Received today: ZT 0566

Yup - thanks that really helps - now it definitelly is on my must-have-list :D

Wonderful thread! I'm making a treasury from this thread!

Still my thumb is bleeding indeed... :/
I wrote to ZT, it's hard to open with thumbstuds and now I've blisters.
Let's see what they are going to say. Especially becasue I'm on the way to order another ZT, bigger like the 562 or the 300, but i don't want to feel that stickiness.
Especially if I need to go in Africa for my deployment... you know.:D

So this is the great bad dilemma.
Keeping and de-assisting, but loosing some funny flipperin
or
keeping as that and keep flippering but not as that smooth.
:foot:

In one way or another, this knife will be never as smooth as my Grip...

suggestions?

Last edited:
I answered the de-assist question, as far as it concerns me.

I was watching tv this afternoon while flipping my 0566. This has become a habit, since I got it a month, or so, ago. I went to close the knife and it had no tension on the blade. I managed to snap the torsion bar. The action of the knife felt terrible with the broken torsion bar in there "gumming" up the works, so I pulled up this site and started reading about how to re-center the blade, along with some other tricks that people have used to tune the manual action after removing the torsion bar.

I took the knife apart removed the broken spring, sanded the washers and their contact areas and then hit them with a fine sharpmaker stone. I cleaned all of the gunk out with gun scrubber. Man was this thing nasty on the inside!! I was amazed at all the gunk and grease. I tried a little of the Rem-Drilube on the washers, then put her back together, centered the blade and adjusted the pivot, loose with no blade play. The verdict? I am ordering a new torsion bar from ZT. The knife is really smooth and the detent is great with it de-assisted. I actually love being able to close it without fighting the spring. But it takes some wrist action to open now. It may be a technique thing, but I can't flip it without some. Plus, the bearings in my Southard have spoiled me a little bit. I know I am comparing apples and oranges, but it is all I have to compare. I love the 0566 and have carried it everyday since I got it, but I am definitely one of those people who prefer the AO, at least on this particular knife.

You should be able to flip open this knife without using your wrist. You might want to look into larger washers. Read back in this thread. Try to back off a bit on the pivot screw. It doesn't take much to make a difference. Put a wedge between the lock bar and the frame, when the blade is open and adjust the pivot until the blade just falls under its own weight. Now try to use the flipper again. There should be no side play at this point if you adjusted it right. Larger dia. washers would be a help. I have filled the area where the spring travels with epoxy and added the larger washers. Almost as smooth as my Southard. No wrist needed at all.
Best of luck.
Ron

Just got my 0566BW in. I've got to admit that I am a bit underwhelmed. I like the size, and the looks are very appealing, but the assisted opening is the worst of any Kai product that I have bought. Of course, I've done nothing to help it out yet and perhaps I am a bit spoiled with the otherwise outstanding assisted openers that I have bought from Kai.

Over the weekend, I'll read this thread in its entirety and see if there are any tips. Otherwise, I'll just start cleaning and adjusting until I can improve it some. First time that I have bought a ZT and not been happy with the product right out of the box. But...I'll get it right.

Also need to replace the G10 scale with a custom CF. ;)

Just got my 0566BW in. I've got to admit that I am a bit underwhelmed. I like the size, and the looks are very appealing, but the assisted opening is the worst of any Kai product that I have bought. Of course, I've done nothing to help it out yet and perhaps I am a bit spoiled with the otherwise outstanding assisted openers that I have bought from Kai.

Over the weekend, I'll read this thread in its entirety and see if there are any tips. Otherwise, I'll just start cleaning and adjusting until I can improve it some. First time that I have bought a ZT and not been happy with the product right out of the box. But...I'll get it right.

Also need to replace the G10 scale with a custom CF. ;)

I felt the same about the AO. It was slow compared to most kershaws, and a little inconvenient. After de assisting mine I really like it though, whole new knife. I have also been wondering where all the custom scales for the 0566 are going to pop up.

For scales check suingab @ Blade Forums.
Thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1173808-Custom-Made-Knife-Scales
custom scales for stock knives (from G10, Micarta, Wood, Carbon Fiber, C-Tek, Kirinite)

Quote "Now I'm able to make scales for these knives
Spyderco: Military, Paramilitary2, Endura4, Delica4, Stretch, Persistence, Tenacious, Resilience, UKPK older, UKPK newest (coming soon)
ZT: 550, 560, 566 (coming soon)
BM: 550, 556 (coming soon)
Ontario RAT folders: model1 and model2
*Actually I can customize more models, but you would have to send me your knife*

My page with some of my art works >> http://g10.lt

Prices start from $30USD (incl. free worldwide shipping)

If you want to order or have any questions - the best ways to contact me are Email (suingab (AT) gmail.com) or Skype (suingab)"

I felt the same about the AO. It was slow compared to most kershaws, and a little inconvenient. After de assisting mine I really like it though, whole new knife. I have also been wondering where all the custom scales for the 0566 are going to pop up.

At the end of the story I returned back the 0566 swapping it for a 550.
If this thing got to be stiff and strong I better choose something even sturdier.

In any case once the 0562 will be out there will be no story... I will take it hands down

Surprised by all the hate in this thread. At least for the standard, assisted 566. The only thing I did to mine was switch out the pocket clip with the clip from the 770, and it has been perfect ever since. Excellent action, good opening assist, not too hard to open (with the flipper)... I can't say enough good things about it. The ONLY thing it needed was a better clip. I guess I just got incredibly lucky. I can't imagine ever wanting to de-assist it.

Hey no hate here, just sharing some experiences and some bad luck probably.

At my side I was absolutely not hating but just unfitting probably. I even. Ought a higher price model.
IMO nothing justifies 700 flips as break in or something like that. Especially for a knife that I'm paying more around 200 bucks more or less.
And since I love this tough knives especially when I'm going to be deployed in the field I just need something to be easy and perfect right out if the box. No matter but especially for high end quality sturdy knives

Cheers!
:)

And by the way awaiting the new 562...

Love mine even more now that ive carried it for a while. De-assisted, it flips sooooo nicely. I can do it every time with very little effort if my technique is right. Without the torsion bar, the detent isnt bad at all, and it can be flicked with either the thumbstud or flipper much more easily than it could with the assist in. The elmax has been a joy to use as well. Little to no lock wear so far, even after endless flicking for the past two weeks. I think I like it better than if it had Ti, for that reason

Back