realized my kershaw blur is a fake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I think stopping speeders, drunk drivers, hit and runs, etc takes priority over fake knives. Those of us with families that we want to keep safe on our public highways would probably agree.

There is much more to this than fake knives. Fake products of every kind undermine our intellectual property: and if you don't care about that either, then consider that those fake products include fake protective masks, fake medications, fake computer, communications and aircraft parts, and the kind of fake reporting that allowed 500,000 Chinese tourist to spread Covid 19 across our country. Do you think your family is safe flying around in an aircraft with fake flight instruments installed, that may also have a rudder attached with fake bolts?

We like to think of policing as street crime enforcement; but, we are all far more at risk from so called white collar crime. Fake parts, website, call services, etc. which can steel our property and identities and are able to poison us at will.

n2s

There is much more to this than fake knives. Fake products of every kind undermine our intellectual property: and if you don't care about that either, then consider that those fake products include fake protective masks, fake medications, fake computer, communications and aircraft parts, and the kind of fake reporting that allowed 500,000 Chinese tourist to spread Covid 19 across our country. Do you think your family is safe flying around in an aircraft with fake flight instruments installed, that may also have a rudder attached with fake bolts?

We like to think of policing as street crime enforcement; but, we are all far more at risk from so called white collar crime. Fake parts, website, call services, etc. which can steel our property and identities and are able to poison us at will.

n2s
I never said I didn’t care, so please don’t put words in my mouth. The current discussion here is about fake knives and that is what I addressed. There is clearly an issue with fake or poor quality merchandise being produced. That’s why it is important to do your research and only buy from reputable dealers. If more people boycotted these crooked companies, they would eventually disappear.

I never said I didn’t care, so please don’t put words in my mouth. The current discussion here is about fake knives and that is what I addressed. There is clearly an issue with fake or poor quality merchandise being produced. That’s why it is important to do your research and only buy from reputable dealers. If more people boycotted these crooked companies, they would eventually disappear.
The old axiom applies - "you get what you pay for", "if it's too good to be true - it generally is". Buy from a reputable dealer, but unfortunately, some people will never learn.

I'll pay more if needed to make sure its authentic. Buying from an authorized dealer is money well spent. All knife companies have a list of authorized dealers.

I hope the seller on eBay cuts themselves bad with the fake kershaws.

We need to be careful labeling every knife that is different than the know real one in our hand as a fake. Many rolling changes happen in the factory every year. Be it who set up the laser for that run or a minor change that helps with production. Even clip shape and markings has changed on some models over the years. The flag is also a new thing in the last few years. Older Kershaw's don't have it but all of the new made in the USA ones do.

I don't buy from Amazon or eBay for most items because of problems with counterfeit and unseen problems in photos. If the price seems too good to be true......

You should ask the seller for a refund.
The dealer knows they're selling fakes and will probably issue a refund without even questioning you.

Agreed. And if not, I bet Ebay will back you up if they don't.

sadly too at first i thought that maybe kershaw had started cutting corners on the blurs, or maye they just did a poor job on this version

It’s unfortunate that you got taken by a eBay’r selling fakes, as has been said here already, caveat emptor. But your initial thoughts are another indication of an issue. Immediately assuming the company was cutting corners or lowering their standards on a auction site or second hand piece just goes to show that blame is usually thrown elsewhere before maybe thinking we made a poor choice.

I hope you get your money back J JeremiahWeaver09 and stay away from those fakes.

Frankly, I don't see this as an Ebay issue. To me this is yet another indication of our failed law enforcement. It should be simple enough for police to buy the item online, test it, and then hit the seller with a fine if it turns out to be a fake. Impose a $125 on the first offense, $500 on a repeat offense and call it a misdemeanor on a third and the entire Chinese fake product market will dry up in a week. But, you know, our law enforcement is way too busy handing out traffic infractions to bother to clean this up.

n2s
Or trying to keep people from burning our cities to the ground?

Frankly, I don't see this as an Ebay issue. To me this is yet another indication of our failed law enforcement. It should be simple enough for police to buy the item online, test it, and then hit the seller with a fine if it turns out to be a fake. Impose a $125 on the first offense, $500 on a repeat offense and call it a misdemeanor on a third and the entire Chinese fake product market will dry up in a week. But, you know, our law enforcement is way too busy handing out traffic infractions to bother to clean this up.

It's called buyer beware.

It's called buyer beware.

No, it goes beyond that. These fakes are extremely hard to detect in hand and even harder from a few pictures. Just about everyone has been taken by these things. You are pitting the buyer up against the resources of massive criminal organizations. If law enforcement can’t handle this then perhaps it’s time to redefine that job.

n2s

n2s

I can't really say who's issue it should be...I think part of that depends on the intent/awareness of the seller, and that's its own matter. All I can say is that if I owned a website and it was being used to facilitate the sale of products that could prospectively cause my customers or stakeholders serious injury due to that product not being what is advertised and failing to perform as the genuine product it mimics, I would personally want to try to take some sort of action, whether that be a peer-based reporting system that is actually acted upon (eBay's is largely not and woefully insufficient), or something. Further, I would have major issues not taking action if inaction meant supporting an industry that directly harms American knife makers. As I don't own eBay, and I am not a legal expert or a high-ranking government official, I am sure the issue is far, far, far, more complicated than that, but that's my pie in the sky personal opinion.

There is no reason to buy knives on eBay.

Sometimes there are knives on eBay or elsewhere that really cannot be found from ADs. There are options for definitive peace of mind even though it certainly doesn't eliminate the financial risk of purchase.

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 2.58.52 PM.jpg

n2s

You can't be serious. And yes, I read your response after this.

There is so much wrong with this.

Who is going to pay for all this testing and the staffing?

What jurisdiction would this fall under?

Impose a fine on whom exactly?

Who is going to pay to oversee and collect these fines?

Who gets the misdemeanor and why would they care?

What about overseas markets?

You do realize traffic stops not only help bring about some semblance sanity on the roadways but lead to the discovery of much worse things like drugs, felony possession of firearms, outstanding warrants, stolen vehicles, and so much more.

I'm not arguing against the scourge of counterfeiting and I agree with you on IP theft and such but it is naive at best to just make a blanket statement that this is a law enforcement problem, while also being critical of law enforcement doing their jobs.

I don't want to wade into political territory and this seems headed there.

I thank the OP for sharing and especially for the pictures. Awareness and education or critical steps in helping to protect the community from these thieves.

Last edited:
16179756-9417-405E-96D4-5CF6C243805A.jpeg I was going through some of my blurs and notice the different style of blade grind . Not sure what to think about this .

782AB938-59B1-4BB2-8031-83CC2D8A13BF.jpeg

:) I've done very well , generally , and saved a ton of $$$$ buying from wherever I find the best deal .

Often that's from eBay or Amazon .

I have had to go thru the hassle of returning , but only rarely , and have always received a full refund .

Shopping around for a bargain is a big part of the fun for me . YMMV ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Noob here. Just bought a spyderco para 2 black DLC off amazon. Seems one side of the blade is a shade darker than the other. Is this unusual or a sign of a knockoff?

Yep. I was sold a fake Benchmade on Ebay. The seller I bought from had a 100% feedback also.

I went through the process of getting my money back, but it took a lot of persistence. Ebay agreed with me, gave me money back, and I sent the fake back to the seller who then relisted it for a one day auction and sold it again.

I would have thought Ebay would ban the seller, but they didn't. Apparently if you get caught selling fakes on Ebay they give the seller the money back, and you return the fake to the seller, who sells the fake again.

Lesson learned. Im done with Ebay.

Bet they don't have 100% feedback any more. ;)

Jeez, some of those are pretty damn cheap to begin with. How much money does one save by importing a counterfeit Fraxion?

This has always been my question. I bought some fake Izula's years ago, before I realized Chinese clones were a thing, and I paid about the going rate for a little used one...I think about $25-30 each from a dealer's table at a gun show. He said he was selling his knives out and going to focus on guns so he was making deals and saving Internet selling fees, etc. It just seems like it would be hard to produce fakes, ship them overseas, buy from a distributor and then re-sell for a profit at $25 (guess not).

Like many have said, buyer beware....I went to the next show and confronted the dealer who acted all innocent stating he did NOT sell those and the show's operator tried to kick ME out so I left and have never gone back to one of their advertised shows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back