REMEMBER and HONOR

KQiWsOQ.jpg
Today is the day we Americans honor the brave men and woman who gave the ultimate sacrifice for this country so whether you stand on the Right, Left, or some place in the middle let's put our political differences aside and HONOR the ones who made it possible to do so. Have a great Memorial Day everyone and REMEMBER to NEVER FORGET

Thank you to those you who serve and have served! I am grateful for your sacrifice! May the heroes who never made it home always be remembered in the hearts and minds of their loved ones and rest in peace!

James

I always struggle to say “Happy” Memorial Day - because it’s really a somber moment - kinda like saying “Happy” 9/11 Patriot Day -

but not to get too semantic..

Thank You to our veterans and God Bless...we Honor your ultimate sacrifice

View attachment 1346793
I fully agree Ron. "Happy Memorial Day" Does sound a bit wrong for such a somber day but think of it like this, When I attend services at the war memorial that my father a Korean war veteran worked so long and hard with his fellow veterans to build and look around at the faces of veterans and widows of veterans it makes me Proud, Happy, and sad at the same time to see service men and citizens alike showing their appreciation for the fallen.

I am happy that there is a Memorial Day, and that folks like you appreciate the meaning and pay respect to the fallen.

I haven't been "happy" on Memorial Day for 15 years. Lost my son and 3 others that night in Iraq. I hate rocket-propelled grenades.

karl_linn56.jpg
100087903_909214479540886_7519622003033112576_n.jpg

I am happy that there is a Memorial Day, and that folks like you appreciate the meaning and pay respect to the fallen.

I haven't been "happy" on Memorial Day for 15 years. Lost my son and 3 others that night in Iraq. I hate rocket-propelled grenades.

karl_linn56.jpg

Pop we are beefin’ and drinkin’ and prayin’ to your boy right now!!!

God Bless you, your family and the United States Marines!!

Your boy is not forgotten USMCPOP.

As always I will remember a kid in my squad killed in 2004 in Mosul - Sgt. Jacob H. Demand. I'll do the usual - go out for a run tonight remembering how when I started to fall out during a battalion run (while going through cancer treatment) he was 1 of the guys saying "Don't fall out Doc, run with us."
SgtDemandGrave.jpg

I've also been thinking about my Aunt Sara who was in the Women's Army Corp during WW2. As a kid she was a very stern & intimidating woman. I always got the feeling she didn't like me. It wasn't till after I joined the Army that I understood her. Sadly I only got to talk with her a few times after that as she passed away from cancer a few years later. I at least got to share a few Army stories with her & see her smile.

Till we form again.

Pop we are beefin’ and drinkin’ and prayin’ to your boy right now!!!

God Bless you, your family and the United States Marines!!

Great! Raise a toast to the boy. He was known to take a wee nip every now and again though he was underage. I'm sitting here with a beer and remembering funny things he did as a little kid. Like putting a sandwich in the VCR player. Or telling me I was brain-dead when he was 5. He was pretty laid-back. "Let them eat grapes" ...
karl_linn45.jpg

One think I think about is that each and every one of our fallen was unique, and had a story to tell. During the first 3 or 4 years of our loss, I got connected with perhaps 100 families who were in the same boat. I got to know them and felt that I knew their child through the shared stories. We cried and laughed together, stood up, dusted each other off and continued with our new life. I can walk through Section 60 at Arlington National Cemetery and spot at least a dozen or two headstones of guys that I feel I know, via their parents.

Anyway, I can be suitably grim at the drop of a hat and have a good 1,000 yard stare. And I can still laugh. Life goes on.

Your boy is not forgotten USMCPOP.

As always I will remember a kid in my squad killed in 2004 in Mosul - Sgt. Jacob H. Demand. I'll do the usual - go out for a run tonight remembering how when I started to fall out during a battalion run (while going through cancer treatment) he was 1 of the guys saying "Don't fall out Doc, run with us."
View attachment 1347069

I've also been thinking about my Aunt Sara who was in the Women's Army Corp during WW2. As a kid she was a very stern & intimidating woman. I always got the feeling she didn't like me. It wasn't till after I joined the Army that I understood her. Sadly I only got to talk with her a few times after that as she passed away from cancer a few years later. I at least got to share a few Army stories with her & see her smile.

Till we form again.

Sgt. Jacob H. Demand was killed right about the time my son deployed for final training. Karl had a former college roommate who was in Mosul around the same time, who was close to that mess hall bombing. That was when the whole mess with Fallujah was going on and Al Anbar province was a magnet for terrorists from all over. Bad neighborhood.

karl_linn56.jpg
Thank you USMCPOP for sharing those personal pictures with us. Your son looks like a truly proud Marine and i'm sure this day is especially hard for you and like I hold told you last time we spoke as long i'm still breathing I will do all that I can to help people remember the sacrifices your son and so many others made for our freedom. God Bless

Back