Ruin Your Day...

First off I want to say HI to everyone. I have just recently joined the forums but have been reading along for quite some time. So, Hello to all.

Anyway, just thought that I would share with you a disappointment that crossed my path on last Saturdays camp trip.

She split it two...
(I cant post images yet, waiting on membership approval)
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5uf9iBl_lC6zFM7Ma0zQR7j_Hn7otRwa8xNPtJJeUJo?feat=directlink

I was chopping some sweet oak and then BAM!!! Not only did it chip, but split in half, a clean split at that. Good thing I had enough firewood already split to fuel my fire for the night...

Anyone else have this knife? If so what kind of abuse does your's take?

I have contacted Ontario and they told me to email a pic with an address. I'm hoping they will stand behind there product.

Just thought I would share this.... This kind of thing could happen at anytime to anyone with just about any blade. Always, IMO, Always have a backup.

Always carry a Mora! :p

That's some split. I think they'll cover it. But you're right, you never know, bad things can happen at the worst of times.

yes it alwyas good to have a backup for that exact reason, but oh man thats a compete bummer to have a blade break like that,
:thumbdn:

I'm interested in those really big chips in front of the split. Did that all happen at the same time, or did you produce the chips and keep banging away? Interesting because it didn't split where the chips initiated. Makes me think something is wonky with that blade.

I was batoning for about 15 mins before hand. then needed another log to baton so was chopping away and then out of nowhere she split/chipped all at once.

Well that would suck. I've heard of more than a couple of RTAKII's breaking.

Fyi, you can still post pics through websites like photobucket.

welcome to the forum!

sorry about your knife
to post a pic,just use picturelocation and then {/img]

like this
[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_8E70RkqoBaM/TYe9DU_lYVI/AAAAAAAAAEE/Pbqcp4WSt8k/s640/2011-03-21%2016.35.31.jpg

That is the reason to always carry another knife and a first aid kit too

Glad you were not injured

I guess that one had a 14 minute limit with a baton! (trying to be funny)

I hope they take care of you and replace it.

"Always have a backup" ... good advice!

Might be good to start carrying an axe.

An axe would obviously work, but unless there's a lot more to this than what's been said already, there's really no excuse for this kind of failure and it's a defective batch of steel or poorly HT'd. I've batoned large logs with an Old Hickory butcher knife for years, and it's less than 1/16" thick. The RTAK is made for hacking/slashing/chopping in the outdoors, exactly what it sounds like he was doing, and wood should not cause catastrophic failure in steel.

That sucks, sorry bout your knife. You should buy an esee junglas, esee will warranty a broken knife no guestions asked.

Welcome aboard trout...sorry to hear about your blade. Looks like it was a bad heat-treatment/stress point. I'm sure Ontario will take care of you, but it still sucks. I know warranties are good, but when you're on day two of a seven day trip or deployed to another country, that warranty doesn't help your immediate problem at all. Simply a good reason to at least have a backup, even if it's a smaller blade. Let us know the outcome...

ROCK6

Sorry for your experience, I have seen this hapen to quality knives before.. I was taking a survival course a few years ago and some broke a bk9 in half splittting some iron wood was it d2 or 1095?

This is always a good reason to carry a weeks supply of firewood with you!

Just kidding!
happy0054.gif

A GB Mini or Wildlife Hatchet and a Gerber Sportsman/Exchange-A-Blade/ Bacho Laplander or similar type saw take up very little space, don't weigh much and are very efficient.

Sorry for your experience, I have seen this hapen to quality knives before.. I was taking a survival course a few years ago and some broke a bk9 in half splittting some iron wood was it d2 or 1095?

I was chopping some dried chestnut oak back in 04 on top of North Fork Mt and the bottom corner of my GB Mini broke off:eek:

They sent me another one and it's never broke but that chestnut oak was like iron!

Back