Recommendation? Recommendations for a knife that is not made for diving but can be used while diving?

Thank you for this detailed answer. Which knife has met all your needs among the ones you've carried so far?
I agree with what you said about Folders. I've already stated that I'm not specifically looking for a folder, but I know people who carry folders. I guess it's a matter of experience. I'm an amateur for this.
I have owned several knives during the 24 years I have been spearfishing. I started with a Nemrod Delfín, which I still keep. This knife was very stainless but the steel was too soft to keep an edge and the blade/grind too thick. Then I used a Cressi Sub for a while, which was OK, but the sheath rattled a lot and I eventualy lost it (no shock cord trick). Several others went by, always from diving/spearfishing brands.

Currently I use a semi-DIY knife. I started with an skeletonized blade (not-so-stainless) that I ground the handle area to get rid of some protrussions and then slapped and contoured homemade yellow micarta scales. Then I made a kydex sheath (pankake style, so it lays flat on my calf). I had to use short stainless Chicago screws to keep it together (with a drop of threadlocker) because the brass rivets where failing. I keep an eye on it everytime I rinse it, so I veryfy the edge. I sharpen it as needed and oil it. Even though I used quality epoxy, the glue has failed, I belive due to water inflitration and tang area rust expanding. But I took them off, cleaned everything and reglued, allowing extra glue to overflow over the tang edge a bit, to allow it to seal. Is not the prettiest, but works great.

I bought a Spyderco Fishunter a couple years ago but this homemade contraption works sooo well and just does not want to die. I also need to make a decent pankake Kydex seath for it, because the provided plastic one is not suitable for calf carry.

Currently, from off the self offerings, if you can afford it, find a Spyderco Fishunter. Being a knife guy, probably any diving knife from diving companies are likely going to feel cheap, the edge will not last up to your standards. However they are not cheap. BE also aware that the tip is very very delicate. You can flex the blade easily with your bare hands. Any amount of prying will probably snap the tip right off. It is a tradeoff though, good for braining, not so good for prying... and the other way arround.

If you want something cheap that works well, despite looking funny... have a look at the BAHCO 1446 2446 FLOAT. I would buy one without hesitation and if you also want to use it to brain fish, grind a point on it. Perfect cheap diving knife, the serration will take care of any cords or netting.

If you don't want to do any DIY work, then stick to the diving/spearfishing knives. Avoid titanium and avoid thick grinds. Any current knife from a reputable spearfishing/diving equipment will work just fine. If you are worried about corrosion in any knife, you can always get a spent/worn out zinc anode from any boat shop (they will give it to you for free, it is basically scrap), shape a sliver of it and pound it between the molded handle and the blade. Make sure it contacts the blade. Corrosion free guaranteed as long as the anode is there.

There is a knife out there made by a couple different brands (Mares Snake 2.1) wich had a sacrificial zinc pommel that prevented the blade from corrosion. It is a dagger, so pretty pointy and not small knife by any means.

I hope these suggestions help you choosing your freediving knife!

Mikel

If you are worried about corrosion in any knife, you can always get a spent/worn out zinc anode from any boat shop (they will give it to you for free, it is basically scrap), shape a sliver of it and pound it between the molded handle and the blade. Make sure it contacts the blade. Corrosion free guaranteed as long as the anode is there.

There is a knife out there made by a couple different brands (Mares Snake 2.1) wich had a sacrificial zinc pommel that prevented the blade from corrosion.
What?! How come I never thought of this before? It's just as simple as that? I know my dad's camper has a sacrificial anode, and I suppose the row boat also. Hmmm... That's very interesting!

I have owned several knives during the 24 years I have been spearfishing. I started with a Nemrod Delfín, which I still keep. This knife was very stainless but the steel was too soft to keep an edge and the blade/grind too thick. Then I used a Cressi Sub for a while, which was OK, but the sheath rattled a lot and I eventualy lost it (no shock cord trick). Several others went by, always from diving/spearfishing brands.

Currently I use a semi-DIY knife. I started with an skeletonized blade (not-so-stainless) that I ground the handle area to get rid of some protrussions and then slapped and contoured homemade yellow micarta scales. Then I made a kydex sheath (pankake style, so it lays flat on my calf). I had to use short stainless Chicago screws to keep it together (with a drop of threadlocker) because the brass rivets where failing. I keep an eye on it everytime I rinse it, so I veryfy the edge. I sharpen it as needed and oil it. Even though I used quality epoxy, the glue has failed, I belive due to water inflitration and tang area rust expanding. But I took them off, cleaned everything and reglued, allowing extra glue to overflow over the tang edge a bit, to allow it to seal. Is not the prettiest, but works great.

I bought a Spyderco Fishunter a couple years ago but this homemade contraption works sooo well and just does not want to die. I also need to make a decent pankake Kydex seath for it, because the provided plastic one is not suitable for calf carry.

Currently, from off the self offerings, if you can afford it, find a Spyderco Fishunter. Being a knife guy, probably any diving knife from diving companies are likely going to feel cheap, the edge will not last up to your standards. However they are not cheap. BE also aware that the tip is very very delicate. You can flex the blade easily with your bare hands. Any amount of prying will probably snap the tip right off. It is a tradeoff though, good for braining, not so good for prying... and the other way arround.

If you want something cheap that works well, despite looking funny... have a look at the BAHCO 1446 2446 FLOAT. I would buy one without hesitation and if you also want to use it to brain fish, grind a point on it. Perfect cheap diving knife, the serration will take care of any cords or netting.

If you don't want to do any DIY work, then stick to the diving/spearfishing knives. Avoid titanium and avoid thick grinds. Any current knife from a reputable spearfishing/diving equipment will work just fine. If you are worried about corrosion in any knife, you can always get a spent/worn out zinc anode from any boat shop (they will give it to you for free, it is basically scrap), shape a sliver of it and pound it between the molded handle and the blade. Make sure it contacts the blade. Corrosion free guaranteed as long as the anode is there.

There is a knife out there made by a couple different brands (Mares Snake 2.1) wich had a sacrificial zinc pommel that prevented the blade from corrosion. It is a dagger, so pretty pointy and not small knife by any means.

I hope these suggestions help you choosing your freediving knife!

Mikel
Beyond being helpful, these are great suggestions, each full of experience. I am grateful for such a detailed answer. Using Zinc anode is the first time I've heard of this and I was very surprised. I will definitely try it. Thank you again, you have been incredibly helpful.

New update: Another knife recommended here, which I bought out of curiosity, was delivered today. It is incredibly sharp, it looks like a liner lock, but when you examine it carefully, it is actually a hybrid mechanism between spyderco compression lock and a traditional backlock. Unlike the normal liner lock mechanism, the liner goes inside the blade and there is a hook on the blade that holds the liner. Just like backlocks. I loved the knife. Of course, it is difficult to open and cannot be used while swimming, but it can be carried as a backup in the water. I loved the knife so much I'm going to buy two more. It turned out to be much larger than I expected. I leave you photos that I compared with two large folders.

IMG-20231024-135051.jpg

IMG-20231024-135102.jpg

IMG-20231024-135218.jpg

IMG-20231024-135555.jpg

Since I wanted to compare all these with a frequently used diving knife, I bought the same knife my friend used. I want to say that it is made of 420 steel. definitely a very poor quality knife for a knife guy. It's so soft, almost like mud. The case is of very poor quality. There is no locking mechanism. It is quite light, It is impossible to wear it on the shoulder with the armband that comes with it. It just fit on my forearm. The Serrations on the blade are very bad and useless.I think the purpose of this knife is just to kill fish. I don't have enough information to evaluate from this perspective, but I wouldn't take this with me as a knife.

I will share the rest as they arrive.

IMG-20231019-131836.jpg

IMG-20231019-131849.jpg

IMG-20231019-131912.jpg

IMG-20231019-131905.jpg

New update: Another knife recommended here, which I bought out of curiosity, was delivered today....
The Victorinox steak knives (like yours, but fixed blade) is one of the models that the tech scuba divers mod leaving only 2" of blade (chop off the rest) and making a nylon webbing or PVC pipe sheath. I have several at home and cut GREAT! And they are also very very cheap.

I was not aware there was a folding knife version of them. I will check them out.

Mikel

The Victorinox steak knives (like yours, but fixed blade) is one of the models that the tech scuba divers mod leaving only 2" of blade (chop off the rest) and making a nylon webbing or PVC pipe sheath. I have several at home and cut GREAT! And they are also very very cheap.

I was not aware there was a folding knife version of them. I will check them out.

Mikel
I will buy one immediately.

I was not aware of the steak knives. I will get a few.

We have about 10 of the Victorinox paring knives, including a couple serrated ones. They cost about $5 each. My wife likes to use the smooth edge paring knives as steak knives, but the edges mushroom after a couple meals cutting steak on a hard ceramic plate.

I wonder if the steak knives have a different kind of steel. The Victorinox web site says, "Created through astute ideas: The extremely hardened steel forming the robust blade of our steak knives and pizza knives tackles ever meat fiber and every crispy pizza crust.'

Hello everyone, I love freediving from time to time. Taking a knife with me makes me feel safe. I have tried various diving knives so far. My personal opinion is that diving knives are terrible knives. Their hardness is very low and their sheats are generally useless. Their steel is bad compared to their cost. Not to mention the titanium ones, I think they are definitely not knives (I'm not talking about those that are custom produced and hardened in some way). They just look like knives. At least that's what I think about them. At the end of this search, I used Gerber DeFacto as a diving knife for a long time. I had no problems with the S30v coated knife, I cleaned it regularly and there were only minor deformations on the handle. I especially loved the sheath and the simple lock on the sheath but a while ago I gifted this knife to a friend of mine, diving was a real hobby for him and he was using a Labrax brand made in China (OEM). Therefore, I thought DeFacto would benefit him more than me. But now I'm left without a knife and I'm sure you'll have a better suggestion than DeFacto. There are people among you who are experts on every subject. I would be very happy if you could give me suggestions on this matter. I do not plan to go above $150, and low price and high performance would be a reason for preference in a product that I might lose. Also, I don't want it to be a folder. Thank you to everyone who will make suggestions.
Not sure if you already found what you’re looking for, my go to diving blade (as a knife enthusiast with m390 & Elmax blades in my collection) is the Aqualung Argonaut “spartan point”. It holds a decent utility edge and is indestructible. It also came with a kydex sheath which is really unusual for a dive knife. Mine has been abused pretty badly. It still cuts paper after a few years of use. They used a “beta alloy” titanium for the blade. If you really want a steel one, I’d recommend the Eickhorn S.E.K. I have the double edge military version, but they’re all good knives. They have a glow in the dark version available from Knifecenter if that’s something you’d want to try.

Tell me that you want just any old knife when you are in 60 feet of water and you leg gets caught up in a gill net with a steel fishing leader and trip hook on it. I worked as a Diver for many years and until last year lived in Hawaii diving recreationally a few times a month and at work a few times a week. I have been tangled up in stuff on several occasions. When it is hard to see what you are doing and must get free from the tangle or die or help your buddy do the same, the last thing I need is a crappy knife, a pair of shitty shears or a plastic and razor letter opener. Obviously, you have never been in that type of situation.

Many years ago I came to the conclusion that most knives from diving equipment companies were not up to par. I also decided that I was not going to limit my spending on this type of equipment. If I could not afford to have the pretty much the best gear possible then I was not going to participate in this activity. Many sports don't really matter too much if you get a middle of the road piece of gear, but Scuba Diving is not one of them.

Here are a few of the knives I have used and abused Diving over the years.

X2-Dacor diving knife.jpg
I used a couple of the salt series of knives in Hawaii and they did pretty well. The yellow and the orange knives are H1 and the yellow and black model is LC200N, I had to sharpen them more often but the never corroded and they took a nice edge at about 18 degrees per side. Mostly I used these on the surface but they got seawater on them almost every day.

Spyderco103.jpg

New Salt LC200N.jpg

Dive with SD50c SML.jpg

I like these larger models from Mission and the US Navy / Imperial.

knives.jpg
I tried these Raptor scissors from Leatherman and they did OK on smaller stuff but had some corrosion. They kind of sucked on big rope especially the blue steel and poly material types. And they are magnitudes better than the surgical shears many Divers carry.
LeathermanRaptor1.jpg

To be quite clear, almost any fixed blade knife can be used as a dive knife. All ya gotta do is flush out the saltwater, etc. Here is a knife that I used many times as a dive knife in the Gulf of Mexico, mostly because it was the only one I could use:

PxSiwu0.jpg

Yup, it's a WWII Imperial M-4 bayonet. My father gave it to me NIB, along with a sharpening stone. He told me I could not carry/use it until I got it razor-sharp. I did exactly that but, as anyone who knows these implements can testify, it took a long-long-long time.

I still have it, and treasure it highly because it came from my father.

My first dive knife was a big Scubapro. Used it free diving in the bahamas in the early 1970s nailing grouper with a Hawaiian Sling.
ffdpix.jpg

My second knife was also a Scubapro as most of my gear was Scubapro. Jet fins and all. Did the FL Keys and Channel Islands with it.

GQ7wuD.png

My last main Dive knife was the Buckmaster 185. At this point I was diving just off NY/NJ with double 80s or single steel, wrecks with fishing linee cobwebs in 10t Viz on a really good day. Thigh mounted.
Tnq3AQ.jpg

I also had a very small Wenoka with a button lock mounted on my BC with point up. Looked like this bit in black.
w15Dlr.jpg

All this before I was ever really into knives and collecting. They were just tools/.Wonder where my Orca Edge went. And if people still use those things.

I`ll second the suggestion of a Victorinox steak knife / serrated parer - on a 60` trawler in the North Sea I had at least 3 in a nylon pouch with velcro fastening around my waist.
The handles were all drilled with lobsters and keyrings on - like these customised Opinels.

SAVERNAKE_DNA_-_OPINEL_CARBON.jpg

If you go to a restaurant supply place with a trade card you can pick 6 up for peanuts - because they`re so cheap - you`re not bothered if they go west and no need to sharpen.
Also professional dive shears are good as well because they grip the net/rope etc and cut with one hand like

Pacific Junior Shears​

Last edited:
Back