Review REK Quarantine - “The Bad Boy”. The Q.2 ;)

Sharp & Fiery

Leatherworks, Kydex/Holstex/Boltaron, Mods -Canada
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Well folks, I’m back with another review on a new large fixed blade. (This is a one-off compound grind with liners, not the original offering, which is just as darn sexy.)

REK does it again with the Quarantine or as @Fullflat dubbed it...the “Q.” This is a big knife. Not a long blade, but a huge knife. I can’t sugar coat this for you...I was super hesitant to purchase this blade, as I was not quite sure I was on board with the design. However, I took the plunge, and super stoked I did. This is the first part of the review “The Intital Impression.” Enjoy.

REK Quarantine.

7ABF8A70-C1B2-4827-82EF-A5C5E60998DD.jpeg

Lets start with the size. When I first opened the box and saw the Quarantine I thought, “Woah, this is a big knife.” Enter skepticism...then I picked it up. The balance on the “Q” is amazing. It takes this large, wide blade and makes it feel like you are holding a smaller nimble knife in your hand. It is easy to spin this knife in your hand from regular grip to reverse grip without feeling like you are going to drop it. It is neither blade heavy nor handle heavy in hand. This blade, balance-wise, is very, very well thought out.
My particular Quarantine has a beautiful compound grind. I generally stay away from compound grinds, but opted for more “meat” on the tip, as I have planned to use this hard. The tip is flat ground and the main grind is hollow. This knife is full tang and the blade is CPM Cruwear. It is shaving sharp outta the box, and the grind is superb. The grinds are perfectly symmetrical on both sides to my eye, and this is coming from an OCD perfectionist. Haha. Trust me, I checked. I’m going to stop right here, as a lot of you know, I’m a huge fan of Josh’s grinds, and could ramble on for hours. I’ll let these photo’s show the lines. :)
2FC5495E-8293-45EE-8688-439BD4DC6ECC.jpeg
84D7D7B2-FEAB-4076-8FEF-3FF55A4AE756.jpeg C0304F9F-4211-4F53-91FA-1225855475EF.jpeg

Let’s talk ergonomics.
Something I don’t see a lot of thought put into these days is the ergonomics of the knife. (Mind you, there are a few makers who focus on this and nail it.) REK nailed it on this one. Actually, really nailed it. I haven’t been this impressed in a while.
The “Q’s” scales are sculpted OD green micarta and your hand just grabs on to this and takes a deep breath and tries not to wet itself with excitement. It is that comfortable. The thumb ramp is in the perfect place with the perfect angle for comfort. Whether I choke up or use the knife in regular grip, the thumb ramp feels excellent. The jimping is not too aggressive that it tears up your thumb, but is subdued enough to actually still work. The ramp makes tip control on this large knife feel possible, and it is.
Lets get back to the sculpted scales. When I first saw the drawing for the scale “dips”, I thought, “well this is interesting.” I was curious to whether there would be “hotspots,” which I despise. So far no hot spots, just full, comfortable purchase. This is a knife you can really bare down on! As I put the knife to work, I will come back with an update to the comfort of these scales, whether its a yes or no.
723EBE46-D46D-43B9-B4FF-A84FC222BC25.jpeg

One thing that I am extremely impressed with, is the tolerances on every REK knife I’ve had the pleasure of examining. Josh does strive for perfection, and I couldn’t be more impressed.
The scales and liners are perfectly mated to the tang. The finish is superb, and there are no sharp corners. Just astounding.
The spine is also crowned, which I personally appreciate.
The REK logo is dang crisp, as well as the “CRUWEAR” logo, which is beautifully placed on the spine of the knife. Even with the two logo’s, this is a very clean looking blade.
976BE5C7-F154-4F79-AB08-1DB6549450CD.jpeg 424ADC4A-62DE-489F-AADB-017813744C3E.jpeg 553D1C32-BBAB-4AA5-8258-DC39FB0DE85A.jpeg

I want to mention that the Quarantine has a lanyard/fob hole. I love ‘em, and this one works. :) Obviously. Haha.

On to use-ability...
This blade is thick...very. It comes in just under 1/4” thick. I am expecting it to be strong. Time will tell. Im going to go ahead and say that this is a heavy duty, hard working bushcraft type knife. It will handle battoning, swinging and chopping. The tip has “meat”, but most likely will puncture well. It could be used in a pinch for field dressing game, with its hollow grind and sharp edge, but I don’t think I would want to rely on it.
Splitting the tip of a good sturdy stick and placing the knife handle between, with both sides of said cut laying in the scale scallops and lashed would make an excellent spear in a pinch.
In the future, I would not be opposed to seeing this released with a slightly thinner blade stock, as it would slice well.

The Quarantine comes with a very tight fitting kydex sheath. This is a bonus for me as I invert carry my bush knives. It releases the knife with a tug and a satisfying snap. The sheath also is set up for cord or fits the large tek-lock.

Quarantine specifications:

Blade: CPM CRUWEAR @ 63HRC
Blade grind: Compound -Full flat tip & hollow main
Blade thickness: .224” so just under 1/4”
Blade Length: 4 3/4”
Cutting edge length: 4 1/2”
Handle length: 5 1/4”
Overall length: 10”
Handle material: Ergo sculpted OD Green Micarta with Orange Liners
Sheath: Tight fit Kydex with fastening holes

07DC2AEB-6D7C-420E-8428-151A1D3B1F1E.jpeg
E4E4B41B-3135-4C14-980A-A60BED6018B6.jpeg

With all the scepticism in my brain of what this knife would or would not be, I was blown away. Having this “in hand,” and feeling all the thought that went into the Quarantine was worth the purchase.

If you are searching for a hard use, heavy duty knife, the ergonomic beauty and excellent grind of the Quarantine is a great contender to consider.

*disclaimer: I do know Josh personally, but I am alway honest with my reviews. So far REK’s two fixed blade releases are astounding and well executed. If Josh ever releases something subpar, I would be surprised! Haha. Thank you all!

REK Knives REK Knives

*This Quarantine is a one-off compound grind. The Quarantine’s original offering comes with a regular grind or a performance grind. Josh, please feel free to post a photo in the comments of the other grinds. :)

Last edited:
So this past weekend my brother and I had a successful first waterfowl hunt. Then an unsuccessful fishing morning, and an unsuccessful hunt...great times, but, when you are feeling like you got outsmarted and defeated, its time to get something accomplished. It was time to blaze the trail through the untouched bush that I marked out a couple weeks earlier. We hauled butt and got 1 km of trails done in 14 hrs. :)
I had the Quarantine with me and a couple others, and the Quarantine did its job superbly. I really really love the reinforced tip on mine. I put it through some prying I normally wouldnt do with a fixed this size, and it held up perfectly.
From some light chopping, to whittling and prying some roots...it still looks really good. Few scratches...er...memory marks, and some guck on the blade, but all cleaned off now and ready for the next adventure.

Here are a couple photos for ya’ll.
375CA1DD-522F-49B5-8074-277BB12A354B.jpeg

68D40503-DF8D-4D1F-BF47-44BAA09341C9.jpeg

9B86CAA9-CDA1-4C47-97E1-DDCACB872B71.jpeg

43848172-E715-4B4A-9B65-24AF30B77BB7.jpeg

Last edited:
What a great design and beautiful looking blade. Josh.....you have outdone yourself again! I love seeing these review and watching where you started many years and ago, and seeing what you have become!! Keep up the great work. I will snag one of your custom blades sooner than later!

Drooling my face off over here!! Gorgeous grinds and my all time favorite green canvas scales!!! Now I'm wondering if he'll do one in Damasteel for me. Uh oh!
Enjoy that sucka! Can't wait to see it all sweaty!!

James

Drooling my face off over here!! Gorgeous grinds and my all time favorite green canvas scales!!! Now I'm wondering if he'll do one in Damasteel for me. Uh oh!
Enjoy that sucka! Can't wait to see it all sweaty!!

James

Oh man...damasteel at almost a 1/4” thick and 10” long....cha-ching!! Haha.
Would be beautiful for sure. No doubt.

My first reaction when I unpacked mine was an expletive - not one of displeasure, mind you...just the reality that it IS a big knife in a medium package. At the time, I noted that it was too big to become an EDC; but I have carried it quite frequently since that day. I usually pair mine with my G3...but I don't necessary choose between them based on the size of the job.
View attachment 1406481

My first reaction when I unpacked mine was an expletive - not one of displeasure, mind you...just the reality that it IS a big knife in a medium package. At the time, I noted that it was too big to become an EDC; but I have carried it quite frequently since that day. I usually pair mine with my G3...but I don't necessary choose between them based on the size of the job.
View attachment 1406481

Out of interests sake, mine, haha, do you find the Quarantine handles well, like a nimble smaller blade?

Welllllllllll, how about it handles better than its size would suggest, lol. It is comfortable in hand, and I'm quite impressed with it as a user. As I said, I don't necessarily grab either knife based on the size of the job - meaning I will often grab the Quarantine, even for small stuff; especially if I'm wearing the G3 crossdraw on my left (I always have to THINK about that, and it will probably always feel unnatural) - but, certain tasks are simply better suited to a smaller blade. That isn't to say I won't use the Q for them...but, if I do, it's usually for my own amusement.
Admittedly, I'm not sure that I've done much of anything "choked up" utilizing the Q's finger choil. Now I have some experimentation with which to distract myself from things that need doing :D

Welllllllllll, how about it handles better than its size would suggest, lol. It is comfortable in hand, and I'm quite impressed with it as a user. As I said, I don't necessarily grab either knife based on the size of the job - meaning I will often grab the Quarantine, even for small stuff; especially if I'm wearing the G3 crossdraw on my left (I always have to THINK about that, and it will probably always feel unnatural) - but, certain tasks are simply better suited to a smaller blade. That isn't to say I won't use the Q for them...but, if I do, it's usually for my own amusement.
Admittedly, I'm not sure that I've done much of anything "choked up" utilizing the Q's finger choil. Now I have some experimentation with which to distract myself from things that need doing :D

I 100% agree. It doesn’t act like a small knife, and there are small knives for those particular “small knife” chores. I just feel like it doesnt have a “big knife” feel to it. :D
Thanks for the answer. :)

I need to continue testing w/ mine... putting it through paces on stuff that would make you cringe. Always seems to be a lack of time these days!

Post #2 updated.

Back