Reate Knives 2018 high-end knife: New Torrent(Coming soon)

ReaTe - why and why in lords name do you continue to use photosuckit to post pictures of your precious knives that nobody can see?

I've spoken to Shera at Reate about fixing this but they are on their New Year holiday at the moment......

I've tried to post the few pics I have to help out. I don't have photos of the Valhalla unfortunately. The Mini Horizon and Star Boy already have photo threads.

Pictures updated.
Thank you for you guys patience. And thanks a lot for Ture Talon's help.

Thanks Shera - although I don't think I helped all that much.

But always happy to help when I can. :)

Agreed.

Here's the four models they are releasing. No patterned Damasteel models - at least not for general sale.

Maybe I'm missing something but it just seems like the first torrent, but with rwl34.
I mean aside from handle materials and finishes, aren't all the specs just about the same?
When I first heard about the 2nd torrent, I thought it was gonna be a mini was bummed when I found out it's not, then I find out it's not m390. Dissapointed.

I like the double inlay with the bronze anodized frame, though. That is a good-looking knife. Do you know what the small gold-colored textured inlay piece is?

The gold-colored inlay within the carbon fiber inlay is actually not an inlay.... its part of the titanium handle that pops up in the middle of the carbon fiber inlay! So there is only one inlay (carbon fiber) and in the center of that there is a cut out and the titanium handle is visible and it has a textured and anodized finish. I talked with David at the IWA show about this as I too thought it was an inlay within an inlay... Quite a manufacturing challenge to do it like this!

Maybe I'm missing something but it just seems like the first torrent, but with rwl34.
I mean aside from handle materials and finishes, aren't all the specs just about the same?
When I first heard about the 2nd torrent, I thought it was gonna be a mini was bummed when I found out it's not, then I find out it's not m390. Dissapointed.
Doesn't sound like you're missing anything (except for missing the first production round). It's still over 6 oz., too.

Apparently several other dealers have complained to Reate about me and this thread.

All I’ve done is point out the steel was RWL34 and not M390 like the original. My own customers pointed this out to me.....

If other dealers have a problem with this then they can contact me personally or better still post their comments in the thread for everyone to see.

Apparently several other dealers have complained to Reate about me and this thread.

All I’ve done is point out the steel was RWL34 and not M390 like the original. My own customers pointed this out to me.....

If other dealers have a problem with this then they can contact me personally or better still post their comments in the thread for everyone to see.
It's becoming increasingly unpopular to simply speak the truth.

It is interesting that the new Torrent is RWL34 instead of M390 but is only $25 cheaper than the old Torrent, while the new Valkyrie is nearly $100 cheaper.

Anything that drops in price is a surprise to me especially given what we've seen recently from Spyderco and before that Benchmade.

RWL34 is one of the best balance pm steel on the market. Like a superior version of CPM154 it gonna have much better toughness and edge stability over M390. Unless you plan to cut a lot of manila robe I think RWL34 is nothing inferior to M390.

RWL34 is one of the best balance pm steel on the market. Like a superior version of CPM154 it gonna have much better toughness and edge stability over M390. Unless you plan to cut a lot of manila robe I think RWL34 is nothing inferior to M390.

It's not as tough and will not hold an edge as long as M390 due to it's composition although it seems to be easier to sharpen. I have already discussed this issue with the Technical Manager at my local Bohler Uddeholm office.

Look at the composition of the steels.

M390
Chemical Composition

Carbon 1.90%
Chromium 20.00%
Vanadium 4.00%
Molybdenum 1.00%
Silicon .70%
Tungsten .60%
Manganese .30%

RWL34
Chemical Composition

Carbon 1.05%
Chromium 14.00%
Vanadium 0.2%
Molybdenum 4.00%
Silicon .50%
Tungsten 0%
Manganese 0%

http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=M390&ni=404&hrn=1&gm=0

http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/rwl-34.shtml

I'm not saying and have never said RWL34 is a bad steel. Knife makers really like it because it's easy to work with and it can achieve a high mirror polish.

Everyone can obviously believe what they want to. Or if you like you can pit your steel knowledge against the Tech Manager at your local Bohler office and see if you're more of an expert than he is....

So you asked Bohler how their steel compare to the competitor? Haha you must be very humble dude.

The toughness of steel is majorly control by the amount of carbide in the matrix or in other word the carbon content and it is impossible for M390 to Be tougher than 14-4 PM type steel it just a matter of science.

And the edge stability is not the same as edge holding. It is an ability to hold the very fine edge at low degree angle which steel with lower carbide volumeand finer grain structure will high likely to be superior at the similar hardness.

The edge holding is depend on many variables. If you plan to cut mass amount of robe or cardboard then M390 going to be better due to vanadium carbide but otherwise RWL34 Will be more idiot proof, sharpen easier and maybe a little lower in corrosion resistance.

One of my hobby is providing heat treating service for knife maker especially for high alloy steel both M390 , RWL34, XHP, Elmax, 3V etc. with digital control kiln and molten salt bath equipment. I did HRC and destrution test on every sample piece to mke sure the steel I heat treated is up to expectations. So what I said is not base on some internet observations but a only a matter of metallurgy and experience.

Last edited:
S shqxk the composition of RWL-34 is the same as CPM-154 and while CPM-154 is a very good steel it is in most regards considered to be not as good as M390. I would think it is rather unlikely that RWL-34 would be superior, or significantly superior, to CPM-154 given how close their composition is which would mean it is about the same in comparison to M390 as CPM-154 is. The reality is that "best" is only a matter of what steel best suits the needs of the tool and its use.

While the composition might be close except the hint of vanadium for grain refrinement. RWL34 is made with higher quality compare to CPM154. There are still some batch of CPM154 that still have visibly carbide banding when sand to mirror polish but that will never happen with Damasteel RWL34.

Good is supjective term. M390 definitely has better wear resistance but it does be more fragile. If you has a M390 sharpen to low angle like 10 degree per side you can suffer micro chipping with less than good cutting while RWL34 properly wont. The brittleness also translate to easier to have a tip break via accident etc.

I wont say M390 is a better steel. They both are the best of their type. This is not D2 vs CPM-D2 which one are clearly better at almost every aspect.

Back