Really...

Which blade is better in YOUR opinion?

• Black

Votes: 22 16.5%
  • Polished (Aka silver)

Votes: 111 83.5%

• Total voters
My parents won’t let me get the Kershaw Link or the Blur, because they said it’s “to big for every day carry”. I tried to talk them into it, but they said NO. How do I get them to say yes? 4.5 inches closed isn’t that big... :(

You should have said you were trying to decide between the blur and a cold steel xl voyager. They would have said yes to the blur.

Kidding. Just buy it with your money or wait until you move out.
I would be buying it with my own money. They apparently don’t want me to have a knife that big? :/

Not sure how much heavy use you are planning for what you buy, but a Kershaw Leek is in that size range and is an assisted opener.

Their roof, their rules. Look and see what's legal in your area and use that as a benchmark I the next.conversation. Where there's a will there's a way! Good luck!

James
I guess you’re right - I will try to talk them out of it again, as I haven’t talked to my dad yet.

I just don’t get how smaller knives are more expensive. (The Leek is $10-$15 more expensive than the Link)

I also saw the Kershaw Scallion - is that a good quality knife?

In your size range the Leek, Scallion, and Chive are all options that would be worth looking at, at least as one man's opinion. You could certainly do worse that any of those three.

I guess you’re right - I will try to talk them out of it again, as I haven’t talked to my dad yet.

I just don’t get how smaller knives are more expensive. (The Leek is $10-$15 more expensive than the Link)
Lots of other factors besides size go into setting a price for any knife, including blade steel and handle material.

How do I get them to say yes?
Start by not trying.
You're 15, you get to compromise.
If it's handle length they're focused on, the Natrix is similar to the Link... same 3.25" blade, with a 4.25" handle.
Not being a fan of assisted opening, I'll throw in the Atmos as another alternative

Lots of other factors besides size go into setting a price for any knife, including blade steel and handle material.
I see. I will look into the ones you mentioned, thanks!

Not sure you can buy any Kershaw for $15 :^((
But maybe used one ?
No, not $15, I meant the Leek is $15 more expensive than the Link. (Even though it’s smaller) :)

My budget is essentially $50.

Ask them what constitutes “not too big” from their viewpoint and work out your options from there. Negotiate, but with respect. As some of the others said here, their roof their rules. Also, always check with your local knife laws.

I know you mentioned Kershaws, but the Para 3 LW and Delica 4 are excellent compact EDC knives. It would never occur to me to think of those knives as too large.

Back