Rough Ryder Reserve: New Premium Rough Ryder Line

So the foggy hill blade store just announced via YouTube a new line of premium Rough Ryder knives called the Rough Ryder Reserve.

They are interesting patterns (Easy Open One Arm Jack, Swell Center Canoe w/ Revers Tanto Blades, and a Large Balloon Whittler), they are said (and look) to have high fit and finish, they have D2 blades and (for now) micarta handles, and they said they think (but forgot to check if) they have pinned shields.

Notably, they come in a tube tin and have an arrowhead-ish shield. Clearly they're intended as a competitor to GEC and Northwoods. At the least they're taking cues, with the tube and arrowhead shield, but others might use stronger language...

They're in the Case price range at $40, $50, and $60 respectively.

What do you think of these?

Rough Ryder has had really popular releases with the recent Work Knife and Bow Trapper. I will probably get some of these, at least to review and make a video.

0JtcWTal.jpg

mU8WKc2l.jpg

qUwCrsWl.jpg

Last edited:
I still don't like those 'matchstick' pulls. I wouldn't mind checking out that canoe in person, but not sure I wan't to drop $50+ to check it out.
Somebody should buy one and start a pass around :D

I was also somewhat surprised to see the match strike nail nicks. Maybe it's part of their branding? I do notice that there's no branding other than the tang stamps (not etches, thankfully), which is definitely a good thing imho.

So the foggy hill blade store just announced via YouTube a new line of premium Rough Ryder knives called the Rough Ryder Reserve.

They are interesting patterns (Easy Open One Arm Jack, Swell Center Canoe w/ Revers Tanto Blades, and a Large Balloon Whittler), they are said (and look) to have high fit and finish, they have D2 blades and (for now) micarta handles, and they said they think (but forgot to check if) they have pinned shields.

Notably, they come in a tube tin and have an arrowhead-ish shield. Clearly they're intended as a competitor to GEC and Northwoods. At the least they're taking cues, with the tube and arrowhead shield, but others might use stronger language...

They're in the Case price range at $40, $50, and $60 respectively.

What do you think of these?

Rough Ryder has had really popular releases with the recent Work Knife and Bow Trapper. I will probably get some of these, at least to review and make a video.

And all showing out of stock, as of a couple minutes ago.
They went fast ...

Did you get any before they were gone?

I'll admit the swell center canoe/"kayak" and whittler looked interesting, but both are/were way beyond my budget.

Honestly though, I scored one of the Marbles D2 Sowbelly Stockman with black canvas micarta covers, (under $17) around the 3rd. I really don't think I "need" more D2.
Nothing against Rough Ryder, of course, (I only have 60 or so of them) but if I change my mind on "needing" additional D2, I'll stick with the more affordable Marbles offerings. :)

Last edited:
As usual, they almost produce something nice, but have to do something funky.
That Jack looks nice, but the one arm blade leaves me cold. Would have been a winner with a spear or clip.
The canoe is very interesting, but those blade shapes are really ugly. Stick to the basics if you want to compete.
They're on the right track if they have truly improved F&F, the covers and shields look nice, and the handle shapes are cool.

And all showing out of stock, as of a couple minutes ago.
They went fast ...

Did you get any before they were gone?

I'll admit the swell center canoe/"kayak" and whittler looked interesting, but both are/were way beyond my budget.

They didn't actually go up for sale yet. They said they're on their way. That's just what they do, they post up the page to the site before they actually go up for sale.

If they're made here I'll buy a couple.

Still made in China.

Shots fired at GEC. Competition is good. Excited to watch this brand progress, just like Civivi, and QSP, and CJRB. Id much rather buy american, but ya know what, when it takes overseas brands to push american brands to innovate again, everyone wins. I hope GEC notices and reacts to stay relevant.

John said above "As usual, they almost produce something nice, but have to do something funky." Have ya seen the GEC B&S knife? Or the pocket carver? Or that other funky #35 pattern? I'd prefer all three RRR patterns over those three GEC. YMMV.

As usual, they almost produce something nice, but have to do something funky.
That Jack looks nice, but the one arm blade leaves me cold. Would have been a winner with a spear or clip.
The canoe is very interesting, but those blade shapes are really ugly. Stick to the basics if you want to compete.
They're on the right track if they have truly improved F&F, the covers and shields look nice, and the handle shapes are cool.
I totally agree. They’re so close to being a fantastic product but are all a bit strange. Another company making high quality traditions would be exciting. If they can make some basic patterns, I’d definitely be interested .

These are interesting, but not quite what I’m looking for. I’m all for a quality knife produced in China, but don’t think these are there. At a $40-60 price point I would stick with Case. RR also needs to develop their own image, the arrowhead shield looks cheap as does the nail nicks. Match strikes have to be done right or they end up looking like a poor afterthought.

Funny bunch. They are capable of doing something really nice, like the D2 sowbelly, the bow trapper or the work knife, but just as capable of a real gaucherie like the big R bolsters on the carbon series. I thought they were doing really well as they were, just refining their product and letting the price inch up slowly.

The Reserve series seems like they are trying too hard, or continuing their tendency to pile on too many “features”. For fitty bucks, I would be more impressed with something really tasteful and really good f&f.

To my eye these are close but no cigar, something seems lost in the translation, the reverse tanto blades of the canoe, hard pass. That leaf shaped blade on the balloon whitler looks out of place to me. The one armed knife, maybe, I could be tempted by that one. I'm interested to see how this line progresses as a curiosity only at this point.

Back