Recommendation? Recon 1 Tanto vs. Voyager Tanto

Hello everyone!

Planning on buying my first knife! It will be a hobby/self defense knife.

I am looking at XL Voyager Tanto. (Also interested in XL Recon 1 Tanto)

But also considering the "large" Voyager Tanto and Recon 1 Tanto.

Is the Recon 1 worth the additional cost, being this is my first knife.

My goal: Is to get proficient with a large blade, so I want to commit to a blade for long term.

Thank you!

Obviously, Recon has the better steel, but is that much better?

How are the ergonomics when compared together?

I have a Recon 1 tanto (non-XL) and a Voyager XL, but my Voyager has the Vaquero blade. That feels close enough to comment, because the handle is the same on the Voyager tanto AFAIK.

I find the handle texture on the Voyager great for grip but terrible for my pockets; that coupled with the massive size of it keeps it home (although I still like the knife; I don't keep any knives I dislike). The Recon 1, after I "buffed" the G10 with an old pair of jeans, is a dream to carry. It's light for its size, the steel and ergos are great, and it punches well above its price point.

The large Recon 1 and voyager are plenty big enough for my biggest jobs, and carry well. My only two xl CS knives are the Voyager and the Holdout 1. Both carry very well for their size, but they are too big for me to use comfortably.

I have the Recon XL, and all of the Voyager plain edge models except the Lg Tanto. I really like the Xl Tanto. XL makes every knife better.

I think the Recon is better in every way, except weight. If you are on a budget, or don't like coated blades then the Voyager would be the way to go.

If you want to carry the Voyager regularly you will need to lightly sand the FRN underneath the clip, or you will destroy your pocket in a few weeks. I would lightly sand the Recons, as well.

Last edited:
After watching Stiletto's YT comparison, the XL Voyager has an advantage with the rear grip. Giving more stability with snap cuts and a more secure grip to extend the length of the blade.

For now, I am going for the XL Voyager Tanto. So much value for the price!

But, I am also in the market for a XL Recon 1 Tanto!

What are the chances I would get a fake knife from Amazon?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the chances I would get a fake knife from Amazon?

Thanks everyone!
Buy from one of the knife companies that supports BF, and you won't have to wonder whether you got scr___d. You will only pay $5-$10 more, have a money-back guarantee, and peace of mind. I am done with Amazon/Walmart. I have received used/damaged/returned/cheaper model knives from Amazon/Walmart. No fakes so far (that I am aware of).

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds great, since the price of the blade is so good, I don't mind spending a lil more and supporting BF! Cheers!

Buy from one of the knife companies that supports BF, and you won't have to wonder whether you got scr___d. You will only pay $5-$10 more, have a money-back guarantee, and peace of mind. I am done with Amazon/Walmart. I have received used/damaged/returned/cheaper model knives from Amazon/Walmart. No fakes so far (that I am aware of).

There is a link to the list of dealers who have BF dealer memberships in my signature line.
Not a bum in the bunch.

How is MidwayUSA?
Midway is fine. They are all reputable, or they probably wouldn't last very long on the forum. Check them all out, and see who has the best price for what you are looking for. I have 13 knife companies in my 'favorite's list, and I check them all more frequently then I would like to admit.:(

XL Voyager tanto is a nice knife. Carries pretty well after sanding where the clip contacts. Recon 1 tanto is a better EDC.

Midway is fine. They are all reputable, or they probably wouldn't last very long on the forum. Check them all out, and see who has the best price for what you are looking for. I have 13 knife companies in my 'favorite's list, and I check them all more frequently then I would like to admit.:(
Midway , one of my favorite sources for CS knives, isn t on the list of sponsors posted above. I m surprised.

If voyager has recon 1 g10 construction, id pick it, especially in tanto.

If the Voyager had s35v steel, I would consider it equivalent to the Recon 1 in that steel. The handle material seems extremely strong. If may be slightly less strong than g10, but that s balanced by the lighter weight. But I think Griptilian handles are plenty strong. I don t remember if the Voyager has liners. I think it does.

Back