Really...

Which blade is better in YOUR opinion?

• Black

Votes: 22 16.5%
  • Polished (Aka silver)

Votes: 111 83.5%

• Total voters
Ask them what constitutes “not too big” from their viewpoint and work out your options from there. Negotiate, but with respect. As some of the others said here, their roof their rules. Also, always check with your local knife laws.

I know you mentioned Kershaws, but the Para 3 LW and Delica 4 are excellent compact EDC knives. It would never occur to me to think of those knives as too large.
Those are a little above my price range. :) (good looking knives though)

What does “edc” mean? (I’m new to these terms.)

It stands for "everyday carry".

I see you're in KY. Very knife friendly state if you use common sense:) Like the others have said, check out the Leek. Very nice little knife for EDC. If you make it toward Louisville, stop by Academy Sports. I just checked and they sell the Leek for right at $54.99.

Good luck:)

Well that's a bummer, but they are your parents and you live under their roof, better to keep them happy. I'd go for a small Natrix. I have the medium and XL versions, the small would be too small for me but it would fit with your parents criteria, and its a cool knife to boot. not assisted, but you dont need it. They're chinese Kershaws, but they're decently made and have the full lifetime warranty.

Also, I agree with checking out Academy Sports, but their prices are a bit high. I did however get my first Kershaw at an Academy (the Academy exclusive Tone) and it has served me well and is still in my collection! I don't use it much right now due to not really digging Tanto blade shapes but its a stout knife and well built. I think it was only 35 bucks as well! Might still be too big for your parents though.

Couple of things. First and most important, know that your parents want the best for you, though it's frustrating at times. Realize they have the final say and the more respectful and responsible you ard, the more freedom you'll get.

As for knifes, there are a ton in your price range. I recently bought a Kizer Vanguard Sovereign in Bohler N690 and love it! Here's a quick look I wrote up: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/quick-look-kizer-vanguard-sovereign.1734636/

Your folks don't want you to get in trouble with a big knife, whether it's with police or accidentally cutting yourself. Scanlon why you want a knife that size. If there no good reason other than you want it (which is perfectly acceptable around here:D), then you may have to wait a while. Just remember that your behaviour controls your level of freedom I say that as a long time dad of several boys. In the meantime, enjoy the knives you have and use them safely!

Ask your parents what they would be okay with. The fact that you're here shows you have an appreciation and interest in quality knives and this hobby. As a dad, I understand what your parents are saying but I also think it's great that you're here and learning. Involve your parents for the first purchase perhaps, and when they see your passion, you may collectively find a compromise. I'm willing to bet it would also be an experience you all will remember for some time. My father took me to purchase my first knife 30 or so years ago and I remember it well.

Best of luck.

A couple of things, don't be in a hurry to spend your money. Save up for something beyond your current budget. You'll appreciate the knife more. Educate yourself as to why the current knives you own are more dangerous than a well built knife that will be reliable. That way, you can educate your parents. You've got to have something to go to the bargaining table with besides "cause I want one".
What do you think would be better, having knowledge of knives to prove you're a responsible young adult or acting like a spoiled brat that doesn't know diddly squat about the tools they use ?

My parents did lots of stupid things raising me. Looking back I realize they were right I was wrong every time.

Now I do stupid things to my kids, for the right reasons.

Just be glad you have parents that care enough to have rules. Do what you can to show you are responsible and help out whenever you can.

Back