real benchmade or fake?

kingston73

Gold Member
I know this will be hard to answer without pictures but I recently bought a bench made griptilian off eBay and I'm worried that it might be fake. I haven't gotten it yetbut just today was looking at the pictures and suddenly realized there's no markings on the blade. Idontknow how old the knife is. Do all benchmafes always have the blade marked? Are there fake griptilians? Are the blade markings something that can wear off? I'll post pictures once I get it, if it is real I got a bargain as it was only $45.

We need pictures or you may as well flip a coin. There are a lot of specifics in markings and grinds that can either prove it to be authentic or provide it to be a fake.

That said, $45 is a pretty good deal for a Grip depending on condition. It is not that uncommon to see a new one for a little under $70.

Not confident answering your questions, but for answers after you get the knife you should check out the Benchmade sub-forum here, and for something definitive, the actual Benchmade forums--one of which is called: Fakes, Copies and Counterfeits.

There are Grips around without blade markings. In fact, there are a fat lot of different kinds of Grip!

It would take a lot for the markings to rub off, especially the "Benchmade" logo on the left side of the blade. Maybe if the blade was coated at one time, and the coating was removed, but other than that, I can't think of a way.

Post some pictures of it, especially the area around the AXIS lock: fit and finish in that area is one way to tell.

There are counterfeit "AXIS-style" knives, but I have yet to see a counterfeit Grip...

It will take some pictures. I hope it is real! I would be fired up if it was a fake :( Kevin

Its a od green grip with a drop point partially serrated edge. UPS says it should be here Tuesday so I'll update with pictures when it gets here. Thanks for the other forum suggestions.

I got the knife today and it is a real benchmade. The markings on the blade are nearly gone and so faded they don't show up in pictures. I know why I got it so cheap, it looks like a 5 year old was using it to scratch pictures in concrete. The blade is so dull and rounded it's unusable as it is, the pictures are after I spent a couple minutes with the stone trying to put some kind of edge on it. Really, the blade was perfectly rounded when I opened it, it could cut butter maybe but that's about it. I'll probably send it to benchmade for the factory sharpening once I look up how to do that. Other than the edge it's a nice knife, everything locks up tight and it opens and closes solidly. Here's some pictures, and if anybody wants to let me know how the benchmade factory sharpening works that would be great!

I got the knife today and it is a real benchmade. The markings on the blade are nearly gone and so faded they don't show up in pictures. I know why I got it so cheap, it looks like a 5 year old was using it to scratch pictures in concrete. The blade is so dull and rounded it's unusable as it is, the pictures are after I spent a couple minutes with the stone trying to put some kind of edge on it. Really, the blade was perfectly rounded when I opened it, it could cut butter maybe but that's about it. I'll probably send it to benchmade for the factory sharpening once I look up how to do that. Other than the edge it's a nice knife, everything locks up tight and it opens and closes solidly. Here's some pictures, and if anybody wants to let me know how the benchmade factory sharpening works that would be great!

I think that you got a good deal :thumbup: Benchmade does a nice job of cleaning up and sharpening the knife. IIRC they ask you to send like $5 to cover the shipping charges. It takes a few weeks to get back, but it is well worth the wait. I would suggest removing the lanyard if you can though. The only drawback is that they do not sharpen the serrations.

I think that you got a good deal :thumbup: Benchmade does a nice job of cleaning up and sharpening the knife. IIRC they ask you to send like $5 to cover the shipping charges. It takes a few weeks to get back, but it is well worth the wait. I would suggest removing the lanyard if you can though. The only drawback is that they do not sharpen the serrations.

Wut?

That's crazy, you might as well redo the edge yourself then IMO... That way you can get straight to using it!

Wut?

That's crazy, you might as well redo the edge yourself then IMO... That way you can get straight to using it!

I agree, but it depends on his ability to sharpen a knife. I ruined some serrations doing it wrong once. I learned, but the serrations were pretty ugly after that. But I learned how to sharpen them :thumbup:

After looking at the prices I might just pay the $25 for a new blade. I know if I do that I might as well have bought a new knife s o I'm still undecided. When I compare my blade with pictures of brand new grips it looks like whoever had it before might have snapped off the tip and reground it, the curve at the tip is a lot more rounded than pictures look.

I have a spyderco and a smaller kershaw that I carry so I don't HAVE to have this right now. This is my first axis lock and the little I've used it I gotta say I really like it. I guess all the great reviews I've read are pretty honest after all.

The blade profile approaching the tip looks a bit off as well. Almost as if the tip was re-ground (maybe was broken off at one point). If you're going to send it in to Benchmade, you might as well get a new blade. I'd suggest experimenting around with this one first though. Try sharpening it up and see what you can make of it. If you're still not happy with it, then send it in to Benchmade.

Wow, barely has a tip. Actually, i got my delica 4 from some kid who thought it was a flea market knife because "it has plastic handles." I gave him a little shitty winchester for it and he thought he burnt meeee. The blade was so out of shape it was pathetic but i brought the shaving sharp edge back to life! Put it at 40 degree (20 per side) and now its a work knife.

I decided to go ahead and get a new blade and shipped it out today. How long does it generally take to get it back from benchmade?

It took about a month but I got my refurbished blade back. Benchmade did a great job, but either I marked the wrong box, they made a mistake, or this is what the original blade was. Instead of the standard drop point I thought I was getting they sent back a tanto blade. Not what I wanted and now I'm wondering if I should keep it or just try selling it and get what I really want. I'd post it here but I'm not a gold member and can't see myself spending an extra $30 just to sell a knife that was originally meant to be an EDC .

I've never owned a tanto blade, how useful/useless are they? Is it worth keeping it? Send it back to benchmade? What would you do?

Here's some pictures:

Back