Rust on my new Khukuri??

Any knife made out of higher carbon steel, or spring steel will be prone to rust. Moisture is the enemy.

Easy to fix, and with the type of steel, you have to do maintenance.

I like to force a patina with mustard or vinegar. Then it won't be as rust prone later. Plus I think it looks cool.

That is one down side of higher carbon or spring steel. It is tougher, and the edge will hold better than some steels, but maintenance is a factor.

The wooden scabbard's moist caused the rust problem during shipment transit. If the rust is not gone completly then send it back to HI and I will send a replacement. I want our custmer to be 100 percent happy wiht their Khukuri.

Truley a wonderful thing to hear. If I ever had doubts with HI (which I didn't) they are gone. I thank you very much for your kind service, and will pass the word around that HI is the BEST shop to purchase from. I will be ordering another M43 today. How's that for proof of a Very satisfied customer. Your blades are of such superior quality I could never just send one back due to just a few pits. I am going to file them out, as they are just about .001 in. deep. This blade is going to be my primary tool for cleaning the brush in my yard. I've been putting it off for too long. Now I can work and make it fun all at the same time.

R.J.

Good on you for keeping it.

If you're going to use it, I wouldn't bother filing the spots out, just remove the rust, and maybe do a vinegar or mustard patina. That will inhibit furhter rust and will only look better as you use it.

What were the specs of the M43? Length?, Spine Thickness?

Oh and pictures of the whole thing. You know, kukri pr0n. . .:D

RJ, You will love the M-43. I chopped a little with mine today and found the more I use it, the more I REALLY like it. The small flaws add something for me. My M-43 went from an almost wall hanger to me beating the crap out of it the other week using Uncle Bill's testing procedure. It now has many scratches on the blade, the handle's been customized, and there's a spot of shiny silver solder on the bolster to fix a small crack. And, I love it more now than ever. You have a great khuk, and it appears you have a case of Himalayan Imports Khukuri Virus:). It is virulent. Make room for more khuks you must. Enjoy and post some working shots. Take care.

R.J., don't know whether I'm too late to chime in... occasionally I've found a liberal coat of mineral oil on the affected area left for a day or so tends to lift minor rust off when later wiped from the blade.

my Rajkumar BAS had rust and pitting on the tip when I received it last month. Yangdu disclosed this on receipt and offered to make good on it if I wasn't satisfied.

Knowing I needed to sharpen it anyway, I chose to grind the edge by hand with 600/1500 grit sandpaper on a block. Then I gave the entire blade a rubdown with Simichrome polish. Issue solved. No need for a return.

Nepal>Reno>Your Home = a pretty dramatic climate change. Even though the blades are coated in a preservative, rust can and does happen when stored in the scabbard on transit.

The issues are cosmetic at best. If it's a user - these are non issues. With a little work, surface rust can easily be removed on a presentation piece as well.

Once I bought an Everest K advertised with the side note "10 minutes of rust removal." Looked like it got some moisture on the tip during shipping cuz it was real easy to remove. Just the regular ol' mousepad sharpening took it off & it never came back. Looks good as new & proved sharp enough to durn near take my finger off when I got careless (doh!)

Back