Re-quenching Mexican Collins Axe?

I hope for the forum's sake you produce something soon. You've talked a lot, gotten your fragile feelings hurt over less than nothing but have yet to just do the simple thing you're just sure is the thing to do.

No one said you should post a thread, those are your words, just like no one told you to use ebay to find an axe. You seem to desperately need us to think you are a solid internet researcher but you have repeatedly demonstrated that you can barely comprehend what is written in a forum thread and do it without inserting your own logical fallacy. Your entire ebay tirade is the result of it. So starting a new thread about heat treating an axe is an assumption made by you.

There is nothing to admit. No one here is arguing your ability to find an axe. You've made it abundantly clear that you are incapable and I know I certainly believe you.

What you have failed hardest to prove though at this point, is that you can do anything other than whine. Produce the finished Collins and we'll discuss an admission. Next I need you to prove that you aren't a Millennial. I mean your written communication skills are poor, but not quite text message poor. I'm on the fence, but you don't seem to understand what the word "literally" means when it's used correctly and Millennials misuse it so often that it's got me thinking you might be one of them. Just to be clear though, either way, when you thought someone misunderstood you or was rude to you ... no, that's just you.

I never needed to search all of eBay, I know that I personally have 8-10 $15 and under heads for sale right now. They come and they go.

I never needed to search all of eBay, I know that I personally have 8-10 $15 and under heads for sale right now. They come and they go.

The original poster may not be aware that you buy hundreds of axes per year at the prices you quote and then sell them on ebay for the prices you quote. He may not have recognized your earlier offer to hook him up with such an axe. 'Tis a pity for both of you. It's funny how the internet can lead to such dramatic miscommunications.

In an effort to 'square' things up on this forum, if the original poster were to contact me by message here on Bladeforums I would happily send him a good quality vintage axe head for free if he would pay shipping, likely less than $10 within the continental U.S. I may even be coerced into hand filing a nice edge onto said axe.

Sure I'm late to the party for commenting on the original post but I too have purchased one of those new Mexican Collins double bits. I bought it to get some practice sharpening things up and playing around with thinning down the handle. Of the things I noticed, the bits are all over the place hardness wise. One part will skate my file, the other part allows my file to dig in like nobody's business. I had assumed it was bad heat treating, though it never occurred to me try and re-heat treat it, and I don't think I will.

No matter, as it turns out I have no use for a double bit axe no matter how cool they are. So I guess this one will get hung on the pegs in the garage and left to rust.

The original poster may not be aware that you buy hundreds of axes per year at the prices you quote and then sell them on ebay for the prices you quote. He may not have recognized your earlier offer to hook him up with such an axe. 'Tis a pity for both of you. It's funny how the internet can lead to such dramatic miscommunications.

In an effort to 'square' things up on this forum, if the original poster were to contact me by message here on Bladeforums I would happily send him a good quality vintage axe head for free if he would pay shipping, likely less than $10 within the continental U.S. I may even be coerced into hand filing a nice edge onto said axe.

Could be, except for the fact that he was told, and continued to say in an insulting manner that we were all not submitting to his truth by trying to let him know. Either way, I started out trying to help. If he is closed to it, it's a wasted effort. But I could be wrong. :D

Last edited:
Personally I'd love to see someone with access to professional-grade heat treating equipment do a test of various hardware store axes and try re-treating them to see if it can be done effectively. It'll answer whether or not the steel itself is garbage or if it's the heat treatment that's garbage. I wouldn't be surprised if many of them are medium-carbon steel that's quenched and not tempered.

Not fully reheat treating the axe but if my axe edge curls during limb work at 22-23* then I'll mark it for a cryo- treatment when it's due
for a handle. It's simple how I do this: most axes have never had this step as they normally do a water quench or oil quench, call it good
and move on. They are trying to make as many as they can in one day. Whereas this is more common with knives. This treatment picks
up the hardness one point and does things to the metal which helps it hold the edge when cutting oak limbs. DM

I unwatched this thread some time ago, and I am not reading the nonsense issuing from people who can't admit error. They destroyed the thread, so they can enjoy it without me. Thanks to all who provided useful input.

Bummers, I was looking forward to seeing how the re-tempering experiment went.

Am shocked the OP didn't have any luck finding good deals on old Axe heads. I just looked on the bay and found plenty for good prices.

If he was looking for modern USA made axes, he could check out Council Tool, Snow & Nealley, or Estwing.

Back