rehandling a WWII

Pretty straight forward Eric and pretty nice work too.

Maybe I should see if I can find a bent handle somewhere to try out first.
The do look cool to me but for some reason they don't look comfy.
Like I say though, having never used one like it, it is pretty hard for me to make an actual ruling on the matter. :)

did you guys use heat to bend the tang or is it so soft you can bend it in a vise w/out snapping it off?

Hi Warty, before deciding on the shape, i made cardboard mock ups first to make sure it felt comfy to hold. For me, it makes snap cuts a little easier on the wrist since i don't have to bend it as much before the blade hits the target.

Boerboel84, I tried re heat treating a few non-HI and 1 HI khuks with more disastrous results than good, so i stopped that. This WW2 is very special to me since it was UB that picked it as a replacement for another with a twisted blade. He made sure the blade was perfectly shaped and heat treated.

SkaerE, I deffinitely used heat to bend the tangs. Tried to do it without heat treating and didn't get anywhere and didn't want to risk snapping it.

Cheers
Eric

Hi Warty, before deciding on the shape, i made cardboard mock ups first to make sure it felt comfy to hold....
Cheers
Eric

*DOH* Of course! :eek: At times the ole brain pan isn't completely full of oil so it get overheated and stops working. :)
That would be the easiest way to try one out and see if I like the feel of them.
I can say that of all my khukuris, the ASTK just feels the best to me when chopping...
main.php
If you consider the look of it, while the handle itself doesn't have a bend, the rest of it has one of the more radical ones of all my khuks. It is by far the easiest to control chopping, I chop the same way by giving a wrist snap and letting the weight of the blade do most of the actual work. The shape of the ASTK therefore really seems to lend itself to this method plus the radical bend makes it easier to control when chopping too. Therefore, all things considered logically, it wold seem to me a bent handle is something I should really be giving more consideration... :cool:

You know, I've always thought that about your ASTK, warty -- that it is definitely more curved than any other ASTKs I've seen. It seems like there is a pronounced curve from the bend on the spine all the way to the bottom of the handle. I know all khuks have individual variances, but your curved ASTK really stands out to me. I wonder if the uniqueness of your blade would cause you to find a significant comfort difference with other ASTKs.

dunno?

I wish someone else with one lived nearby so some comparisons could be done. I wonder if there would be any sort of reasonable response if I started a threads asking if folks would not only post pix of their ASTK's but maybe be willing also to post the stats of them including the angle of the bend and the distance from handle to the beginning of the bend's break?

Well, I suppose until I try, I won't know bu I'm no holding my breath. I smoke so for me I can't hold it long anyway. :D LOL

Hah! I'll post the two I have. I'm not sure exactly how to measure angles, but if you want to give me pointers I think I can handle. But just by informally comparing pics of most other ASTKs with yours, I'd say yours is more aggressively curved forward.

all it takes is a protractor, you know, one of those half moon dealios with the degrees marked on it?
Cool beans them Mr. Chiruwa. :D I'll dig mine out for a fresh picture and find my protractor and measure it all up.

The handle will be looking pretty sad right now as I am in the process of washing all the rouge out of it per Ddean's instructions.
I posted those on the first page, doing the new Chit and my Satisal Tamang as well and it is working pretty well too.
It is a lot of work but it isn't raising the grain of the wood any s the sanding I will have to do is minimal.
That is the big thing for me since all of the handles in question can't afford to become much smaller, for me at least.
After I am finished doing them, of course another "How To" will be forthcoming. ;)

Sounds good! I've never even bothered to really treat my handles after getting them straight from H.I. -- I might have to look into doing that for a weekend project. I always need more excuses to spend time drinking beer in my garage on Saturday mornings! :D

I'm trying to debate what lines we're measuring here, friend-o. Maybe running an imaginary line directly in the middle of the handle from the buttcap to the bolster, then to the bolster to the tip of the blade?

tell you what, when I finish doing this stuff, I will do draw up the "How To" i used so we are all on the same page. :)
This way, we will both be making the same mistakes. LOL!

tell you what... maybe this is better to do via email, drop me one if you're game and later on I will do mine and show how I did my measurements (if I can find the stupid protractor). Then you can do yours the same way at your leisure and send the pix and results in a reply. Up to you... either way I will need some time to find or buy a protractor (they cost like 50¢ or less) so I can actually pull this thing off. ;)

Will do -- we'll add yet another dimensional measurement to agonize and drool over when we come to the forum to talk khuk (on top of OAL, blade length, handle length, handle width, bevel width, weight, bell width, etc, etc)!

Back