

I, for one, feel for Simon. Even before his posts on the subject at hand I felt that he, despite all his obvious training and knowledge, just didn't get "it". All this latest has done is reaffirm my suspcions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back