Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

009AA477-0932-41EF-AF42-674E0982B2A3.jpeg Just got the top stockman with the Turkish clip point and the only flaw on it is that the bone is slightly proud at one of the bolsters.
Other than that it is in excellent shape.

The strawberry bone one I have had for a couple years now and it is in very good mechanical shape but I got a bone crack at the middle pin and it lost its shield.
I’m not sure what they used for bolster material here but it is taking a nice patina.

RR Smooth white bone peanut. My wife says the dark spots give it character.;)
IqwjnSH.jpg

This one arrived Monday and it is a shockingly nice knife for the money.

large.jpg

There is a little asymmetry at the end of the handle but that will easily clean up.

medium800.jpg

Action is great and the blade was well ground and it just took a couple minutes to clean up the edge. Cuts and carries very well, and is comfortable in the hand. This is going to make me end up with a nice GEC viper with some stag or something to have a dress knife!

There is a little asymmetry at the end of the handle but that will easily clean up.
Action is great and the blade was well ground and it just took a couple minutes to clean up the edge. Cuts and carries very well, and is comfortable in the hand. This is going to make me end up with a nice GEC viper with some stag or something to have a dress knife!
I received one as well and it's a fine knife. :thumbsup: I hesitated last week to even post it on What traditional are you totin' today as there are few negatives about the knife. :( so here goes, it should be safe around here.:)
View attachment 1206650
Congrats on the new swayback Wharncliffe Rough Riders, guys! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

E64B8BAD-30A2-4A3E-AD93-AC287CA5C9D4.jpeg B0717DEF-51DA-496F-9208-D435C3AA9FF9.jpeg A9F655ED-94CD-406A-B3DC-BD187EA44726.jpeg D3CCDBFE-24DF-47D4-91C9-0E1765A2F98C.jpeg I have two GEC Vipers and have found that I don’t use or carry them.
When I saw this one from RoughRider I ordered a couple.
The fit and finish isn’t up to the GECs but I didn’t expect it to be, so no disappointment there.
That being said, I’ve done some tweaking and am no less satisfied with this knife than I am with the Vipers. And, because I will use and carry these I will grow to appreciate them even more, as I do with all of my ‘carry’ knives.
It has great action with strong pull and snap in both directions.

As received both scales had gaps between the liners that were maybe the thickness of a razor blade just behind the edge. The liners, backspring and scales needed to be ground even as they were also misaligned at the tail end.
Not a big deal, 5 minutes on a 1” belt sander , maybe 10minutes if you do it by hand, and some crazy glue and clamp, everything is tight and symmetric.

The edge was just slightly uneven so I touched that up and thinned it just a bit.
It now easily flicks arm hairs the entire length of the blade all the way to the tip.
I have to say this is a great knife that I am 100% confident in its ability to perform as well as any other slip joint knife out there.

large.jpg

medium800.jpg

That's what's great about these knives. Because most of my RR's and Colt's were around (or under) $15, I've got no problems breaking out some sandpaper and the buffer to ease any rough spots or tweak something to my liking. But with a one, two, or three hundred dollar knife, I'm hesitant to do much, if any, of that kind of thing.

Enjoy the new knife. I don't think I have any traditional's with that blade shape just yet. I may have to check one out.

916A69D8-F478-4C00-B30E-E0C72AA89DB1.jpeg The RR 2038 is sold out at SMKW as of this morning.
I went to order a couple more for gifts and was surprised to see that they had sold out in a what was a relatively short time.

What have you seasoned Rough Rider fans experienced in past sell outs? Do they do ‘second’ runs and, if so, what has the time frame been before more show up?

I hope they do more of these as I have been thouroghly impressed with mine.

In the five years or so that I have been looking at and buying Rough Riders, I have seen a number of finishes, and at least a couple of patterns either sell out or become quite thin on the ground. I have no idea how widespread this phenomenon is, but have only noticed it in knives where I have taken an interest. Of the ones that have petered out, I have yet to see a revival of any.

A half hawk in smooth tobacco bone is going to be hard to find right now. A lot of patterns in sawcut bone, which used to be everywhere, are now hard to find. Those are just a couple of examples.

You might try asking the manufacturer what their plans are.

Henry,
Thank for your reply.
That’s not a bad idea, I may just do that and report back to you’all.

I have two GEC Vipers and have found that I don’t use or carry them.
When I saw this one from RoughRider I ordered a couple.
The fit and finish isn’t up to the GECs but I didn’t expect it to be, so no disappointment there.
That being said, I’ve done some tweaking and am no less satisfied with this knife than I am with the Vipers.

The liners, backspring and scales needed to be ground even as they were also misaligned at the tail end.
Not a big deal, 5 minutes on a 1” belt sander , maybe 10minutes if you do it by hand, and some crazy glue and clamp, everything is tight and symmetric.

The edge was just slightly uneven so I touched that up and thinned it just a bit.
It now easily flicks arm hairs the entire length of the blade all the way to the tip.
I have to say this is a great knife that I am 100% confident in its ability to perform as well as any other slip joint knife out there.

Congrats on the improvements! Excellent job. Your post is also a great exhibit of retail price differences between brands. To improve both the fit and finish of the knife you used additional tools, materials, and time. I'm curious if RR did the same what their price would increase to? :)

I just talked with a representative at SMKW as I was hoping to acquire a couple more of these 2038s for gifts.
I was told that the model was, and I quote, ‘discontinued by the vendor’.
So that’s the bottom line, as of this time. My take from this, in addition to what’s been said above,is that I doubt that there will be any more of these produced.
It’s too bad, I think they hit a mark for many here, myself included and they obviously sold out relatively quickly.
A win/win for both consumer and maker.

I just talked with a representative at SMKW as I was hoping to acquire a couple more of these 2038s for gifts.
I was told that the model was, and I quote, ‘discontinued by the vendor’.
So that’s the bottom line, as of this time. My take from this, in addition to what’s been said above,is that I doubt that there will be any more of these produced.
It’s too bad, I think they hit a mark for many here, myself included and they obviously sold out relatively quickly.
A win/win for both consumer and maker.
Interesting, hopefully they will return to the general pattern, but change it a bit to separate it more from being a GEC lookalike.

Back