REMEMBER and HONOR

Honoring, Respecting, and Remembering All Who Have Served Our Country !!

I am happy that there is a Memorial Day, and that folks like you appreciate the meaning and pay respect to the fallen.
I haven't been "happy" on Memorial Day for 15 years. Lost my son and 3 others that night in Iraq. I hate rocket-propelled grenades.

karl_linn56.jpg
100087903_909214479540886_7519622003033112576_n.jpg
-Also extending my condolences to you @USMCPOP...
-I laughed out loud when you said he put a sandwich in the v.c.r.
B.T.B.

It's not a happy day. Not sure how to call it buy happy is NOT it.

I made it home, many others did not and of those that made it back I have lost many at their own hand or from cancer.

It's not a happy day. Not sure how to call it buy happy is NOT it.

I made it home, many others did not and of those that made it back I have lost many at their own hand or from cancer.
Let me start by saying Thank you for your service sir. When I was in my late teens my farther started opening up to me and explaining why he had night terrors and his deep feelings of guilt for "Making it home" He said he made some promises over there "Korea" to some dying buddies that they would Never be forgotten so when life slowed down for him and he had the time he needed he joined the local chapter of the Marine corps league and organized the other former Marines and rounded up more than enough money to revamp the towns veterans memorial with landscaping and two new monuments, one for the Marines and more fitting Vietnam War memorial to replace the tiny placard they had before. Soon after the Park was finished and officially dedicated he started raising moneys for the Fisher House project in West Roxbury Ma. that houses the military families while their loved ones received treatment at the VA hospital. In time his night terrors slowed and his feelings of guilt faded somewhat but never fully disappeared something I never understood but how could I or anyone who hasn't been threw that but what I do understand is that for him taking something negative and turning it into something positive enriched his life greatly and helped him find peace. ohen cepel I hope and pray that you find your peace in whatever way you see fit whether it be collecting knives, fishing/Hunting, or speaking with other veterans groups. Your mission is complete and thanks again for a job well done sir.

Your boy is not forgotten USMCPOP.

As always I will remember a kid in my squad killed in 2004 in Mosul - Sgt. Jacob H. Demand. I'll do the usual - go out for a run tonight remembering how when I started to fall out during a battalion run (while going through cancer treatment) he was 1 of the guys saying "Don't fall out Doc, run with us."
View attachment 1347069

I've also been thinking about my Aunt Sara who was in the Women's Army Corp during WW2. As a kid she was a very stern & intimidating woman. I always got the feeling she didn't like me. It wasn't till after I joined the Army that I understood her. Sadly I only got to talk with her a few times after that as she passed away from cancer a few years later. I at least got to share a few Army stories with her & see her smile.

Till we form again.
Halfneck Thank you for sharing that with us. sgt. Demand and your aunt sound like outstanding people and I'm glad you chose to remember them here today. I'm also glad to hear that you use night running as a kind of stress release. After my dad passed away and when my wife was battling a brain tumor I used mountain bike night riding to help me meditate. Thank you for your service sir, enjoy your run tonight, and I will send up a prayer for sgt. Jacob H. Demand and your Aunt Sara on my ride tonight.

I wanted to make it a point to follow back up with this thread & read each & every post.

It was deeply touching & powerful, reading the heartbreaking stories posted here. Prayers for the fallen, that they may Rest In Peace, & may the surviving veteran's, and the family member's of the fallen, find peace.

Everyday, should be Memorial Day, here in America...land of the Free.

231039_1788754318787_7509842_n.jpg

Back