real benchmade or fake?

Just put it in a benchmade box and mail it out to beaver creek oregon. On a better note.. if you put in a check for $25 then they will put a brand new blade on for you with whatever style you want... FYI its $35 for a black coated blade
I got the knife today and it is a real benchmade. The markings on the blade are nearly gone and so faded they don't show up in pictures. I know why I got it so cheap, it looks like a 5 year old was using it to scratch pictures in concrete. The blade is so dull and rounded it's unusable as it is, the pictures are after I spent a couple minutes with the stone trying to put some kind of edge on it. Really, the blade was perfectly rounded when I opened it, it could cut butter maybe but that's about it. I'll probably send it to benchmade for the factory sharpening once I look up how to do that. Other than the edge it's a nice knife, everything locks up tight and it opens and closes solidly. Here's some pictures, and if anybody wants to let me know how the benchmade factory sharpening works that would be great!

I think the black blade with the green handle actually looks pretty awesome. I own a few tantos. IMHO, they serve just as well in an edc role as a standard drop point. A lot of people like edc'ing wharncliffes, and the straight primary cutting edge on a tanto is pretty much the same thing.

No one can make you like the blade, though. So it's really your call if you'd want to send it back or do something else. I am curious as to why they sent it back with a tanto blade, though.

Just send it back and tell them to change it
It took about a month but I got my refurbished blade back. Benchmade did a great job, but either I marked the wrong box, they made a mistake, or this is what the original blade was. Instead of the standard drop point I thought I was getting they sent back a tanto blade. Not what I wanted and now I'm wondering if I should keep it or just try selling it and get what I really want. I'd post it here but I'm not a gold member and can't see myself spending an extra $30 just to sell a knife that was originally meant to be an EDC .

I've never owned a tanto blade, how useful/useless are they? Is it worth keeping it? Send it back to benchmade? What would you do?

Here's some pictures:

Someone mentioned, it looks like the original blade was a tanto that was ground down into drop point shape. Maybe thats why they sent out a tanto replacement.

Nice snag. Send it to BM and have them drop in a D2 blade. Love my Cabella's Grippie. Cuts like a miniature chainsaw.

If your knife is a BM 553SBK, that would be the correct blade.

It would explain a lot about the shape of the blade as you received it.

Big Mike

That's what I think must have happened, I looked back at my original order and I just asked them to replace the blade, not to get a black tanto blade. The original was so washed out I couldn't see any model number so the original owner must have tried his hand at polishing.

The knife in the photo is real. Well used, coating stripped along the way, and shows how deep the laser etching goes. Yet the blade looks OK to me, just put a good edge on, use a diamond rat tail for the serrations and put it back to work. Save the $25 for other projects!

so they dont let you keep the original blade if you do a refit?
I think thaqt would be a major selling point on a new blade for me, so i could swap if needed...

Benchmade tends to keep and recycle the blades. Still, If spares are available, $25 for PE and $35 for CE consider what else they do for free is an amazing service...which I hope won't change anytime soon. :)

Back