Re-thinking the BK2

And i honestly think the bk2 would make
a fine neck knife for freedivers ;-)

Ah, so the classic sharpened brick category of knives are actually multi-tools if you consider they could also be used as sharpened anchors?

I believe the reason I did not like the BK2 the first time is because i missed the point of what it is and tried to make it something its not.

I am going to get another and use it as it was ment to be, a big chunk of steel with a sharp edge.

I believe the reason I did not like the BK2 the first time is because i missed the point of what it is and tried to make it something its not.

I am going to get another and use it as it was meant to be, a big chunk of steel with a sharp edge.
Good luck with this.

I am going to get another and use it as it was ment to be, a big chunk of steel with a sharp edge.

Okay, I'll bite. What would the intended use case for a 5" blade that 1/4" thick and weighs 1lb? 5" is too short for a chopper, and it's too heavy and thick for processing game, cooking or utility use. Short of some silly "Cold Steel Proof Video" type stuff (e.g. stabbing through a car hood or whatever) I'm not sure a blade with those specs makes a whole lot of sense.

Okay, I'll bite. What would the intended use case for a 5" blade that 1/4" thick and weighs 1lb? 5" is too short for a chopper, and it's too heavy and thick for processing game, cooking or utility use. Short of some silly "Cold Steel Proof Video" type stuff (e.g. stabbing through a car hood or whatever) I'm not sure a blade with those specs makes a whole lot of sense.

I feel I failed with this knife because i tried to compair it to the Bk9 and it's not a BK9 but it is its own knife. Instead of making it a survival knife i am going to try it as an excape and evasion knife. Maybe we have failed to realize it's nature because we are trying to make it It's brother the BK9.

I'm just trying to figure out how i am going to keep it hidden until I need to escape.

Where are you escaping to or from? Evasion? Fantasy stuff for the most part. But I am reading a book called Ice Fall which is a bit of a different twist on the end of the world story line. So far it has been a fun read and about 30% through the book. The BK-2 or better yet, the BK-7 might come in handy in this scenario.

This is a hobby. Just have fun!

It's a very context-specific tool that's been hyped and advertised as a broad-context tool. If viewed as the latter, if falls flat on its face. In very specific circumstances, it fits the bill great. But people popularized using it outside those limited contexts and so it got all hyped up as something it's really not.

This is a hobby. Just have fun!

True, that--my ridiculous Busse TGLB serves no purpose beyond making me happy because I wanted it. :)

I was only asking about the intended use case because it sounded like maybe J JamesofArc thought he hadn't been using it how it should be used, and that's why he hadn't liked it the first time around.

Happy is good. I'll buy that. I have to admit when I bought my BK-2 it sort of made me happy.... I think my pupils dialated the first time I looked at one. ;) This thread makes me want to go back and fondle it along with the BK-7 that doesn't see much use at all. Fun though, I guess.

We are all probably over-analyzing this whole thing. He just wants one. I still think the BK-10 would serve you better overall.

Added: When I first got the BK-2 (my first Becker), I showed my brother-in-law the knife and he immediately gripped it for stabbing. Kind of scared me to be honest about it. He's a Special Forces guy and I know he knows how to use it.

Last edited:
The BK2 is a version of the original Blackjack Campanion, 1/4 inch thick 1095, epoxy coated. I keep my original Campanion in the emergency kit. Practically indestructible, holds a great edge, and you can cut apart a Buick with it.

I don’t usually carry knives like this but I’ve used them and they can do a lot of things. I’ve pried fatwood off a stump, made shingles, split wood, cut wood to length cross grain etc. This type of knife should really be seen more as a pseudo hatchet than a knife. Not as good as a hatchet at some things and better at others. Does a person NEED one? Nah, but they ARE useful if you have the desire to lug it around.(hatchets aren’t really necessary either though)

Now we have the BK2. I have NEVER understood this guy. I have a scrapyard 711 with a thinned edge by Scott Gossman. It’s fantastic but it’s also longer, better balanced for chopping and it’s LIGHTER than the BK2.

It’s the weight that kills it for me on the BK2. It’s just a really weird size and most who’ve used AND carried one tend to be on the meh side. IME the people who love this guy are fanboys and people who car camp.

Custom and a lot of factory knives are going to perform better and so will a MUCH cheaper and lighter machete. I don’t see any reason to buy this unless you love 5 inch blades and just want something heavy to hold while you watch venture bros. :D

Sounds like you want to buy it though so, let us know if you’ve changed your mind on it once you’ve used it. :)

Last edited:
I have never owned a BK2. In my experience, If you dont like a product the first time you almost always still not like it if you buy another. I really wanted to love the Fallkniven f1, I liked the blade and the look. But for me, the handle is to small. And I have owned 3 of them. They are still to small... Buy something else.:)

Its a good thing all knives aren't identical to each other. The BK2 is fine for a little bit of everything. Not saying it's perfect. Look at the CS Triad lock, is it needed on every folder made? No, it's overkill. A BK2 is overkill. But who cares, it's a fun knife to do what you want with. You can't break it, it's too short. You could shoot it and it will be fine. Throw it off an airplane, just an overbuilt heavy duty chunk of steel. Keep it sharp and it does most things ok.

The 10 is a bit better than the 2, IMO, but we all have preferences and such that push us towards or away from a particular knife. The 2 is iron skillet reliable, which is a big plus for many of the diehard users of the 2.

Its a good thing all knives aren't identical to each other. The BK2 is fine for a little bit of everything. Not saying it's perfect. Look at the CS Triad lock, is it needed on every folder made? No, it's overkill. A BK2 is overkill. But who cares, it's a fun knife to do what you want with. You can't break it, it's too short. You could shoot it and it will be fine. Throw it off an airplane, just an overbuilt heavy duty chunk of steel. Keep it sharp and it does most things ok.

There's a video somewhere with someone on youtube shooting it with a handgun, .38 I think. The blade takes 2-3 shots fine but the handle gets taken off when hit directly because it's skeletonized when it is hit. Technically, still a usable chunk of sharpened steel.

I find it to be quite versatile. By “versatile” I of course mean - “Can be employed for self-defense in the event a length of rebar isn’t handy and, in a pinch, might be made to cut something if a knife isn’t available.”

(Full disclosure - I own one and so should everyone, just because).

I bought two BK2 blade blanks (Camilus) long ago (on the exchange), unused. Gifted one and the other one has been waiting a handle and sheath for a long time.

My plan was to skeletonize the tang area a fair bit, slap two slabs of bright home made micarta to it (yellow/orange with pins and epoxy) and make a kydex sheath.

The blank itself is veeeeeery heavy, that's the reason I wanted to skeletonize it. Drill, carbide burr in the die grinder and files should take care of it just fine. What I don't know what to do about is the coating. Keeping it means I should shape the handle slabs BEFORE epoxing them to the tang (if I try to sand them later I risk ruining the coating). On the other hand, stripping the coating would allow me to regrind the bevels to thin it without it looking like crap. I don' trust my hand to maintain part of the coating when grinding the bevels....

Decisons decisions....

Back