recommendations for choosing a knife with a plier

znapschatz said:
Yes, the Charge has a mini driver, but... In my world, however, there aren't too many things the bit is designed for that need screwed. I'd rather have an awl.

Me too. I would much rather have an awl.

Zwaplat said:
Also, look around more, don't focus on two or three tools yet. There is also Gerber (which I don't like, those tools look cheap to me).

Edit: and the Charge does have a mini screwdriver. You're acting like it isn't there, although you never even tried it.

personally, i don't like "the aesthetics" of gerber (i hope gerber fans won't get offended, its just a personal opinion)

in terms of the mini screwdriver, the one from vic is easy to handle. the lm seems a bit harder to handle since it needs to be attached to the plier itself. in addition, i think its really small. i wear eyeglasses by the way (that's why i need a mini driver :) )

znapschatz said:
Yes, the Charge has a mini driver, but I have yet to find something small enough for it to fit properly. It's much too tiny even for my eyeglasses. I can't imagine what field use this feature can be. Any screw that small would be better dealt with by the dedicated tools of skilled technicians, but being not a computer guy or a micro mechanic, I don't really know how these things go down. In my world, however, there aren't too many things the bit is designed for that need screwed. I'd rather have an awl.

i am actually an electronics/computer kind of guy that opens and fixes a lot of small stuff. it so happened that its only now that i am not contented with the pliers that come with my sak cybertool. there are times when i need a tough plier for a task. also, i am a do it yourself guy in the house and car :)

spyghost said:
i am actually an electronics/computer kind of guy that opens and fixes a lot of small stuff. it so happened that its only now that i am not contented with the pliers that come with my sak cybertool. there are times when i need a tough plier for a task. also, i am a do it yourself guy in the house and car :)

Well, everybody needs a full size needlenose, altho some don't know it yet.
;)

Spyghost, as a computer/electronic person, have you tried the small screwdriver on the Charge and if so, how well did it work? Tiny minds want to know.

znapschatz said:
;)

Spyghost, as a computer/electronic person, have you tried the small screwdriver on the Charge and if so, how well did it work? Tiny minds want to know.

Afaik, there are no tiny screws in a computer. I've never encountered one, to be honest. It's mostly normalsized Phillips screws, and thumbscrews are getting more and more common.

znapschatz said:
;)

the tiny screwdriver is primarily for my specs :) also, other small electronics have tiny screws in them that i find this screwdriver of use. most of these are the inside of peripherals from pc's, etc...

Zwaplat said:
Afaik, there are no tiny screws in a computer. I've never encountered one, to be honest. It's mostly normalsized Phillips screws, and thumbscrews are getting more and more common.

computer perse (outer part), none. but inside some peripherals, there are.

Currently I'm carrying around an inexpensive (actually only about $10, surprisingly) Winchester Multi-Tool. The pliers are nice and sturdy, comfortable, spring loaded, and nicely constructed. The multitool comes with a converter for a bunch of different sized hexes and screws and what not. What surprised me about this tool is the remarkably fine blade that it had. The blade is sturdy and unbeleivably sharp. All this fits in a belt-pouch, which closes with velcro that wears in about a day : / (I've yet to find it necessary to sew on a new peice of velcro, which would only take like 2 minutes).

Back