Red Wing or Chippewa boots

Alright so I'm looking for a pair of logger style boots, and was wondering if anyone here has had good or bad experiences with either company, or the specific boots.

The two models I am looking strongly at are the Red Wing 218s and the Chippewa 25411. They will be used for general landscaping and light construction.

Thanks in advance.

I oon't have any experience with Chippewa or Redwings 218s but I do have two pairs of Redwing Beckmann and those are two pair of real stout boots. Breaking them in took awhile and I did so as gingerly as possible because at least some of their boots like the Beckmann and Iron Rangers are known for taking awhile to break them in and it can be painful. Mine not so much because I took my time and did it rather slowly. I would have to do a bit more research to check out the boot your looking at but generally speaking Redwing is known for making good solid shoes and boots. Personally I have a good number of shoes and boots some of which cost much more than the Redwing Beckman I own and if I had to do it over I would still get those Beckmans as for the price those are some pretty great boots to own.

Oh, and I vaguely remember that Redwing has different levels or lines of boots and I know their top lines are made in the USA such as their Iron Ranger and Beckman, but I can't remember if that can be said or not for all of their boots. Like I said I can't remember so this may or may not be an issue.

Here's a great resource for these kinds of things:

https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwelt/

In this price range I personally would look at Carolina over the Chips.

I've had Carolina boots...they're GREAT. I've had red wing boots...also GREAT boots. But I still have a pair of Chippewa boots that are 34 yrs old...AWESOME BOOTS:thumbup:

Personally, I've had better luck with U.S.A. Made Red Wings than Chippewas. I can't comment specifically on the loggers, but in an 8" waterproof work boot, I prefer the RWs. That's just my thoughts. I'm sure others will have varying opinions.

I have 2 pairs (broken in) of Iron Rangers in Brown/Red and Roughout Tan which are tanks and as comfortable as sneakers (once broken in). I've had them for 2 years and will probably resole next year. Expensive but take care of them and they'll last a long long while. Just bought a pair of Blacksmiths in Roughout Black and started breaking them in last night. A week of wearing and they'll be just as comfortable as my other two. 875's (low) and 877/10877 (high) are the classics and shouldn't be overlooked, although those could take much longer to break in (Stiffer leather, thicker sole), but it's worth it there as well.

Most of the named boots including Danner, Thorougood, Woverine, Georgia, etc. all make great boots manufacture to their specific customer need (Work, Sport, Casual, Fashion, etc.). The most important thing is to get properly fitted for any boot. Each manufacturer has their own quirks (i.e. redwing size down and boots will form to feet in a nutshell) and to deny them and buy online before being fitted is asking for trouble. Go to a redwing store or reputable boot store and see the selection and try them all on. If you must buy online GET FITTED first. Yes you can get lucky buying online, but a $250+ pair of boots isn't worth the gamble in my eyes. YMMV.

Most of the named boots including Danner, Thorougood, Woverine, Georgia, etc. all make great boots manufacture to their specific customer need (Work, Sport, Casual, Fashion, etc.). The most important thing is to get properly fitted for any boot. Each manufacturer has their own quirks (i.e. redwing size down and boots will form to feet in a nutshell) and to deny them and buy online before being fitted is asking for trouble. Go to a redwing store or reputable boot store and see the selection and try them all on. If you must buy online GET FITTED first. Yes you can get lucky buying online, but a $250+ pair of boots isn't worth the gamble in my eyes. YMMV.

Absolutely. There are plenty of Red Wing stores in your neck of the woods, and it behooves you to visit one to pick the right style and get properly fitted.

Get the American made RWs and you'll be just fine.

Generations of timber types up here in the PNW will tell you the same.

I had both brands, albeit not logger style boots and the Redwings were very nice boots... The Chippewa's were awesome and cheaper. There is a reason why I still have two pairs of Chippewas and no redwings. That being said, you really cant go wrong with either. If money is no object, I've heard great things about Nick's customs and Whites... but you are looking at $500 or so for those. Wranglerstar on youtube has videos about them.

I've been involved in agriculture all of my life, and I've always worn Red Wings.

Until two weeks ago, when I discovered Thorogood boots. These are real, honest to God work boots that are actually comfortable. That said, I haven't had a chance to wear them out, yet, but they look promising.

Although the suggestions of some boots from the Red Wing Heritage line like the Iron Ranger or Beckman are well intended, it should be noted that these are style boots, not work boots. They MAY hold up, but if you want work boots, you need comfort and durability, not style. My world would eat those boots, and they'd leave blistered feet and a miserable farm boy behind, as well.

Those loggers you're looking at are fine boots, but they're over kill.

After looking at your requirements, I'd say to go with these:
http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/4405-red-wing-shoes/4405-red-wing-mens-8-inch-boot-brown

Or

Shop around here, they're great people, and provide competitive pricing and great customer service:
http://www.midwestboots.com

I'd be lying if I said I need the logger style of boot, I mean hell, I could get away with normal 6" boots for what I do. But it's like I don't need a $300 Benchmade, but I have one anyway just because I want one. As one user mentioned I should I look at White's or Nick's, I'd love a pair, but a starting price of 450 is too high for me right now. Within the next week I am going to a local RW store, and a Chippewa one as well. I'll report back when I get a pair or if I remember to check the forum, which ever comes first. I used to have a pair of the RW Beckmans, but found they were more of a style boot rather than work oriented.

I have the Chippewa loggers and they are really nice. I have the insulated steel toe version. I recommend them, but I've never had redwings. I will say that I do lots of landscaping and other outdoor work and my favorite and most comfortable boots are Keen hiking boots. They keep my feet more comfortable for longer periods of time. However, they are not as tough or supportive for extended digging with a spade shovel. The keens can handle it but not as well. Also, for really thick or deep mud the Chippewas are better. With this being said I still choose the Keens 95% of the time.

While not a true logger boot (I would not wear or recommend logger boots unless they are absolutely necessary!) I've had a pair of Redwing 2408 that were so tough and comfortable I added a pair of 2406 to them. I generally blow out a pair of work boots yearly and I've gotten 2+ out of each and going strong.
They aren't a direct comparison to what your are looking at but the Redwing quality is as good as ever.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

I've worn both working in the tree industry and I've climbed in both and had great experiences with both. I found I had to replace both yearly. I think both are quality brands and you can't go wrong with either but I'm sure there are other good options out there as well.

you are looking for work boots and for red wing, that's the various "supersole" lines with various specs like water proofing, toe protection, puncture resistance, electrical resistance, wear resistances, etc. the beckmans and the iron rangers are the heritage traditional lines that no sensible person will use for work (anything from mining 1 mile below the surface to light pruning work in your front garden.)

for the work boot line, will recommend any boot with the aztec supersole (607, 606, 2406, 3504, 3507)

I've had both, (not in the logger style) & the red wings were far superior. The qc on the chipps was horrible. One boot was taller than the other. My redwings fit like gloves. And I second the comment about not wearing loggers unless you need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say Chippewa any day. I've tried Red Wing (USA made) loggers and Irish Setter (not USA made) boots, and they were alright. I also have Chippewa super loggers and the model that is basically the same, but without the logger sole and they have been fantastic. A lot of people really love RW's, so there has to be something said for that. But in my personal experience, I think Chip's are better quality.

Back