• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Ripped off, why can't I leave feedback?

After ~100 knife forum transactions over 20 years, I finally hit a bad one, (and of course it was a F&F transaction).

Bought a knife Aug 16th ago from this thread. Seller thanked me for the cash and then stopped responding. After multiple attempts to contact, I'm giving up. (There are lots of details I'm leaving out about this guy, for now.)

Seller is still active on this board. When I try to leave feedback on the transaction, I'm getting this error using the same URL linked above, "Invalid thread specified. You can leave feedback only for the starter of the thread or if you have started the thread." Do I have to reply to the thread before I can leave feedback on it?

That sucks, sorry to hear this.

Yes, you do need to have posted in the thread in order to leave feedback.

Good luck resolving this if you decide to pursue it any further, and get ready for a crap ton of "don't do F&F" comments, you may want to lock this so you don't have to read them all.

Winston

After ~100 knife forum transactions over 20 years, I finally hit a bad one, (and of course it was a F&F transaction).

Bought a knife Aug 16th ago from this thread. Seller thanked me for the cash and then stopped responding. After multiple attempts to contact, I'm giving up. (There are lots of details I'm leaving out about this guy, for now.)

Seller is still active on this board. When I try to leave feedback on the transaction, I'm getting this error using the same URL linked above, "Invalid thread specified. You can leave feedback only for the starter of the thread or if you have started the thread." Do I have to reply to the thread before I can leave feedback on it?
Yes you have to post in the original thread to leave feedback .

Its possible (or likely) that I missed something, but is it too late to post in the original thread thus giving you feedback rights?

And yeah, that's a lot of money to send a stranger with no option of recourse. :(

Posting as F&F is also against forum rules I think it is allowed when a G&S option is also presented but otherwise that post began by breaking the rules.

You should also post the email or whatever written record of the transaction
He was last active today at 12:07 pm

I thought a rule had been made that F&F could only be posted with G&S but hard to keep track of the rules when I don't use the sales forum much myself.

I thought a rule had been made that F&F could only be posted with G&S but hard to keep track of the rules when I don't use the sales forum much myself.

We do have a link to the current Exchange Rules at the top of every subforum in the Exchange including this one, just so anybody can see the current rules easily.

https://www.bladeforums.com/help/exchange-rules/

Per Section 2.1d of the Exchange rules: "Paypal "friends & family" is STRONGLY DISCOURAGED. This is for your protection."

Thanks for the info guys. I've since found a lot of information out about the seller, extensive criminal history, ripping off people on other forums, etc. I should've at least Google'd the guy's name first.

As for F&F, I knew the warnings and ignored them. Maybe it's just my luck, but the knife community has been the most honest group of folks I've ever dealt with and I just let my guard down. I just got sloppy.

sorry to hear about your bad transaction, I don't know how some people sleep at night, maybe it will work out for you, hopefully with you leaving bad feedback it will help others

Yet you only have 2 feedback?
Had it been me — His 2 feedback would have sent a sea of red flags!!!

I'm including several knife forums in that count, primarily Microholics, but yeah, even my most recent transaction has yet to leave feedback. I've never asked people to leave it and I'm not great at leaving it either. Perhaps I need to improve in that area.

Back