Respect for this forum.

One other thought to add to the fray. At one point I (and a few others) were chastised for answering newbie questions because there were more experienced people around who could provide more definitive answers. True enough, and that statement would apply to 99% of the participants of this forum. There can only be one person who is the absolute best at something... everyone else is, by definition, less experienced. Does that mean only 1 person is really qualified to answer any newbie question? Of course not.

So perhaps we ought to consider lightening up on the assumption that only the most definitive answer will do, and let people help with processing the newbies if they choose to do so. Sure, that will means some people will get bad advice, but it might also mean the people who dispense bad advice will get educated too. If we try to make this forum a place where only the best can answer, the best will get burned out pretty quickly. We need to be mentoring people to address the questions, and letting the more experienced folks guide at the higher levels.

- Greg

That's absolutely true. Newer (but knowledgeable) folks can answer the newbie questions just fine. I actually feel that's part of paying your dues.

...and my contribution to this forum today will be to not post in this thread again, perhaps it will fall off the first page...

Fixed it for ya Mr. Goooooooooooooo.

You are good, very good. Give us some solid, fact-based information (as your experience has proven), and we will be happy campers.

Robert (who is too darned old to learn much of anything new)

Fact:
The correct Chinese pronunciation is “Go”. :)

(Which is what I think I'm going to do...)

Last edited:
The very fact that such a seemingly innocuous thread could generate so much feedback, is a strong testament to these Forums being so valuable. Being a "Seasoned Newbie" of 5 years or so, I would have to say that this is my primary source of information toward my knife making endeavors. The information is relevant, timely, and literally just a click away. And while that information is virtually instantaneous, it may not be the information that I agree with and or utilize.

That being said, I have learned to do my research!!! If there is something I want to try my hand at, I do a forums search. If if am satisfied with the search results, I'll probably try to replicate the procedure. However, should my search be unsatisfactory to my notion on the practical application, I'll likely either start a new thread on the topic or contact another forum member/members and get their valuable input. This approach of research and application usually generates only more questions....but, all the while, I'm gaining experience of what works and what's not working. I have had greenhorns give me the most suitable advice, for me and my notions, but that scenario is rare. Usually, the best information comes from the established fellows. They've typically worked out all the bugs. But, they also could learn from some of the newer folks as well, right? Has anyone really achieved Excalibur?

Oh, a thick skin will do 2 things for you.... keep your fingers cool during grinding and keep your humility in check.... both of witch should lead to a better finished blade:)

I don't believe Frank(OP) was or is upset about newbies to knifemaking asking questions or trying to learn, but rather how they ask said questions and how they recieve the answer. Their Forum Conduct so to speak. When someone new comes to the forum/s, wanting to learn about knifemaking, and they have an open mind, post well written and polite questions, and graciously accept the answer/s given, then follow up w/ their own research, I think that is completely acceptable(as would most, and Frank I would think) and should be encouraged(IMO).

I think what really irks the top guys here is when said newb, rolls into the forum/s and feels entitled to any and all information, and then expect everyone to drop what they are doing, to heed their beckon call. That would piss just about anyone off, I would think, in any subject. That behavior should be ignored, and never tolerated ie; the 2nd poster in this thread.

On a second note I think:)foot::foot::foot:) maybe, just might be a little jealousy:)ojust a smidge:eek:) from the more experience crowd, at just how easy it is to find information on knifemaking, that took them a lifetime of hard work to learn:foot::foot::foot:(:(I'm probably going to be stripped naked, beaten, and set on fire for that one.:() Just a vibe I get from some comments.

However, when those who have mastered a craft turn away, from even one possible student who actually wants to learnand do the work, because of the other(sometimes countless) ignorant, arrogant or entitled who demand to be taught and "given" the knowledge, I believe it shows some arrogance in that individual, and leads eventually to the craft dying all together or becoming so bastardized it might well be dead. While I am no master knifesmith, in fact light years from being one, but I do have some knowledge on the subject and am happy to pass it on to someone who doesn't and wants to learn(unless they have that aire of entitlement). If I don't know the answer I can often(and feel obligated to) steer them in the right direction, or do some research and give them the best answer I can find. I have heard and read many Masters say patience is the best tool in knifemaking(true), why would you not show that same paitience with a possible student, part of any craft is teaching said craft to those who want to learn(IMO).

So...In conclusion!!! I am damn long-winded, sheesh put a cork in it!!!;) :foot:

"If you're talkin' you ain't listenin', and if you ain't listenin' you ain't learnin'" --Louis L'Amour

Some peoples advice goes much further than others with me and a lot of that depends on the quality or type of knives they make. :D

One thing I know, this forum is great and I wouldn't be making knives without it.

One other thought to add to the fray. At one point I (and a few others) were chastised for answering newbie questions because there were more experienced people around who could provide more definitive answers. True enough, and that statement would apply to 99% of the participants of this forum. There can only be one person who is the absolute best at something... everyone else is, by definition, less experienced. Does that mean only 1 person is really qualified to answer any newbie question? Of course not.

And here I thought I was special for getting that chastisement. Yes, I just wanted to see myself post on this thread and don't really have anything to say, other than someone should have moved this to "Around the grinder" several pages ago.

Back