Re-thinking the BK2

I've found out that if I didn't like a knife in the past, I will most likely not care about it again.

I've found out that if I didn't like a knife in the past, I will most likely not care about it again.
That has been my experience as well. If anything, I begin to kick myself in the butt for repeating the same mistake and spending the money. I do splurge sometimes for the fun of it, but this is one splurge I would avoid. My thought is.... why would I buy a knife (even the first time now) if I am pretty sure that I won't like it or that the knife is simply "okay" such as been mentioned. I don't really need "okay" any more. But I do experiment at times and sometimes they are just "okay".

I don’t sell any. Even what I don’t like I keep. Figuring why take a loss on something maybe the kids will like someday. But it has the added benefit of being able to give things a second try or a rework.

I don’t sell any. Even what I don’t like I keep. Figuring why take a loss on something maybe the kids will like someday. But it has the added benefit of being able to give things a second try or a rework.

I find a lot of these can make nice gifts. Not quite selling them but certainly not keeping them either.

I’m just going to say it. The BK2 serves no purposed other than to appeal to a man’s ego. Big angry looking survival/combat knife that just says you’re a bad arse. It’s often the first serious fixed blade bought but guys that are new to the knife world or just want something to impress. It’s a pure marketing success that feeds right into a man’s desire to have something built like a tank and virtually indestructible. Think Rambo or Commando. It’s really a fairly useless knife for 99% of the tasks a knife is intended for.

That being said, you’re dang right I owned one for a while! :p:cool:

Very true. Plus you can probably borrow it back to give it a second try.

I’ve got a pretty respectable stash growing with my brother. When I ask him for one back he brings it to me, I carry and use it a while, then give it right back to him. He gets to enjoy em too and we compare notes.

He’s got some now that he might not let back out of his possession. A few that I maybe should’ve hung onto. :D

Okay, so mine’s a 32, not a 2.
Lw61eCC.jpg

The stuff I was thinking of is German caffeinated chocolate. SchoKaKola. I think it is called.

I think the BK2 is a great knife. It's affordable and easily modified. It lets people find out what they like in a knife and help point them towards what they need in a knife.
If a big chunk of steel makes you and others smile when you first see and hold it then it's worth it. The BK2 gets people excited about our hobby/lifestyle, and I think it doesn't hurt to have more people on our side.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xWqMXNiBs7rR13iZ7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FjLgXC9BaMynwFDU9

I've reprofiled the edge on mine,not quite sure the exact angle as I was using a dmt diamond stone holder and hones on a gatco angle clamp in the 25 degree slot.The results after two hours was worth it and edge was sharp.In the kitchen,it would cut olives like you wouldn't believe.Not to mention, how really scary deep it could slash a dry 2" round spruce stick held in the other hand.

Last edited:
I think the BK2 is a great knife. It's affordable and easily modified. It lets people find out what they like in a knife and help point them towards what they need in a knife.
If a big chunk of steel makes you and others smile when you first see and hold it then it's worth it. The BK2 gets people excited about our hobby/lifestyle, and I think it doesn't hurt to have more people on our side.
The BK-2 does make me smile and it certainly appeals to the knife boy in me. ESEE knives do as well. I agree with you that the BK-2 does help refine your taste in knives. Certainly man toys!

The BK-2 and similar knives are part of the growing process with this hobby.

The BK-2 is sort of like a pickup truck..... a lot of us guys like our pickup trucks. I would venture to say that our need for a pickup is occasional for the most part unless you pull a trailer or boat.

I think I've had 3 PM2 variants. Have often debated picking up another. Cannot tell you why I dislike it exactly. Have tried custom scales and different steels. Just doesn't do it for me.

I agree on the PM2. Just don’t like it.
I attempted to field dress a deer with a BK2....... no sir, it wasn’t pretty. If you don’t like the BK2 give the BK 10 a try! It’s a little thinner.

I have had the same experiance. I bought it and sold it with a two week period. Then about a year later I took one on trade. I had a different experiance altogther but I took time to really get the feel of the blade. I had expected Excalibur and felt like I bought a butter knifethat was good at splitting wood. This time I stripped the finnish completly and repalce the scales with micarta but the key was convexing the edge! It worked miracles for me! Made it a different knife all together. The coating inhibits slicing, the factory edge and thickness is not good,so change them! I think you will be pleased. I love the sheath! Todd

Back