Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Just got this, very nice.

RR1572.jpg

Good Evening everyone, hope you all have a good weekend.:thumbsup: I suppose most of you probably know, but for those who don't and are interested, Rough Rider have just released a 3 Blade Sowbelly Stockman in Green Micarta for fifteen US dollars[ bit more over here ] and they look okay. There is a brief video clip on youtube from SMK. :)

This is quite nice in my opinion. Half stops on all three blades.
U0RlneC.jpg

zcDVozn.jpg

I received one of these a few weeks ago. I have not had the same luck with Rough Ryder in the fit and finish department as many of you have. However the green micarta sowbelly i received is the best quality and design of the 10 or so RR's i've gotten in my hands. Only one bad thing is the amount of gunk loaded in the joints. It arrived filthy and not very sharp; two things than can be remedied easily.

I received one of these a few weeks ago. I have not had the same luck with Rough Ryder in the fit and finish department as many of you have. However the green micarta sowbelly i received is the best quality and design of the 10 or so RR's i've gotten in my hands. Only one bad thing is the amount of gunk loaded in the joints. It arrived filthy and not very sharp; two things than can be remedied easily.
You must just be unlucky my friend.o_O Have not had a problem with any of mine, and all really sharp, and with a brief strop, razor sharp.

You must just be unlucky my friend.o_O Have not had a problem with any of mine, and all really sharp, and with a brief strop, razor sharp.
Mine is great. Came pretty clean and sharp. Seems ruggedly built and well executed. It's in my pocket.

Postal is running a bit late today. Just received at 18:30 Mtn Time:
Rough Rider 1056 "Stroke of Luck" Trapper and a RR 1057 "Stroke of Luck" large (4.25 inch closed) stockman.
I was not expecting these two until the 10th or 11th.
The three I was expecting got delayed at least a day.

Quick Rundown:

No visible gaps on either knife.
The green bone covers are dyed evenly on both.
All pulls are around a "5" or "6". Not "too hard" or "too weak".
Match strike nail nicks on all the blades. (now all I need are some strike anywhere matches ...
All blades on both are arm hair shaving sharp out of the box. Grinds appear to be even.
No blade wiggles on either knife.
Backsprings are flush open and ckosed. No half stops.
Fancy "engraved" bolsters on both ends and both sides. (several dots in a diamond, and a 3 leaf clover)
Horseshoe shields are tight and flush.

My guess is they will both make for a fine EDC.
(I expect the delayed RR "Stroke of Luck Canoe will be a good EDC, too.)

I can't detect any flaws in either knife without a magnifying glass or jewler's lupe.

I be happy with them. :)

EDIT:
Both the trapper and stockman have two backsprings.

Last edited:
Well ... postal delivered today a Marbles MR309 Camp Combo (Marbles MR278 "Demo" knife and a Marbles SPORK) a Rough Rider RR1062 "Stroke of Luck" Canoe, and a BTI Schrade Old Timer 858OTB.

First, the Marbles MR278:
This makes for my third one. The other two (which I still have) are flawless.
This one?
In the blister pack/hang pack, all 4 blades were half open ... Yep. You guessed it!
The backspring for the can opener and screwdriver/bottle opener is in two pieces.
I've sent SMKW an email, requesting replacement of the MR278 only.
As far as I can tell, there are no defects on the SPORK.

ROUGH Rider RR1062 "Stroke of Luck" Canoe:

As expected, both blades are arm hair shaving sharp out of the box.
No blade wiggles, and no visible gaps without a magnifying glass or jewler's lupe. (of which I have neither)
Grinds appear even.
The green bone covers are evenly dyed.
Pull on both blades is a smooth "5", in my guesstimation, with nice walk 'n talk.

It has joined the Stroke of Luck Stockman and Trapper in my pocket. :)

BTI Schrade Old Timer 858OTB:
Based on price and everything else, I'm guessing it can be mentioned in this thread as a "related".

Impressive. Same size (4.25 inches closed) as the Rough Rider Stroke of Luck.
Not quite as sharp as the Rough Rider's out of the box. However, a few minutes tops with the bottom of my (empty) coffee mug should fix that.
Saw Cut bone scales seem nice, but the "saw cut" is in the reverse direction of the 280OT Barlow's.
Also, there is a crack on the mark side, by the backspring rivet/pin. (as it is real genuine bovine bone, a crack is no biggie; natural materials can and do crack, after all. Anyway, a drop of "super glue" should take care of it.)

I believe the 858OTB will be joining the 280OT in my pocket sometime next year. :)

For now, the green "Stroke of Luck" knives and the red SK Blades "Smoke Jumper" gives
me a "Christmas Colors" carry. :)

Last edited:
Three Rough Riders came in on 12/28/19.
(sorry for the long-winded post.)

RR603 Large Yellow handle Stockman. (4.25 inch closed, square bolsters).

This is my second one.

As expected, blades are all arm hair shaving sharp out of the box.

A couple IMHO minor "defects" on this one.
The back spring for the spey/budding is just a hair proud when closed (not enough to feel when holding/using) and is flush when open.

Both backsprings for the sheepsfoot and main clip point are just a touch sunken when closed (again, not enough to notice when holding/using the knife) and are both flush when those blades are open.

No blade wiggle, and no blade rub. (its a two spring stockman, to boot!)

No noticable gaps without a light and/or jewler's lupe. All the pins are flush and smooth. Shield seems tight and well attached/glued.

The pulls on all three blades are a "5" and smooth, with good walk 'n talk.
No half stops.
A good user it will be/is. :)

RR RR597 Yellow handle (full size 4.125 inches closed) Trapper.

Backsprings are flush open and closed.
I think both blades are arm hair shaving sharp out of the box. (I'm low on left arm hair, so didn't verify.)

No noticable gaps without a light, jewler's lupe or magnifying glass.

Blades are well centered, possess no wiggle, and have a nice smooth "5" pull.
As with the stockman, no half stops.
Another nice user, I believe. :)

RR1838 "Hopalong Cassidy" "Riders of the Silver Screen" series Moose. 4.25 inches closed.

It is much nicer than the ones I recall seeing as a kid, (made by Camillus? Imperial? Colonial?) back in the 1950's and 1960's.

The artwork under the clear acrylic covers is well done.
Mark side has Mr. Cassidy comin' round a boulder with 6 gun drawn. Pile side has the series name over small pictures of Zorro, Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autry, Red Rider, and Little Beaver. (the other knives in the series feature one of them on the mark side.)

All pins are flush and smooth.
Blades are very well centered. Pull is right around a "5".

There might be a small less than cigarette paper/toilet paper wide gap between the back springs and liners. (big deal)

This knife has (unexpected) half stops on both blades.
The back springs are flush in all three positions.

The blades are arm hair shaving sharp out of the box.
The "spear point" blade tip looks more "spey blade-ish" than "spear point-ish" but the edge is more spear point in profile.

This should be a good knife to help me decide if I like the Moose or Trapper pattern better, or equally.

Almost forgot to mention. The grinds on all three knives are even on all the blades.

I'll go out on a (sturdy) limb and say "If you want/need a good large stockman, full size trapper, or a "Neat-O!!!" moose, for not a lot of money, you'll be hard pressed to beat these. I highly recommend them." :)

May y'all have a Happy 2020! :)

Last edited:
I got a RR large old yellow stockman from my brother for christmas .
My one is a nice example , no spring gaps ,well centred with nice consistent pull on all blades and it came plenty sharp .
Over all a very nice knife.
Feels pretty big for a uk legal carry .
Another nice addition to my ever growing RR family .

Got this RR1991 the other day. Pretty nice 3 blade sowbelly for under twenty bucks.
The blades needed to be flushed out with some nano oil and opened and closed a bit before they had decent snap but they are pretty good now.
I also sharpened the blades myself, but the grinds they had when I got it weren't too bad.

Fit and finish pretty good. Very small gap between the back springs and liner. The micarta is fitted well.
I don't care for the matchstrike on these blades nor the shield.

With the Case version.

Last edited:
I sold a couple of GEC knives and ordered a new Eureka Jack.
I had a few dollars left over, so I just ordered a RR Micarta Sowbelly Stockman.
I'm a glutton for punishment! I hope they'll send me a decent knife this time, the last several have been horrible.

I sold a couple of GEC knives and ordered a new Eureka Jack.
I had a few dollars left over, so I just ordered a RR Micarta Sowbelly Stockman.
I'm a glutton for punishment! I hope they'll send me a decent knife this time, the last several have been horrible.
Hope you get a one that is acceptable to you to start the new year on a high. All the best for the New Year.:):thumbsup:

I just received the Micarta Stockman in the mail.
I'm happy I finally got a decent knife from this brand. The fit and finish is pretty good, a little rough but nothing to really complain about for the price. The spring is proud when the main blade is open and the pins are also a little proud. The blades themselves are very nice and the pull/snap is really crisp. The spey rubs like crazy and I have to force it closed. Overall I'd give it a C+ and I plan to keep this one.

Back