Rick Hinderer sent Cease and Desist to Youtuber for saying the steel was soft in his knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just glad I survived carrying such a suboptimal knife all those miles. If I'd have known it was garbage because of the heat threat I would've been a nervous wreck. :eek:

Just to play it safe I better sit out this summer and stay home listening to experts on YouTube and IG

3wrqiRV.jpg

take2nK.jpg

Vt6Sm6v.jpg

Kn6ZeFe.jpg

w78dYHJ.jpg

First I am not a lawyer but you are correct from, from what I understand, a C&D letter itself is just a warning but the wording in it required TK to say things he obviously wasn't going to say. Which is a clear path to litigation if RH wants to take action.
A letter can’t require anyone do anything. It’s just a demand (a BS demand, but still).

The letter doesn’t really “clear the path” to litigation in the way you seem to be inferring.

Derp derp derp, fanboy! (This is your whole argument)
It's actually not, if you had the brain capacity to read the previous comments I made on the matter.

But your response just solidifies my point lol congrats on your pointless fanboyish comment.

Last edited:
A letter can’t require anyone do anything. It’s just a demand (a BS demand, but still).

The letter doesn’t really “clear the path” to litigation in the way you seem to be inferring.
I said its a clear path not clears the path, there are other steps than need to happen but if TK doesn't comply with the C&D, which involves saying that BS, then RH's lawyers will file a suit if he chooses to move forward. Its the first formal step to ending up in litigation.

First I am not a lawyer but you are correct from, from what I understand, a C&D letter itself is just a warning but the wording in it required TK to say things he obviously wasn't going to say. Which is a clear path to litigation if RH wants to take action.

I think the fact RH doesn't even start in the 'optimal' range from Bohler and 'optimal' is the term has been TK has been using from the start would justify bringing that point up if it got to litigation. Also I think what was originally said has been twisted and blown up so much that it will be thrown out either way.
I got ya.

Just gotta remember TK used the term "garbage".

Also, I do agree it's blown up too much.

I'm no Hinderer fanboy and I don't own any of his knives. Full disclosure, I do own a Kershaw Cryo that sits in my wife's car glove box.

But there are all kinds of questions that pop up. How do we know that TransparentKnives did the Rockwell test correctly? How do we know that the blade wasn't compromised earlier? Not to mention how convenient it is that he threw away the blade in question. Lastly, it's cowardly to jump onto a forum and post what you want and then put your fingers in your ears and say that you don't plan on responding to anything. Yet he was concerned enough to post here in the first place.
I'm fine with you or anyone else owning whatever knives they want lol im a cutlery lover through and through. The work speaks for itself, but to completely ignore one side and blindly support the other just for the sake of doing so is ridiculous.

If you're going to crap all over one side, then make sure you're doing it with the correct information. (Which 99% of the people here are NOT doing).

I guess there's no way for any of us besides Brian to know 100% what the answers to those questions are, but I've seen both sides and there is zero reason to believe he isn't being truthful in what he's saying. He's given significant information and everything he's said so far, even things repeated, line up directly with every time before. All the details. Again, this doesn't mean he's better than anyone by any means, but it's not like he's saying 10 different things. And as for him posting here and leaving, I don't know what that's about. Looks like he just made an account to spread his side some more, fair enough. Rick does the same in his Facebook group. But again, not sure if he'll actually pop back up in here or not.

I said its a clear path not clears the path, there are other steps than need to happen but if TK doesn't comply with the C&D, which involves saying that BS, then RH's lawyers will file a suit if he chooses to move forward. Its the first formal step to ending up in litigation.
I was just trying to provide information. There are no steps. You initiate litigation by filing a complaint. There is language in the c&d that I think is unethical if they don’t intend to file suit, but that’s a side issue.

I think there is a fair chance he doesn’t intend to file suit at all, but that’s just speculation.

It's actually not, if you had the brain capacity to read the previous comments I made on the matter.

But your response just solidifies my point lol congrats on your pointless fanboyish comment.
I own zero Hinderers, now I'm a fanboy! What a great fanboy! Yay! (I don't think my brain capacity is the issue here)

And you have a total of 9 posts in your history, all here defending tk,.......

It all seems petty on both sides and has blown up all out of proportion. I know I will probably never buy a blade from TK and even though I own a few RHK, I would not say they are my favorite flippers

I was just trying to provide information. There are no steps. You initiate litigation by filing a complaint. There is language in the c&d that I think is unethical if they don’t intend to file suit, but that’s a side issue.

I think there is a fair chance he doesn’t intend to file suit at all, but that’s just speculation.
Hey man, I appreciate it. I was just trying to clarify what I said but I agree with you.

Have a good night.

Folks gotta remember business is war.

Having an understanding and camaraderie between competitors can be beneficial, but not always are guarantee of...well... anything. It's always nice when folks can get along.

Saying that, when the franchise is perceived as threatened, it's a known tactic to employ Shock and Awe. It's a clear message and can potentially nip the issue instantly.

Is it right? Is it wrong? That is subjective and depends on the players.

I just wish if people were gonna choose to shit on TK, they at least be truthful about what he said. Don't just bullshit and say he did all this and acted like he knew better than Rick, etc. He never claimed to be better than anyone. He even said he appreciates and enjoys Rick's work. That doesn't mean he cant have an opinion on the knives. But anyway, this is one big shitshow regardless.
You know RyanSean97 RyanSean97 , people like you take all the fun out of hysterical speculation and infighting. Nothing gets the folks posting like a good bashing; and by the time you get to the 10th post after the original, it's usually a dog pile. This thread is zooming towards 650 posts in just about 3-4 days. Positive threads that line out facts with valid cites, knife tests, manufacturing news from makers, etc., just aren't that interesting and have little staying power or even interest compared to a good gang bash.

I can't for the life of me figure out why so many are so invested in the activities concerning a knife maker that has been so thoroughly hammered to pieces so many times here on this forum. Slow week I guess...

You know RyanSean97 RyanSean97 , people like you take all the fun out of hysterical speculation and infighting. Nothing gets the folks posting like a good bashing; and by the time you get to the 10th post after the original, it's usually a dog pile. This thread is zooming towards 650 posts in just about 3-4 days. Positive threads that line out facts with valid cites, knife tests, manufacturing news from makers, etc., just aren't that interesting and have little staying power or even interest compared to a good gang bash.

I can't for the life of me figure out why so many are so invested in the activities concerning a knife maker that has been so thoroughly hammered to pieces so many times here on this forum. Slow week I guess...
1651832832029.jpeg

Quote from TK Instagram post:
..”but I believe that Hinderer winning this case will set back the knife community's progress in aiming for better heat treat and improved quality.”

This is where my problem with this guy is. He read a few books and now he’s going to tell everyone how it should be done.

He also made a statement about how knives aren’t heat treated to their full potential. Implying makers and companies should push steels HRC to its limits.

Tk is on a crusade to save the knife community. Because if your knife has a 58-59 hrc it’s trash. He’s here to save us all.

Quote from TK Instagram post:
..”but I believe that Hinderer winning this case will set back the knife community's progress in aiming for better heat treat and improved quality.”

This is where my problem with this guy is. He read a few books and now he’s going to tell everyone how it should be done.

He also made a statement about how knives aren’t heat treated to their full potential. Implying makers and companies should push steels HRC to its limits.

Tk is on a crusade to save the knife community. Because if your knife has a 58-59 hrc it’s trash. He’s here to save us all.
I‘m not sure if he’s just trying to monetize off drama, or if his brain is just wired to think he’s some sort of knife industry savior. Maybe both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back