RC5 SERE model

any pictures on the RC-5 SERE ..sounds interesting ...1/4" Blade........will it be available to the General public ?

Yes, the RC-5 SERE will be available to the public. No pictures yet.

It will be our first entry into the 1/4" thick market.

I think it will do well,all the positive feedback from all the folks asking for a 1/4" blade and now one is in the works ,should do well... will it be 1095 or something else ?

1095...of course ;)

The SERE guys Spec'd this one out. It will have the same handle as the RC-6 but the rest is their design. It looks just like a regular RC product to me, except for the thickness, lack of full flat grind, and lack of large choil.

It truly is a scary thought that RAT is actually going to produce something that's not flat ground all the way to the spine, eh? ;)

it will make for an interesting blade from RAT Cutlery....I can not wait to see some picture of the RC5..

It wont be a full flat grind??? What do you guys have in mind for this? How high will you be taking up the grind? Sorry if I missed this already but I looked around and did not find anything. I like full flat grinds on my thick blades, but I know you guys will make sure it performs, so I am not worried.

This blade is being Spec'd by military SERE instructors and they requested that the grind not go all the way to the spine.

NO FULLY FLAT GRIND BLADE??????????

Geez, that is a major change. Whats the resoning behind that from the SERE people? Strength for prying? Strength in general?

It will be a flat grind, it just won't go all the way to the spine. Strength purposes.

I guess you may not know yet, but any idea how high the grind will go up? Do you think the grind will start close to the spine or more likely half way down or so?

The grind will stop somewhere at the half way point

at 1/4" thick, I can't imagine anyone breaking it with human strength, so I wouldn't think the grind (half or full) would matter.

The SERE guys told us they were having a lot of problems with knives breaking, especially towards the tip and they wanted to beef it up a bit. To put it in their words, "there's nothing worse than your knife breaking in front of your students." We explained to them that they would lose some efficiency but that didn't seem to bother them.

The SERE guys told us they were having a lot of problems with knives breaking, especially towards the tip and they wanted to beef it up a bit. To put it in their words, "there's nothing worse than your knife breaking in front of your students." We explained to them that they would lose some efficiency but that didn't seem to bother them.

Sounds like they need a sharpened crowbar. It will be interesting to see what y'all come up with. They must do a lot of prying to be breaking the tips. No wonder they wanted a 1/4" thick blade.

Better scandi grind that sucker then.

It would be better to have just one primary bevel on each side meeting at a zero degree edge than to have a relatively thin secondary bevel one has to guess at to sharpen in the correct geometry. Scandi grinds also feature relatively sharp, pointy, and durable tips too.

At least prototype a few ground that way and you'll see the light on the ease of locking in just a primary bevel during field sharpening as well as the better cutting ability and better edge retention one gets over a small secondary bevel.

Back