Rarest Spydercos?

Bobby Branton

Sal,
What are the top ten rarest or hard to find Spydercos?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Bobby Branton

Bobby - There were many designs that never went past prototype. They would be very rare. I'm assuming you mean production pieces.

Most models were produced in 1200 piece batches. Those that went only one batch would be considered rare. Models like the stubby "Spur". Stopped production because of cash flow problems at the time.

There were a number of models that fewer than 500 were prouduced. These would be even more rare. The Carbon Fiber Dragonfly, ladybug and Cricket only went 500 pieces. (The ones offered to BF last month). the damascus Tim Zowada worker. Titanium handled Police. Tuffram CoPilot. There are quite a few. I guess part of my problem is making too many models. Perhaps Danelle might be able to compile a list for you?
sal

Could we get specific numbers on the titanium-handled Police production runs? I have gotten a vague answer from calling Spyderco a few years ago, heard different things on this board, don't know what to believe. Could you state definitively how many fully serrated and how many partially serrated were made?

Is it blasphemy that I carry mine and let it get all pocket-worn? ;-)

------------------

-Corduroy
(Why else would a bear want a pocket?)

Corduroy - Some of the history is confusing. Small companies are usually scrambling too much to take notes. I imagine that Susan could go through records and come up with numbers for all models. Maybe someday.

It is my belief that we made 500 titanium handled Police Models, fully serrated as an exclusive for a mail order company - Cutlery Shoppe. We later made 600 pieces, 50/50 to try to revive the model.

As far as using it, I would. When you are done using it, clean it up and retire it. It is my understanding that some of these oddball models have collector value.
sal

Thanks, Mr. Glesser. I can certainly relate (on a MUCH smaller scale) with how making the knives is work enough, and keeping record of them is secondary.

Maybe I'll retire my Police in favor of a G-10 one soon. It's a great knife, though, and always a joy to carry.

------------------

-Corduroy

Sal
I was thinking along the lines of Pieces like the PIG ,Aluminum handle Police ,
as well as titaniaum Police ,Police with no markings. I am trying to compile a list of all knives made by Spyderco and can rank them according to how rare and number of production. Thanks for your time.

Bobby

------------------

Bobby - You'll have to beg Danelle to beg Susan and Renee. It would be a great list, but time consuming to create. Maybe little by little?
sal

It would be something I could look in to, as time allows. I volunteer for too much, and get bogged down! I will look in to it as soon as I can.
Danelle

Thanks Danelle,
I am not in a big hurry. I appreciate any help that you can give. I will send you my list and maybe you can fill in the gaps as you find more info. I am also the proud owner of a left handed P.I G. for a great price.

Bobby

The Carbon Fiber Dragonfly, ladybug and Cricket only went 500 pieces. (The ones offered to BF last month).

"Oh sh*t!".

[This message has been edited by Titan (edited 19 May 1999).]

Yeah, I'm kicking myself too, Titan...I was looking hard at that Dragonfly, that info might have put me over the edge.

------------------

-Corduroy

I'm so glad you hooked the P.I.G, Knifeslinger! I was out late Saturday night, and looked at my watch at one point, and realized that at that time you would have known if you'd have gotten it or not...
Let me know what kind of shape it's in.
Danelle

Sal or Danelle, can you offer any info on the Tim Zowada damascus folder?

Damascus Spyderco? Intriguing concept!

Ron
Is that thing shar...OW!

Ever see the Damascus worker in an "Evolution" presentation set? Pretty cool. Provenator clip, too. The owner of the one I saw had specifically requested (and gotten) number 666 of 1000 - what a nut!

Sorry - just realized this was the knife Mr. Glesser was talking about! I was thinking he meant the new Zowada design. Dumb ol' bear...

------------------

-Corduroy

[This message has been edited by Corduroy (edited 17 May 1999).]

I've got a picture (no scanner) of a Spyderco lockback with a thumb stud instead of the hole. The blade looks a bit like those of some SOG folders (Tomcat, Stingray) but has this sharp-looking, "extra hump". The blade looks slightly shorter than the Endura blade. Does anyone know what is this knife called?

Greetings Jani. Lockback, thumbstud, SOG? Not sure what you mean by "extra hump" but if it sports a 3" plain edge blade with kraton scales and stainless bolsters it may very well be the INTREPID GS105 imported from G Sakai, Japan. Sal, Danelle: do I get a trivia award?

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."

Nakano - I'mm impressed. That was my first thought.

Jani - Is there a company name stamped on the blade tang?
sal

Well, there is no bolster on that knife. By "extra hump" I mean a blade shape similar to that of the SOG Stingray or Tomcat. Those kinda have "two swedges" and on the Spydie, the top of the latter (if the first is near the tip) "swedge" makes a pointy "hump". It looks a bit like the hump on the REKAT Escalator, but it's smaller and pointier. I hope this makes any sense, I´m in school now and I´m tired and my back hurts, so please forgive me the cryptic language.

Sal, I don´t think I saw anything on the blade tang, but I´ll look again when I get home. I might get it scanned here in school, but can´t say it for sure yet.

If this knife has a thumb stud and no tang stamp, why do we think that it's a Spyderco?

------------------

-Corduroy

As a correction to my previous post, there is no "second swedge" (I must have been really tired), but there is some kind of a tang stamp, but I can´t see what it says, it´s quite a small picture. The reason I´m assuming this is a Spyderco, is that the knife is in a brochure with other Spyderco knives in the same picture. There are no other knives in the brochure. I hope I can get it scanned eventually...

Back