Recommend me a good hunting knife

I still use the first fixed blade Spyderco ever produced. It is a Spyderco Bill Moran drop point fixed blade used mainly for field dressing when hunting. The Bill Moran is not a great big hunker of a Bowie type model, is easy to carry, holds an edge, and the handle won't tear up your hand. It is a very efficient knife and was reasonably priced.

Here is some info about the Bill Moran if you are unfamiliar with it. It has been around a long time. Spyderco makes a large number of different fixed blade models from different knife makers, the Bow River being one of their bargain fixed blades with a good pedigree.

(23) Spyderco Bill Moran Fixed Blade! The Knife of the Day! - YouTube

(23) Bill Moran and the Forged Blade - YouTube

Last edited:
How do you feel about CPM154 and vintage micarta?
Tmlr3MR.jpg
Which knife is this? I can't read the wording on the tang.

You should mosey over to the knifemakers fs forum as there are about 3 or 4 that may peek your interest. They are all in different steel types as well. Good luck on your hunt that's the fun part. :thumbsup:

I second the Lucas Forge Jack Pine Special. Mine is a wonderful hunting knife. Also agree with the CS Ultimate Hunter as a folder backup. And the Cold Steel Master Hunter is excellent. Two others to consider are the Buck Vanguard and the Jaktkit Knv2 from Lamnia, pictiured below. It is similar to the CS Master Hunter, yet feels better in hand and has an excellent flat grind.

upload_2021-3-24_6-51-51.png

I've used a pile of hunting knives over the decades.

Finest one so far is the White River Sendero Pack knife designed by Jerry Fisk.

I'm amazed by it, really.

Another vote to check out the custom makers on this site! I've found much better value in the customs offered here than in most production knives. Although, the CS Master Hunter is definitely a good one. Probably the only production fixed blade I still use on occasion.

Back