Reate Valkyrie II Carbon Fiber M390

RamZar

Gold Member
Weighs 4.95 ounces with a 3.8" M390 blade (0.15" thick) and CF on the presentation side (without liners). Pricey at $425!

valkyrie2.jpg

valkyrie2-2.jpg

valkyrie2-3.jpg

Pricey and just another pocket brick to me. Please let me know when Reate gets around to making knives that weigh less than 4 ounces and cost less than $200. Then maybe I can stop giving all my lightweight folder money to Kizer, ZT and Spyderco.

We have plans to make smaller folders in the future . . .
And I have plans to buy smaller folders in the future. Hopefully our plans will coincide. :)

Last edited:
I thought these were supposed to be a Fort Henry exclusive. I got one for a bit less that the current price. It's a nice knife, but I thought I was getting something that wouldn't be on general release.

So it would appear Then again, was the one you purchased the Carbon Fiber model? The Fort Henry version appears to have been full Ti.

Edit: Nevermind. I see the CF version and it does say it's available only from The Fort. What it doesn't say is how long it will be available only from The Fort and it's discontinued there now.

Last edited:
Yes - it was a Valkyrie II - M390/CF. On the Fort Henry site they're listed as an exclusive.

Check my edit. I'm thinking The Fort had first crack at them before they went into wider circulation. So for awhile, at least, they WERE the sole dealer for the Valkyrie II.

Pricey and just another pocket brick to me. Please let me know when Reate gets around to making knives that weigh less than 4 ounces and cost less than $200. Then maybe I can stop giving all my lightweight folder money to Kizer, ZT and Spyderco.

And I have plans to buy smaller folders in the future. Hopefully our plans will coincide. :)

Unfortunately, doubtful it'll ever happen.

I thought these were supposed to be a Fort Henry exclusive. I got one for a bit less that the current price. It's a nice knife, but I thought I was getting something that wouldn't be on general release.

I too thought these were a Fort Henry exclusive considering Vince from Fort Henry commissioned the knife to begin with. Very odd.

I too thought these were a Fort Henry exclusive considering Vince from Fort Henry commissioned the knife to begin with. Very odd.
True, but I don't see the word "exclusive" used anywhere. Maybe somebody should get in touch with Vince and ask him if he thought he had an exclusive.

Unfortunately, doubtful it'll ever happen.

We'll see. I mean, given ZT's "proudly overbuilt" heritage, who thought they would release folders like the 0770CF and the 0450? But they did. If they can do that, so can Reate. I just hope it doesn't take Reate as long to wake up to the lightweight folder category as it took ZT.

Last edited:
This is a Faisal Yamin design built by Reate. Maybe that has something to do with the fluid "exclusive" status? I have the full Ti Valkyrie and love it, but have no desire to buy this remake.

I'm a little afraid the next new, in-house design by Reate will be the Horizon E, lol. I've got my Horizons, D9 and Hills, really don't need another 3.75" beefy Reate blade.

C'mon David, we know you've got a sweet little 3" lightweight flipper on your workbench!:p

Typically, when a knife is an exclusive, there's something on the website that indicates it's an exclusive. For example:

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SK...e-one-piece-gray-aluminum-handle-kc-exclusive

Nothing on the Fort Henry site says that the Valkyrie II Carbon Fiber M390 is an exclusive. It only says that Fort Henry is the only one who has them. Without Fort Henry saying that they're the only ones who will EVER have them or specifically using the word "exclusive", it's NOT an exclusive.

The devil's in the details!

On the other hand, those who picked up Valkyrie II's from Fort Henry appear to have paid less for them than the current going price. And they're are expensive enough so you shouldn't see them coming and going. While you might not have gotten an exclusive, I'd say you did all right . . . especially if you like the knife. :thumbup: :D

Last edited:
We'll see. I mean, given ZT's "proudly overbuilt" heritage, who thought they would release folders like the 0770CF and the 0450? But they did. If they can do that, so can Reate. I just hope it doesn't take Reate as long to wake up to the lightweight folder category as it took ZT.

It seems like Reate has abandoned the sub-$200 market. All their latest folders are in the $250+ range.

It seems like Reate has abandoned the sub-$200 market. All their latest folders are in the $250+ range.

Despite what most of us would like, myself included, Reate has no reason to go back to the sub $200 range if they're doing just as good or better at a higher price point

The 2 pages on the Fort Henry website where it was sold did specifically use the word "exclusive" - not right at the top, but in the description.

One oddity I did notice about the knife is that the lanyard hole is not drilled through the CF scale. I guess they were worried about the fragility of the material. Of course the hole in the Ti scale is still usable, but some people might find it a bit weird-looking to have the lanyard through only one side of the handle.

Anyways, I'm happy with the knife.

The 2 pages on the Fort Henry website where it was sold did specifically use the word "exclusive" - not right at the top, but in the description.
You're right. I didn't catch that the first time, but I see it now. Not that it would make any difference on this knife, but for the sake of truth in advertising, I'd say a call to Vince is in order. Exclusivity means a lot to some folks.

Last edited:
I wonder how many Valkyrie 2's were made in relation to Valkyrie 1's (< 100?)?

The fact the 2's have an "in stock" status would indicate there might be more of 'em.

I wonder how many Valkyrie 2's were made in relation to Valkyrie 1's (< 100?)?

The fact the 2's have an "in stock" status would indicate there might be more of 'em.

Minimum Order Quantity with Reate is 120 knives. I'm guessing that part of the reason for more Valkyrie II CF M390 being available is simply due to the hefty price difference ($150) over the regular all titanium Valkyrie. Of course, M390 & CF come at a premium.

Despite what most of us would like, myself included, Reate has no reason to go back to the sub $200 range if they're doing just as good or better at a higher price point

Agreed. Whether they do go back to the sub-$200 range is to be determined.

With Todd Begg Knives contracting with Reate to produce 1,200 of the Steelcraft Kwaiken flippers and soon Mini Bodega flippers it looks like Reate will be plenty busy producing high-end high-priced knives.

And more power to them, I say. Big, heavy, pricey folders aren't my thing, but there are plenty of folders out there that are. Kizer's been producing them practically from day one with more being added all the time. Even ZT is now making sub-$200 lightweight folders that work for me. And if I really feel like going over the top, there's always William Henry. So if Reate never builds a knife that suits me, I guess I'll just never be a Reate customer. C'est la vie!

Back