Remington Prospector 2021 Baby Bullet Discussion and Picture Thread

I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one. They are well built knives and are very capable heavy-duty work knives. They are heavy knives so, suspenders may be called for. Actually, I haven't completely made my mind up about getting one of these. Kinda doubt it - I have one of the 1983 replica versions made by Camillus so just because this one is made by GEC doesn't make it all that appealing to me.

Great looking knives. They are pricey, possibly GEC up charged to produce them and that cost is being passed on. But I imagine they’ll be like the 97s, be available for a while, eventually selling out, than becoming more desirable. But I don’t think you’ll see any discount in price.

This pattern is a large knife, not too pocket friendly. It'd be neat if in the future someone did a comparisonn foto shoot with the original real Remington.

For anyone interested, here's an excerpt from a magazine back in 1983 when Remington was advertising their new replica 1920's Model R1173 "Baby Bullet" knife. This is the same Remington knife that GEC is relicating today. The procurer for the SFO by GEC however, has used R7352 as the Model number for their knife and renamed it "Prospector".

1629594127619.png

Last edited:
Mine should be here Monday and meet it's brother by another mother;)
xlysXCc.jpg

The 1173 Baby Bullet was never a big knife compared to many and is fairly easy to carry in your pocket. The Camillus version was a bit smaller than the GEC 73 pattern that the Prospector is built on. Neither one are really what I would call large.
U2pz9T0.jpg

The larger 1123/1128 was the big knife. This is the one that you needed suspenders for....
Zx2sNPt.jpg

A Arathol - The original Remington R1173 and the 1983 reproduction R1173 were 3 1/2" closed while the frame that GEC uses for this reproduction is 3 3/4" . They aren't too heavy but they are heavy for a knife their size so, I said suspenders might be in order.:)
I received mine in and I agree it’s heftier than anticipated. I said to myself “Baby? There isn’t anything baby about this”. It fills the hand and feels capable of some heavy work.

My 2 GEC Remingtons showed up, lucked out and got 1 light bone and 1 dark bone. Bone dye color is spot on to color Remington used. Bone jigging is some of GEC's better stuff, if you had to fault it the jigging is more old Schrade than Remington. Pulls, snap, all excellent, they are typical GEC high quality.IMG_4408.jpegIMG_4409.jpegIMG_4412.jpeg

Can't wait to open mine when I get home. Are the going to be users or collectors for you guys?

I usually go through a feeling out process with my new knives. The size is perfect on these for me but, as stated a few times in this thread, it is quite a pocket full weight wise. This frame in a single blade would be a definite yes. Think I'm pretty much 50/50 on collector's and users

The Prospect has at least answered the age-old paradox presented by Will Smith in his grammy-winning song, Getting Jiggy Wit It.

Back