Recommendation? Recommendations for a knife that is not made for diving but can be used while diving?

Can you explain what this means? English is not my first language so I am not familiar with proverbs.
Gotcha. Most horses don't like gunfire and will react to it sometimes faster than a guy can ride, or they'll buck ya off. Ao the saying is you can shoot once off a horse. Goodluck on the second shot if you are still on. Horse's of course can be conditioned to gunfire like hunting dogs. But you can shoot off of any horse once. You can use any knife for diving, once.

I have a folding fully serrated Victorinox paring knife. It cuts baling twine and rope better than any other knife I have. The blade is thin, of course, because it's a paring knife. The wavy serrations never snag on anything like Spyderco serrations sometimes do. The liner lock is reversed left-to-right compared with most liner locks, which I actually like. There is no pocket clip. The main problem with it is that the edge retention is poor. On the other hand, it is fairly easy to sharpen with a diamond rod or a Victorinox pocket sharpener or, I would imagine, a Sharpmaker.
You convinced me. I ordered one. I will share it when it arrives.

Gotcha. Most horses don't like gunfire and will react to it sometimes faster than a guy can ride, or they'll buck ya off. Ao the saying is you can shoot once off a horse. Goodluck on the second shot if you are still on. Horse's of course can be conditioned to gunfire like hunting dogs. But you can shoot off of any horse once. You can use any knife for diving, once.
This is very wise advice. That's why I'm looking for cheap but quality knives. Great suggestions came. I'm currently buying whatever recommendations I can find. So I thought I could compare them and share them here. Maybe it will be useful to someone else too

No experience diving, something I always wanted to do, but as mentioned a Spyderco Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter, or a Waterway would work nice I think. All are discontinued unfortunately but there may be some out there to be found.

For a folder the Spyderco Pacific Salt is a great knife.

No experience diving, something I always wanted to do, but as mentioned a Spyderco Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter, or a Waterway would work nice I think. All are discontinued unfortunately but there may be some out there to be found.

For a folder the Spyderco Pacific Salt is a great knife.
Unfortunately, it is, things are a little easier in the us, but in Europe it is both difficult to find and generally more expensive.

If prying is required, this one would do. Above the limit of 150 Dollars, however.
Since you said you do Free Diving, would you prefer a light or a heavy knife?

Ad3F3Ir.jpg

Last edited:
If prying is required, this one would do. Above the limit of 150 Dollars, however.
Since you said you do Free Diving, would you prefer a light or a heavy knife?

Ad3F3Ir.jpg
What is the name of this beautiful thing? I prefer light things because I usually carry them on the shoulder or on the arm.But I could buy a belt for a very good suggestion 😁😁

The things I would want.

Serrated or half serrated blade
Line cutter
Good scabbard/sheath release
Easy to carry.

You mentioned free diving. You will want something that you can throw in with your mask and fins, hose off and not worry about it.

I wouldn't worry about it being the most corrosion resistant, as long as it is cheap and has a serrations.

Local knife laws might need to be checked.

Although every steel has trade offs for their advantages I think I can safely say the days of garbage edge retention as a price for water resistant steels/alloys are over. Steels like, for example, Magnacut or LC200N are not going to rust anytime soon and have excellent edge retention. I would be very surprised if currently manufactured diving knives don't use the better steels.

If you are set on getting folder you now have to consider if the hardware such as the pivot pins, screws, pocket clips ect... are made of rust resistant materials or not. If not how easy are they to clean, is disassembly easy, and is it something you want to deal with. This can also apply to a fixed blade that uses non water/salt resistant hardware.

Sure you can clean and rinse your knife and keep it from rusting with good care however I depart from suggestions of common stainless steels for diving because they will rust and rust quickly especially in salt water and beach conditions. If you don't want to deal with the nonsense of extra careful cleaning and care get one the almost totally rust proof steels so you can use the extra time for better things without worrying about really quick edge loss due to rust along that thin fine edge.

Last edited:
I have read most of the post of this test and I see quite a few suggestions for folders. I guess all come from well intended suggestions but none or little experience while diving/freediving (I don't want to offend anyone).

Solving an emergency underwater (while freediving with no tanks) is pretty similar to a self defense situation. You will rely on gross motor skills and fumbling arround with a folder is asking for trouble. In my opininon, it is mandatory to be a fixed blade to avoid any extra steps (such as opening the folder).

Also, the sheath must allow to be secured in a readily accesible and non obstrusive area of your body. I, being a rigthy, carry it strapped to the inner side (between the legs) of my left calf. This allows reaching and grabbing it with my right hand easily (not so easily with the left, but doable) while at the same time avoiding tangles with the rope that I use to drag the float (mandatory by law, to avoid being run over by boats).

Some of my friends carry it on the arm, handle down (upper arm near the shoulder or forearm), but I feel that this location will make it totally unnacesible with that arm.

Calf carry allows for a bigger blade. arm, chest or belt... call for a shorter item, as it gets uncofortable quickly.

Regarding the sheath, I made a kydex one for mine (same I intend to do with the Spyderco Fishunter) so it lays flat against my body. It locks securely but a firm push lets you draw the knife. Also, there is a bungee cord lanyard loop from the lanyard hole of the knife that I tension over the lower tip of the sheath, so it makes positive tension on the knife against the seath. I haven't lost a knife since I use this setup.

The scuba tech divers are a whole different animal. I belive they carry several cutting implements. From chopped down (2"blade) Victorinox steak knives with a molded pvc sheath, to utility blade strap cutters, to trauma shears, folders... you name it. Freediving spearfishermen... don't. Fixed blade only.

Corrosion resistance is only one of the concerns for a diving knife.

Mikel

I have read most of the post of this test and I see quite a few suggestions for folders. I guess all come from well intended suggestions but none or little experience while diving/freediving (I don't want to offend anyone).

Solving an emergency underwater (while freediving with no tanks) is pretty similar to a self defense situation. You will rely on gross motor skills and fumbling arround with a folder is asking for trouble. In my opininon, it is mandatory to be a fixed blade to avoid any extra steps (such as opening the folder).

Also, the sheath must allow to be secured in a readily accesible and non obstrusive area of your body. I, being a rigthy, carry it strapped to the inner side (between the legs) of my left calf. This allows reaching and grabbing it with my right hand easily (not so easily with the left, but doable) while at the same time avoiding tangles with the rope that I use to drag the float (mandatory by law, to avoid being run over by boats).

Some of my friends carry it on the arm, handle down (upper arm near the shoulder or forearm), but I feel that this location will make it totally unnacesible with that arm.

Calf carry allows for a bigger blade. arm, chest or belt... call for a shorter item, as it gets uncofortable quickly.

Regarding the sheath, I made a kydex one for mine (same I intend to do with the Spyderco Fishunter) so it lays flat against my body. It locks securely but a firm push lets you draw the knife. Also, there is a bungee cord lanyard loop from the lanyard hole of the knife that I tension over the lower tip of the sheath, so it makes positive tension on the knife against the seath. I haven't lost a knife since I use this setup.

The scuba tech divers are a whole different animal. I belive they carry several cutting implements. From chopped down (2"blade) Victorinox steak knives with a molded pvc sheath, to utility blade strap cutters, to trauma shears, folders... you name it. Freediving spearfishermen... don't. Fixed blade only.

Corrosion resistance is only one of the concerns for a diving knife.

Mikel
Thank you for this detailed answer. Which knife has met all your needs among the ones you've carried so far?
I agree with what you said about Folders. I've already stated that I'm not specifically looking for a folder, but I know people who carry folders. I guess it's a matter of experience. I'm an amateur for this.

Back