Rival Review: Thermite - **Video review & Pimp job video**

So I've had my Thermite for about 24hrs now,and can share a few initial impressions.

So far I have to say, for me, the size is perfect. It fills my hand with just a bit out the end (I wear size medium gloves if that helps). The spanto tip is well executed for this price point. I have plenty of experience with 8cr13 steel and it holds a great edge that's easy to touch up, so if you are going to complain about steel you are looking in the wrong price point. There is no detent hole in the blade, but the torsion bar keeps the blade perfectly secure. Speedsafe deploys with authority, and of course it was hair popping sharp. Mine weighs in at 4.91 ounces, and for the size blade, and full steel frame lock, that's pretty damn good. The lockup is solid, no wiggling in any direction. The gear pattern backspacer is awesome, though it rides up the full spine of the blade, so bust out your air cans when its cleaning time;-) I may mod mine a bit to bring that down some, as I prefer flow through construction (makes for easier cleaning). It came tip down carry, and I stripped my good WIHA torx driver trying to switch up the pocket clip. There was a TON of loc-tite on the screws, so I had to bust out the soldering iron to heat up the screws and break the bond ... Its worth it though, tip up is the best way to carry;)

All in all, this is an AMAZING knife, and the price cant be beat. I look forward to putting it through some paces (and modding her up a bit). I'll keep you all posted....or just get one and find out for yourself:D

[video=youtube_share;fBTWCePyjHM]http://youtu.be/fBTWCePyjHM[/video]

here is a pic with my cryo for size comparison....quite a difference

IMG_20130806_205525_948[1].jpg
IMG_20130806_205505_377[1].jpg

Here is the ZT hinderer family for comparison as well. I didnt grab side views, but its much slimmer as well....sorry all i had laying around were these junky ones;-)
9456826522_2934f901ae_z.jpg

9454027007_4fef7b3407_z.jpg

And of course I cant leave anything original for long....sio I added a choil to the blade as well. Makes for a nice forward grip. you can see it in the pic above too
9454043259_d59a6376ff_z.jpg

Last edited:
Great write-up, Keeth. I am looking forward to getting a Thermite. It's currently in my top 3 knives to get. I'm hoping that Caleb's place will have them in stock next Friday when I go to the store grand opening in Denver.

Thanks for the review, Rival. This is the one that I have my eye on of the current crop. I'm interested to see what mods you do to it.

Nice write up man seems like a pretty cool knife check out the Injection as well it's phenomenal.

Yeah, I don't spend more than about $15 on sunglasses. They have a way of getting lost or broken with me :)

These are my first pair actually. Can't wait, I've never had a quality pair of sunglasses.
They are worth it. My brother has had the same pair of M Frames with the original lenses for about ten years. They've been worn in plenty of baseball games (played not watched) through the years, shooting range, and anywhere the sun shines in Florida. Which is everywhere. You wont be disappointed.

Can't wait to see a pimped out Thermite!

Glad to see you have one! That means when mine arrives and I want custom scales I won't have to send the knife in! I am a little bummed there is no detent hole so you won't be able to remove the torsion bar:( I ordered mine Sunday night along with a Cryo 3 but it still hasn't shipped for some reason.

Very nice work man, looks great. That finger choil looks very very well done. :thumbup:

They are worth it. My brother has had the same pair of M Frames with the original lenses for about ten years. They've been worn in plenty of baseball games (played not watched) through the years, shooting range, and anywhere the sun shines in Florida. Which is everywhere. You wont be disappointed.

Can't wait to see a pimped out Thermite!

Decade strong!
2013-08-07111835.jpg

Keeth, i thought that choil came on it at first. Very well done sir!

I can't get over how nice that knife looks. Can't wait to see a custom Rival scale on there ;)

ive had mine on preorder from blade hq since it was announced...i cant wait!

Back