1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Reate Knives District 9-Plus

Discussion in 'Reate Knives' started by ReaTe, Oct 14, 2015.

1. ReaTe

ReaTe

Feb 15, 2014
    District 9-Plus were came out a few days ago.Compare with D-9A&B,District 9-Plus was totally improved. District 9-Plus combined with the style of A and B but the work is more sophisticated. And it is also lighter than before which is only 180g now.So with the weihgt loss, the blade around the center of gravity is more harmonious.What's more, process is more delicate as well as has two different color for the blade which are light and dark.

Reate Knives would like to talk a little bit about one important technique—Freeze Edging Skill

As the final process for a blade, edging has a great effect on the performance of the knife, after all, the edge part is the main function area when using a knife. Normally, edging is operated on a high-speed running grinding wheel or grinding belt, which produces a very high temperature. Without a cooling system, the temperature on the edge goes up instantly to hundreds of centigrade, when it gets worse, it will burn and leave heat marks on the blade. Tempering or even annealing will happen on area of the edge where the temperature increasing instantly. It will harm the hardness and durability of the blade. That’s why some knives pass the hardness standard test but easily get worn in actual use.

Reate Knives use the freeze edging technique. During grinding, the temperature on the edge is controlled in a certain level of degree, which helps keep the hardness after the heat treating. Therefor, the sharpness and durability of the blade are assured. This helps bring the performance of the material to the best.

District9-Plus
    Ball bearing system
    Open Length:8.6”
    Blade length:3.75”
    Closed length:4.85”
    Blade thickness:0.157”
    Blade material:S35VN
    Blade material hardness:59HRC
    Handle material:6AL4V
    Weight: 180g (6.35oz)
    Open type : flipper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  2. ReaTe

ReaTe

Feb 15, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    The darker blade...is that an acid wash?

These certainly do improve upon the original D9. Beautiful work once again!

4. ReaTe

ReaTe

Feb 15, 2014

Hello,the blade is sandblasting not acid wash. :D

5. austonh

austonh Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 26, 2012
    An HD vid for those interested:

[video=youtube;xTy0gOXs67I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTy0gOXs67I[/video]

6. dingy

dingy

Feb 19, 2008
    amazing folding knives , you did great on those knives REATE.

Freeze Edging Skill , do you mean cooling?

7. boostdemon

boostdemon

Oct 20, 2015
    The sand blasted option is a definite add to my list - do we have any estimated date for when they will arrive in the states?

8. austonh

austonh Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 26, 2012
    A few already have them, I think GPKnives has some available now.

9. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
  10. boostdemon

boostdemon

Oct 20, 2015
    Oh sweet, thanks! i'll send in my order :thumbup:

11. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
  12. ReaTe

ReaTe

Feb 15, 2014

Yes sir, you are totally right:)

13. 101N

101N

May 20, 2015
    Torrents info - & pics- please!

14. ReaTe

ReaTe

Feb 15, 2014
  15. Ad58

Ad58

May 23, 2005
    Hi David,

On what kind of ball bearing system runs the D9 plus?

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  16. TimeOnTarget

TimeOnTarget

Mar 21, 2016
    They are ceramic bearings- single row. They rest against washers so there is no contact with the titanium handles.

I am really glad I bought mine. Great knife!

17. Ad58

Ad58

May 23, 2005
    D9 or D9 plus? I am after the D9 plus.... I own already a Horizon C. Very good knife, but it just needed a brother...

18. TimeOnTarget

TimeOnTarget

Mar 21, 2016
    I have the D9 Plus.

19. Ad58

Ad58

May 23, 2005
    I thought the D9 plus really runs on multi-row ceramic ball bearing?

20. TimeOnTarget

TimeOnTarget

Mar 21, 2016
    I only saw one row of bearings, but I could be wrong. I flipped mine dry about 50 times and then cleaned and lubricated it and it runs super smooth now.