How To Remove advert on blade?

Greetings,

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to remove adverts from a blade and what would be the easiest method?
I don''t have this in hand but if I ever purchased a used item like this I would want to remove the writing.

Thank you!

buck_ad.jpg

How effective would these options be? Quickest easiest?

1) Dremel wire brush

2) Jeweler's bench buffing wheel with compound(s)

How effective would these options be? Quickest easiest?

1) Dremel wire brush

2) Jeweler's bench buffing wheel with compound(s)
I would use something in between those two methods. You can try buffing, but it would be slow and the wire wheel sounds kind of gnarly to me. I would wet sand by hand.

marcinek:

I passed on the one with the advert on the blade and purchased one that is just scratched with some heavy scratches.

So on that one ...

I'm going to try wet/dry paper progressing in grits, starting maybe at 180, not sure yet, and them up to at least 400 and maybe more as I watch the scratch pattern getting more fine, until I'm happy with it.

I forgot that I did try the Dremel wire brush on a rusty Case Sodbuster blade and it was very very slow to remove rust.
On that one I switched to sand paper but not wet/dry. It came out ok/acceptable, but I'll be revisiting that one eventually to see if I can clean it up a bit more.

Last edited:
But now I want to know if those methods will work on those ads

Yea, I agree, it would be good to know. Also how those ads are put on or into the metal.
I suspect our friends that suggest the wet sanding have done it before and know.

If the printing was acid etched you will have to do some scrubbing. You may never get it completely removed. I use a Dremel with a 3M abrasive wheel in different grits.

Try an adblocker. ;)

To each their own, but I don't think it's that big a deal to have the writing on the blade, especially if it's being used.

Maybe you could coat the blade to cover it up

And some of it depends on how you want it to look afterwards. My thoughts are, the wire wheel is out! the Dremel sanding wheels will do the job but may leave uneven fine scratches on the blade, which I assume going to a finer wheel will make it less noticeable . Then do the whole blade to smooth it out. The wet sanding would come in when you want to get an even grain from end to end to give it more of a factory look.
In the end, its how much time you want to put into it.

Back