Rick Hinderer sent Cease and Desist to Youtuber for saying the steel was soft in his knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote from TK Instagram post:
..”but I believe that Hinderer winning this case will set back the knife community's progress in aiming for better heat treat and improved quality.”

This is where my problem with this guy is. He read a few books and now he’s going to tell everyone how it should be done.

He also made a statement about how knives aren’t heat treated to their full potential. Implying makers and companies should push steels HRC to its limits.

Tk is on a crusade to save the knife community. Because if your knife has a 58-59 hrc it’s trash. He’s here to save us all.
Another thing I learned reciently is that TK has diagnosed bipolar disorder. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to make fun of the guy for his disibility. It just makes more sense why he reacts inconsistently to how most people would handle this situation.

By now: it should be obvious that nobody is changing their minds...
Now now, Bobby… my opinion has changed a bit. Now I think Hinderer and TK like the smell of their own farts. Hinderer is doing what Hinderer feels needs to be done and TK is flopping around, worried about the integrity of his review, his freedom to express his ideas, and making knives better for everyone.

I, for one, am tired of “Big Knife” selling me 1080 and calling it magnacut. Down with the institution!

Man, I’ve stopped quoting CATRA since the last M390 thread. There’s so much involved in Larrin’s studies that sometimes it’s hard to parse expected TCC and actual TCC. Plus, in that thread most people willingly admitted running it at a higher HRC will result in the billed edge holding capability, but a lot of them were stating corrosion resistance for their reason for buying. Again, this is why Brian’s statements don’t do much in terms of defamation. Some people are looking at specific steels for entirely different reasons.
Actually if you check this article Larrin Larrin states:
"The chart below has dotted lines which indicate the average effect of hardness for any given steel. So you can estimate how much a change in hardness would affect edge retention by following the slope of those lines."

Doesn't keen its 100% perfect but generally it's 15.8 TCC per point of hardness. The chart he references is below, the dotted lines are the" average effect" whereas the specific points are the actual data afaik (as measured in this test) so you can see that no steel deviates much from that prediction.

CATRA-5-7-2021.jpg

I am curious though... If so much goes into testing hardness on a blade and its not as simple as we think, how can we trust these numbers or any knife maker for that matter?

Actually if you check this article Larrin Larrin states:
"The chart below has dotted lines which indicate the average effect of hardness for any given steel. So you can estimate how much a change in hardness would affect edge retention by following the slope of those lines."

Doesn't keen its 100% perfect but generally it's 15.8 TCC per point of hardness. The chart he references is below, the dotted lines are the" average effect" whereas the specific points are the actual data afaik (as measured in this test) so you can see that no steel deviates much from that prediction.

CATRA-5-7-2021.jpg

I am curious though... If so much goes into testing hardness on a blade and its not as simple as we think, how can we trust these numbers or any knife maker for that matter?
Dang.. Rex 121 and maxamet look like they’re from another planet.

I'm fine with you or anyone else owning whatever knives they want lol im a cutlery lover through and through. The work speaks for itself, but to completely ignore one side and blindly support the other just for the sake of doing so is ridiculous.

If you're going to crap all over one side, then make sure you're doing it with the correct information. (Which 99% of the people here are NOT doing).

I guess there's no way for any of us besides Brian to know 100% what the answers to those questions are, but I've seen both sides and there is zero reason to believe he isn't being truthful in what he's saying. He's given significant information and everything he's said so far, even things repeated, line up directly with every time before. All the details. Again, this doesn't mean he's better than anyone by any means, but it's not like he's saying 10 different things. And as for him posting here and leaving, I don't know what that's about. Looks like he just made an account to spread his side some more, fair enough. Rick does the same in his Facebook group. But again, not sure if he'll actually pop back up in here or not.
My guess is that he would engage more if there were mature conversation and argumentation going on here instead of emotional arguments and gaslighting. I don't think anyone wants to get into a tit for tat, back and forth emotional argument as it does no good.

My guess is that he would engage more if there were mature conversation and argumentation going on here instead of emotional arguments and gaslighting. I don't think anyone wants to get into a tit for tat, back and forth emotional argument as it does no good.
No, because he isn’t the whistleblower some of you are making him out to be. Giving him undivided attention and treating his findings as scientific and factual brings credibility to his mission and I’m not giving him that. Many here know exactly what he’s up to with his antics… and some here have blinders on because they want to take Hinderer down.

Things that make you shake your head for $600.00.

Ok to address some comments that stick out. If TK was stating that all companies and makers should run M390/20CV at a higher hardness (in his opinion and he's not crying about his "test" results) ... than why single out RHK? And why not say that instead of saying Hinderer's heat treat is garbage or anything else derogatory about Hinderer? And TK's own comments sure made it sound as though he thinks Rick should have sent him a new blade ... for a modified knife that had the flipper tab ground off? Really? And starting a GoFundMe for lawyers already? Gotta get those likes and followers huh?

TK's own statement along with a few of his supporters say that Hinderer's knives would perform much better at a higher hardness ... yeah, not so much. Yes M390/20CV can hold an edge well at higher hardnesses. BUT it wouldn't perform better or well on this type of knife for the intended purposes Rick started making them for at those higher hardnesses.

The intended use and intended market of RHK was first responders/hard use and they are made towards that purpose. If you want a high hardness blade with extreme edge holding ability instead ... then buy a different suitable option don't try to tell Rick how to run his business or bad mouth his product. Right tool for the job and all.

Have any of you ever cut a seatbelt to get someone out of a vehicle that's on fire? Or had to pry a windshield out with your knife because you happen to be first on scene in a bad situation and it's the tool you have? Or are you making videos for your IG showing how nicely your high hardness, 10 degree blade cuts tissue paper? M390/20CV is chippy even at lower hardnesses when put to task, but would be ridiculously chippy at the mentioned 63.

I personally agree that for the original marketed uses the current choice of steel for RHK may not be the best option available, but that's Rick's call isn't it? I perfered the S35VN personally.

It seems TK didn't think before he blurted out things he shouldn't have and now is trying to say he's the victim because he got called on his BS. And the comments about Rick being abrasive may be true ... but he didn't make statements about TK's work being trash ... so what does him being abrasive have to do with this situation? If the little guy picks the fight ... he can't cry bully.

I don't think either side has handled this particularly well. That being said I don't at all blame Rick for the C&D letter. This day and age with all the keyboard warriors and "knife experts" online if he just turned the other cheek there's no telling how far it would go.

Oh before someone crys "fan boy" ... yes I own Hinderers, but no I carry a fixed blade in D3V because it's the best choice I've found for the unknown situations we may get called to.

As a business owner I agree with RHK. If I found out that an up and comer in the area was trying to drum up business by disparaging mine, rather than get dragged through the mud on social media I'd consult a lawyer. Makes sense to me, it shows that you're willing to fight for your name rather than just be another keyboard warrior type.

For the record: I haven't even handled a Hinderer knife.

Edited for spelling.
And again for punctuation

Last edited:
OK I can play that game. I question the intellect and motives of anyone who pops up in a here fresh off the street up of the street and vigorously advocate for a dirtbag youtuber like the one that sparked this thread; he's a scuzzy no nothing clown about to learn about writing checks with your mouth that your ass can't cover and I say his followers and supports are just as morally lacking.

If his game is to "make knives better" he can hoe his own garden first. If your game is say anyone who thinks Rick Hinderer is wrong with a questionable intellect I'm putting my whole stake on Rick's side of the table.

I can explain it to you; but I can't understand it for you.

[BeeeeeeEEEEEEP]

(Checks readout)

No lies detected.

It sure looks as if he's trying to pull off an "Internet Assassination"...
He’s definitely stoking the flames and taking pleasure in his rabid fan base’s determination to bring down Hinderer. These people have always hated Rick.. they’re happy an opportunity to pile on the guy came along. I wish they’d come try to pull that crap here so they can get slammed with some logic.

I'm fine with you or anyone else owning whatever knives they want lol im a cutlery lover through and through. The work speaks for itself, but to completely ignore one side and blindly support the other just for the sake of doing so is ridiculous.

If you're going to crap all over one side, then make sure you're doing it with the correct information. (Which 99% of the people here are NOT doing).

I guess there's no way for any of us besides Brian to know 100% what the answers to those questions are, but I've seen both sides and there is zero reason to believe he isn't being truthful in what he's saying. He's given significant information and everything he's said so far, even things repeated, line up directly with every time before. All the details. Again, this doesn't mean he's better than anyone by any means, but it's not like he's saying 10 different things. And as for him posting here and leaving, I don't know what that's about. Looks like he just made an account to spread his side some more, fair enough. Rick does the same in his Facebook group. But again, not sure if he'll actually pop back up in here or not.

Yet, you're here defending TK, when it's RHK's actual business that could face tangible financial impacts as a result of Brian Kim's garbage callout and continuance of doing so. RHK has been spun to be the bad guy in this scenerio because an awful lot of idiots on Instagram think he's some giant evil megacorporation* who's picking on the "little guy". RHK is a small business who have made a decision to try to protect their revenue stream by forcing IG social media knife modders with zero credibility to non-fanboys to stop trashing their products just because they don't make them to his liking. Who cares what Brian Kim thinks?

Oh, right, the people in here defending him, thinking that somehow this is a David and Goliath situation, instead of what it actually is: Some bum who still lives at his mom's house trying to call a known, respected knife company's products out as being "suboptimal"...simply on his say so. Get the entire eff out of here with this bad logic, thanks.

* If you're following along, then you know I've debunked that.

Quote from TK Instagram post:
..”but I believe that Hinderer winning this case will set back the knife community's progress in aiming for better heat treat and improved quality.”

This is where my problem with this guy is. He read a few books and now he’s going to tell everyone how it should be done.

He also made a statement about how knives aren’t heat treated to their full potential. Implying makers and companies should push steels HRC to its limits.

Tk is on a crusade to save the knife community. Because if your knife has a 58-59 hrc it’s trash. He’s here to save us all.

Whoa, whoa, careful, you're talking about the chief banner bearer for the so-called "New Guard". They simply know better. Dudes who've been making knives for over 30 years, and have been doing it well enough that he was able to start and build a respectable small business, able to employ people to come work for him, and whose knives put food on all their tables?

Nah, bro. Dude who just did some tests with no verified credentials or professional credibility says those knives are trash from the comfort of his Mom's house. THAT'S the guy we should really be listening to in all this, not mean old mega corporate giant, Hinderer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back