Respect for this forum.

you see, this is why i need you guys :thumbup: trying to forge my first damascus billet, I knocked my front tooth out... $6000 later, I can't afford to learn everything the hard way

Actually I was referring to Bmk didn't realize the other a$$hat was from tx too, y'all don't kick me out lol

I thought Rick was "Bert the Conqueror" for a minute there:)

Oh my god, how?

billet (almost shaped to a decent representation of a bowie blade, mind you) was starting to cool a little too much, but I though ah hell, i'll give it a few more tap, and just hit a bit harder before putting it back in the forge, then it slipped out of the tongs and spun right up into my grill... never even saw it coming. had on eye protection, but never even considered my teeth ...then it hit me (so to speak) and that's where I learned the true meaning of the phrase "strike when the iron's hot" comes from. thank god my job had good dental.

billet (almost shaped to a decent representation of a bowie blade, mind you) was starting to cool a little too much, but I though ah hell, i'll give it a few more tap, and just hit a bit harder before putting it back in the forge, then it slipped out of the tongs and spun right up into my grill... never even saw it coming. had on eye protection, but never even considered my teeth ...then it hit me (so to speak) and that's where I learned the true meaning of the phrase "strike when the iron's hot" comes from. thank god my job had good dental.

Wow.. Every so often I forget this is a dangerous hobby, or forget to give it the proper respect.. then you hear something like that. I'm glad your insurance is good.. hope all is well now!

sure is! pure ceramic (probably an old toilet) implant... never looked better. and yup, it can be dangerous for sure. I started tinkering with this at an early age and can't remember how many fingertips i've cut or half ground off at first trying to shape blades with my dads old belt sander.

I had a thought that might shed some light here.

Maybe it’s not so much just repetitive questions asked by newbies that can be irritating, but more that they keep asking questions on the same old “tabu” subjects and or bringing up tabu topics, many of which more experienced knife makers have already dealt with in one way or another,… but don’t like to discuss.

Should there be tabus?… or should any type of question on any possible aspect of knife making be fair play?

I don’t think it’s fair to label folks who ask those types of questions as “trolls“. Although, some maybe just trying to stir things up, I think the majority are just curious and are looking for some answers that aren’t found in most of the text books and literature,… or at least haven‘t been explained to their satisfaction yet.

You raise a good point Tai.. there is a LOT of misinformation out there about knives and knifemaking.. I think we're probably all guilty of having misconceptions before we started to learn facts, and the only way to learn is to read or ask, especially in the early days. Heck I loved knives all my life and had a bunch of them as a kid, and a couple I thought were "awesome" knives as I got older, but even then I still though there was "carbon" and "stainless" steel.. and that was it.. little did I know how wrong I was until I started learning about it.

What I'm thinking, is maybe a list of "sensitive" topics for newbies to avoid, and some links to locked threads where they've already been discussed... seriously. :)

... We don't want the old timers fighting over the newbies.

What I'm thinking, is maybe a list of "sensitive" topics for newbies to avoid, and some links to locked threads where they've already been discussed... seriously. :)

I was thinking a sticky of "knifemaking myths dispelled" or something, but I haven't searched yet to see if that might already exist. I'm sure they've each been covered in posts individually, but I don't know if perhaps anyone has brought them all together.

Edited: There is one in the newbie info section: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/531317-Knifemaking-fact-and-fiction.... which we could probably expand.

It's a bit chicken-or-the-egg, nip the problem in the butt with information people might not read, or address the secondary problem of discussing those problem topics.

Last edited:

Yeah, most of the time it's US that create the problems by hashing out the same endless discussions.... the new folks often stumble blindly into the wasps next.

Back