Rare Gems

I have a Fall 92 Special Projects catalog...no Kiridashi

Hmm, so much for thinking that catalog would clear things up. Thanks for checking.

There is a catalog archive on the CS site that has PDFs, but there are some early gaps. Starts with 1988 (company started in 81), then jumps to 93/94...complete after that. Beyond that I have a 1984 catalog and the above mentioned 1992 Special Projects catalog.

Among the contributors to this subforum, we actually have a more complete archive than Cold Steel does. There have been a number of catalogs added, but I'd still like to see the gaps filled in on the Cold Steel Web site. I bet Lynn has some good early history materials. Perhaps he'll break them out for the 40th anniversary....

-Steve

While searching for a Cold Steel Kiridashi a few years ago, I came across one or more Japanese websites that produce knives that look almost identical. They are configurable. You can choose the blade steel, sheath material, handle material, and even the color. I'll see if I can find those websites for anyone interested, but in any case, it wouldn't surprise me if a particular configuration of one of those knives is what Cold Steel was selling as their Kiridashi once upon a time.

Discovered a new rare gem that I hadn't seen before. Apparently, back in 2017 Cold Steel supplied a specially engraved Swift I to support Knife Rights.

IMG-7519.jpg

IMG-7521.jpg

I'm not sure how many were made, but I doubt it was a large run.

-Steve

I like to keep an eye on eBay for rare Cold Steel stuff, as I'm sure many of you do also. Earlier in the year, I discovered this little gem. (No, I didn't buy it.)

IMG-8860.jpg

IMG-8863.jpg

IMG-8865.jpg

IMG-8864.jpg

IMG-8861.jpg

The auction for this knife was most informative, revealing that IC Cut in Seki was one of Cold Steel's manufacturers for the Shinobu and Clip Mate folders.

IMG-8857.jpg

I find it interesting that IC Cut made its own version of the knife for sale in Japan. Note from the photos that it does not have a San Mai blade, despite what the write-up says.

IMG-8869.jpg

IMG-8870.jpg

IMG-8873.jpg

IMG-8872.jpg

I say that IC Cut may be only one of Cold Steel's Shinobu/Clip Mate manufacturers because I've discovered that there are multiple versions of those folders, with subtle distinctions differentiating them. Two different examples of the Large Shinobu (as found in the Arizona Custom Knives archives):

IMG-8630.jpg

IMG-8631.jpg

IMG-8637.jpg

IMG-8638.jpg

-Steve

P.S. - K KenHash , I thought that this post might interest you more than most.

Last edited:
I received this amazing mystery-of-a-rare-gem for Christmas this year. It's what I believe to be one of the original Buck-manufactured 13A Tantos, but with most unusual blackened hardware.

IMG-8558.jpg

IMG-8559.jpg

IMG-8560.jpg

IMG-8561.jpg

IMG-8562.jpg

IMG-8563.jpg

IMG-8564.jpg

IMG-8565.jpg

IMG-8566.jpg

I'll post this one in John's Tanto history thread, as well, with a few more details.

-Steve

I received this amazing mystery-of-a-rare-gem for Christmas this year. It's what I believe to be one of the original Buck-manufactured 13A Tantos, but with most unusual blackened hardware.

IMG-8558.jpg

IMG-8559.jpg

IMG-8560.jpg

IMG-8561.jpg

IMG-8562.jpg

IMG-8563.jpg

IMG-8564.jpg

IMG-8565.jpg

IMG-8566.jpg

I'll post this one in John's Tanto history thread, as well, with a few more details.

-Steve

Cool. I have one of those early stamped logo Tantos, but with regular brass fittings. Have only seen a few with dark fittings like that, but thought it was just patina. If not, wonder what the story was?

The blackening on there looks like it is intentional (rather than just patina), at least to my eyes. Either way, digging that knife! I'd also be curious what the story is behind the fittings (as well as how they've been blackened). I'd maybe say that if it is indeed Buck-manufactured, maybe Cold Steel originally wanted it to not look Buck-like.

Cool. I have one of those early stamped logo Tantos, but with regular brass fittings. Have only seen a few with dark fittings like that, but thought it was just patina. If not, wonder what the story was?

The blackening on there looks like it is intentional (rather than just patina), at least to my eyes. Either way, digging that knife! I'd also be curious what the story is behind the fittings (as well as how they've been blackened). I'd maybe say that if it is indeed Buck-manufactured, maybe Cold Steel originally wanted it to not look Buck-like.

The blackening is definitely factory-applied and not patina. I'm not sure what it is, though, as it doesn't appear to be blackened brass but rather some kind of coating over the brass.

It's interesting that you've seen other examples, John. This is the only one I've run across. If others are out there, the blackened handle must have been either an option at some point or else a brief experiment that Cold Steel requested.

What surprised me was that the handle was blackened but the blade was left bright. Blackened blades were already entering the market in the early 1980s. If Cold Steel was shooting for a stealthier Tanto to market to soldiers, I would have expected a completely blacked-out version.

As for the true history, we may never know. But hopefully I'll hear back from Lynn eventually with answers (see my note in the history thread).

-Steve

a couple of knives I bough as a teenager around 1990. Both were used hard and well cared for. The sheaths on both failed at some point. The Hai Hocho has a pocket sheath made from the plastic liner of another sheath. I pocket carried it that way for most of a decade to do normal pocket knife stuff.
The Carbon V SRK is in a replacement sheath after I got it caught in a hammock and broke the original sheath.

F82927FF-B721-48FE-9600-ACD82C1E3D92.jpeg 26AA15AA-2FB6-4925-A799-E930BF7A4BE2.jpeg

a couple of knives I bough as a teenager around 1990. Both were used hard and well cared for. The sheaths on both failed at some point. The Hai Hocho has a pocket sheath made from the plastic liner of another sheath. I pocket carried it that way for most of a decade to do normal pocket knife stuff.

The Carbon V SRK is in a replacement sheath after I got it caught in a hammock and broke the original sheath.

View attachment 1484085 View attachment 1484086

That's definitely an interesting Hai Hocho you have there. It has the Spyderco serrations rather than Cold Steel's pattern and the model name is printed on the obverse (compare it with mine in post #48). I think yours might be a true first generation.

Also, did Cold Steel send you the replacement sheath for your SRK? It's one of the rarer Kydex versions.

-Steve

is it not worth pm ing the "boss" to get admin rights changed for a while? maybe until things work out?

I agree. I worry about the future of this subforum.

Spark Spark : Sorry to bother you, Kevin, but with the sale of Cold Steel to GSM Outdoors and the dissolution of Cold Steel's California office, this excellent and active subforum has been left without a moderator. Is it possible to grant jlauffer moderator privileges here, at least until we see if GSM will dedicate a social media coordinator to pick up the duty? John knows as much about Cold Steel products as any Cold Steel employee, and his even-keeled demeanor will lend itself well to keeping the subforum running smoothly.

-Steve

That's definitely an interesting Hai Hocho you have there. It has the Spyderco serrations rather than Cold Steel's pattern and the model name is printed on the obverse (compare it with mine in post #48). I think yours might be a true first generation.

Also, did Cold Steel send you the replacement sheath for your SRK? It's one of the rarer Kydex versions.

-Steve
I wish I could remember the year I bought the Hai Hocho. I bought the sheath from CS years ago.

I just looked at your Hai Hocho. I never gave any thought to the serrations on mine.

Last edited:
I like to keep an eye on eBay for rare Cold Steel stuff, as I'm sure many of you do also. Earlier in the year, I discovered this little gem. (No, I didn't buy it.)
I find it interesting that IC Cut made its own version of the knife for sale in Japan. Note from the photos that it does not have a San Mai blade, despite what the write-up says.
P.S. - K KenHash , I thought that this post might interest you more than most.

Thanks. Yes this is very interesting. I know that G.Sakai made the folders for CS before the move to Taiwan. But didn't know IC Cut (Ishikawa Cutlery) also made some. IC Cut also offered the Scorpion Series with a black blade as well. The "Silver Moose" mark was used on several folders and fixed blades as well.
7FBXqF.jpg

Last edited:
TBQF I'm not sure what the future of this subforum will be. We don't do "unofficial" or "fan" forums for manufacturers, not for any real reason except to ensure manufacturer representation & official presence; we don't want people thinking this is a communications venue for a company when it isn't.

Maybe it's time to revisit that.

Regardless it's a topic for the tech support forum

TBQF I'm not sure what the future of this subforum will be. We don't do "unofficial" or "fan" forums for manufacturers, not for any real reason except to ensure manufacturer representation & official presence; we don't want people thinking this is a communications venue for a company when it isn't.

Maybe it's time to revisit that.

Regardless it's a topic for the tech support forum

I would like to see fan based forums allowed on BF . Not just for Cold Steel .

In some ways , the " communications venue " just encourages excessive abuse as a customer service hotline and /or repetitive whining over pet peeves .

Thanks. Yes this is very interesting. I know that G.Sakai made the folders for CS before the move to Taiwan. But didn't know IC Cut (Ishikawa Cutlery) also made some. IC Cut also offered the Scorpion Series with a black blade as well. The "Silver Moose" mark was used on several folders and fixed blades as well.
7FBXqF.jpg

Very nice! But now you have me questioning my assessment of that eBay Silver Moose. The black-bladed model in your photos certainly appears to have a san mai blade. It makes me wonder if IC Cut was responsible for introducing Lynn to the possibility of production san mai cutlery steel.

-Steve

Back