RC5 SERE model

The only problem with scandi grinds is to sharpen them properly you have to sharpen the whole way up the grind. We'll see what the SERE guys want and go that way.

Jeff

Actually, that's one thing that makes them easy to sharpen because it's easy to keep the edge geometry.
Yes, you have to remove more metal, but with a 1095 blade that won't be a problem. In fact it would probably still be easier than sharpening a secondary bevel on an S30V blade in the field.

I will agree with that but that's going to be a large portion of un-coated carbon steel if we do such a grind.

I'd still be interested in a scandi grind, although it might be pretty obtuse of an angle with a 1/4" spine.

I will agree with that but that's going to be a large portion of un-coated carbon steel if we do such a grind.

Only a problem if you don't take care of it.
I've never had any of my puukkos rust, they're all carbon steel and I live 12 miles from the Atlantic ocean.

IMO, the optimal grind on a knife like this would be a full flat grind that starts from the spine. 1/4" is plenty thick for a hard use blade with this grind. But these guys want something even tougher that will take on some serious prying and abuse. I am sure that you guys are going to make sure that it is still very functional with the grind starting halfway down the blade. That being said, cant wait to see a pic of the final product. I know it will be one hell of a knife.

Again, guys, this knife is being produced by specs from the SERE guys. Personally, I would rather have full flat grind but they know what they want and that's what we'll do. Not trying to be a jackass about this but it's just the way it is since it's a knife spec'd by others. We were going to add a pry bar to the pommel and I even drew it up in Autocad and sent them copies. They rejected the idea, saying that even though it would make a for a good tool, it would catch on things and they couldn't have that. Instead they want a pointy pommel like the RC-3.

Sounds interesting. The Scrapyard Dumpster Mutt is the first thing that comes to mind when you mention mid sized 1/2 height flat grind and 1/4(+) thick. Should be a tough S.O.B.!!

Maybe a prybar pommel on something else down the road? That sounds interesting as well...

Again, guys, this knife is being produced by specs from the SERE guys. Personally, I would rather have full flat grind but they know what they want and that's what we'll do. Not trying to be a jackass about this but it's just the way it is since it's a knife spec'd by others. We were going to add a pry bar to the pommel and I even drew it up in Autocad and sent them copies. They rejected the idea, saying that even though it would make a for a good tool, it would catch on things and they couldn't have that. Instead they want a pointy pommel like the RC-3.

Just wanted to clarify my post. I hope it didnt come off in a way that made you think I was trying to give imput so you would change the design. I definately understand that everything on this blade is based on the specs given to you from the SERE guys. I was just rattling off some ideas as I read through the posts. Look foward to the final design.

Bax Axe: Everything's good :) We truly appreciate all the feedback since it gives us an idea of what a customer may want on future projects.

We did a pry bar pommel a couple of years ago for some EOD guys. They took the protos to Iraq and used them and they worked but the pry hook no matter how we made it kept getting in the way of how the knife was used and carried 90 % of the time. SO we shelved it.

We did a pry bar pommel a couple of years ago for some EOD guys. They took the protos to Iraq and used them and they worked but the pry hook no matter how we made it kept getting in the way of how the knife was used and carried 90 % of the time. SO we shelved it.

I see. Sounds interesting, none the less! For some reason the "Rat Tool" just popped in my head... any chances of that happening down the road?

Back